New York expenses?

Old January 31st, 2005, 12:23 AM
Brian Tannam

Default New York expenses?

Would someone kindly tell me how far US$2000 would go over 7 days in New
York
considering the hotel and flights are already paid for but all meals,
sight-seeing
and transfers for 2 adults from and to JFK are not?

Brian

Old January 31st, 2005, 12:57 AM
Bill

"Brian Tannam" wrote in message
Would someone kindly tell me how far US$2000 would go over 7 days in New
York
considering the hotel and flights are already paid for but all meals,
sight-seeing
and transfers for 2 adults from and to JFK are not?

Brian

If you look carefully, you may be able to get a room for $120 a night, but
that would take some looking, and you may have to stay away from midtown.
That leaves $1160. If you stick to deli's for breakfast and lunch, and only
go out to a nice restaurant a few times, that leaves money for a couple of
shows. Note: There are discount Broadway show tickets available on the day
of performance at a kiosk just north of Times Square. You won't get the
most popular shows, but you'll still get something good. Museums are not
expensive. Taxi rides can be expensive, but you can purchase an all day
subway pass for about $5 a person per day (this may be a little off). Study
the subway maps: you can get almost anyplace you want that way.

Your key would be lodging.

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:07 AM

I don't know how to reply, really. You could easily spend that, twice that,
or many times $2,000. Or you could go home with change left in your pocket.
At street level, New York has something for every pocketbook. Public
transportation is cheap enough. Any 'Irish' pub will fill you up for just a
few dollars, as will many other 'ethnic' places, and plenty of plain-old
American restaurants. Museums have set fees that allow the masses in,
though some special exhibits may incur additional charges. Broadway shows
are expensive, even at half-price, but if you want to see one you can offset
the cost with a few sidewalk lunches - hot dogs, kebabs or whatever.

You can do fine on $100 or less per day, and if you average that, then
you'll have money for one or two splurge days, too. Other than maybe a
Gray-Line boat around Manhattan Island and another boat to the Statue of
Liberty, you'll do most of your touring on foot anyhow, and for free.
There's a great view of the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry,
which is free to begin with.

Two weeks is good. Read up, ask questions here, then pick a neighborhood
for each day of your trip. When you're in the city, do NOT be afraid to ask
questions of those around you. New York is a city of talkers, and any
question from a visitor can easily draw a small crowd and many opinions, so
be prepared and have fun.

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:43 AM
Larry

Bill wrote:
[...]

Ummm, I think you missed the part where he said hotel was paid for.
Larry

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:50 AM
Larry

Brian Tannam wrote:
Would someone kindly tell me how far US$2000 would go over 7 days in

New
York
considering the hotel and flights are already paid for but all meals,

sight-seeing
and transfers for 2 adults from and to JFK are not?

For transfers, allow aboutt $50 each way. (You can do it for less, but
that's a safe number).

That leaves you about $275 a day. You can eat well and sightsee quite
well for that amount. Public transit is $7 a day per person (for daily
unlimited metrocards, or a little less for a weekly). Throw in a couple
of taxis for $10 per trip (not per person). Museums typically run about
$20-$30 per person. For meals, you can get a good breakfast for $5 to
$10, lunch for about$10. Splurge for a couple of fancy dinners, but you
can get good dinners for under $30.

Don't bother with the tour buses; just use city buses on the unlimited
metrocard.

Larry

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:50 AM
Bill

"Larry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bill wrote:
[...]

LOL, I did miss that part. In that case, $2000 for two weeks and two
people....well they can certainly have a good old time! That's $71 a day
per person. If they take some meals from sidewalk venders and cheaper
restaurants they can do quite well.

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:53 AM
Service Tech

"Bill" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bill wrote:
[...]

He said $2000.00 for 7 days, Bill. I think they can do OK. Although my
wife could cancel that 2 grand in about 8 hours of shopping.

Old January 31st, 2005, 02:55 AM
Bill

"Larry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Brian Tannam wrote:
[...]

I think you're over-estimating. (I did also in my follow-up post...I'm not
having a good evening. First I didn't notice that hotel was paid, then I
was thinking 14 days).

I think you can get to Manhattan from the airport for considerably less than
$50 each way. Museums are often much less than $20-$30 per person, although
I haven't been to the NYC art museums, so I don't know what they charge. I
know the Natural History museum was much less. You can get breakfast and
lunch for cheaper if you go to a bagel place for breakfast and a deli for
lunch.

Old January 31st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Icono Clast

Brian Tannam wrote:
Would someone kindly tell me how far US$2000 would go over 7 days
in New York considering the hotel and flights are already paid for
but all meals, sight-seeing and transfers for 2 adults from and to
JFK are not?

$285 a day? Way far!
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/