What Cities In Virginia And The U.S.....

Old July 10th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Ron Audet

Default What Cities In Virginia And The U.S.....

Most of the historic area has banned motor vehicles for years, but there are
certain streets on the perimeter of the area that allow cars in order to
provide access to the homes and inns in the center. Remember that most of
the restored houses in the historic area of Williamsburg are private
residences, and the occupants need to be able to reach their homes by car.

The modern areas of Williamsburg have no vehicle restrictions.

I lived in Williamsburg for ten years until 1998, and I still visit there
every few weeks, so I am familiar with the system.

Ron

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
No. A part of the historic area has restrictions but not even all of
that area. I remember driving directly to the 16th century house where
my hotel room was.

meurgues wrote:

"Gomez Addams" wrote in message

Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

Williamsburg. When I was there a week ago. didier Meurgues

Old July 10th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Olivers

Frank F. Matthews extrapolated from data available...

I didn't notice much change wandering thru today. What mix shift are
you detecting. They are in the process of losing a couple of
department stores but I doubt that there will be too much difference.
There were a couple of stores which moved in as a form of anti
takeover move a while ago. The place was over run with department
stores. Certainly the Mexico traffic has suffered but, in many ways,
the Galleria was a form of downtown -- except auto friendly.

High end department stores are suffering at the hands of the big boxes and
the "outlet malls", and those big renters have always paid most of the cost
of operations of the big malls (plus a vacated department store becomes a
challenge to rent). Houston's Galleria is unlikely to suffer badly because
it sits right smack in the midst of a stcked employment, hotel, and
entertainment area, heavily traveled and highly trafficed. Stretching from
"Eatzis" on the North almost to the Southwest Freeway, Galleria feeds on
itself.

In comparison, only a few miles away, once Houston's premier "mall" (before
Galleria) and even farther into the suburbs, Town and Country has been
eaten by the strips and big boxes.

TMO

Old July 10th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Gregory Morrow

Doug McDonald wrote:

Here in Central Illinois it has been tried, the major
street, the only convenient south-bound one, was blocked.

Champaign, Urbana, or...???

IIRC when I lived in Champaign in the late 70's downtown one of downtown
Champaign's main streets was closed to traffic. It was a pleasant little
downtown with a nice little full - service department store, (Robeson's),
and an adjacent old - fashioned park, etc. but it was dead even then....

--
Best
Greg

Old July 11th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Gomez Addams" wrote:

Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

Philadelphia banned traffic (except for buses and emergency vehicles)
from approximately a one mile stretch of Chestnut Street. That ban
met with nothing but opposition from local merchants and drivers. The
ban was lifted a year or two ago, if I remember correctly.

Old July 12th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe John Munch wrote:
But none of these places are closing all their streets or going ######## or
anything like that?
"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message

No, but I wasn't responding to those questions. I was talking about
comparing what some American cities are doing to the European carless
sections of towns (The Fussgangerzone phenomenon)

Julie

In rec.travel.europe Gomez Addams wrote:
Are banning cars in their downtown areas? Here in Utah part of Main
Street in our capital is off limits to motor traffic.

These are not necessarily "downtown" areas. They are mostly suburban

areas.
They're usually referred to as "Town Center" as in Reston Town Center,
Fairfax Town Center, etc. It's confusing because some of these "town

Centers"
are actually malls (STerling Town Center). But others have blocked off
streets. There are others, a lot of Colonial Williamsburg and the

commercial
area abutting it are closed to traffic, I think there is a neighborhood in
Richmond.

All are places to spend money. Many (Reston Town Center) are built around

single commercial development, but have many different things happening,

hotels,
outdoor concerts, movies, restaurants, nearby apartments in addition to

stores.

There used to be a walking zone in DC near the American Art Museum. I

think
not since they started refurbishing it.

Julie

Julie