Costa Rica Digest Jan 28

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Destiny Worldwide Net

Default Costa Rica Digest Jan 28

Costa Rica News Digest

A publication of Destiny Worldwide Net
http://www.destiny-worldwide.net

Also Visit the Costa Rica Page:
http://www.destiny-worldwide.net/costa-rica/

Subscribe:
Unsubscribe:

TODAY'S CONTENTS

*News Digest

SPONSOR'S MESSAGE
If you want to be successful in the years to
come, with the new technology of the internet,
you need to break free of the limitations that
bind the majority of people. ONe of the worst
problems individuals and businesses face today
are high taxes, unfair litigation, lack of
privacy in financial matters, etc.

You cannot be truly successful and free unless
you use all the tools at your disposal, which
includes being financially free, and learning
the ingredients to true success.

These secrets used to not be available to the
ordinary person. They were the guarded secrets
of the elite.

Destiny Worldwide is unique in that we not only give
you the education you need to succeed, but we also
give you access to cutting edge tools in many
different aspects.

From e-commerce to success in your career, regular
business, and handling your finances secure from
the many risks out there today, our constellation
of services gives you the advantages you need to
succeed.

Go to these websites to begin running down the road
to your successful future today!

http://www.destiny-worldwide.net

http://www.offshorearnings.com

You'll be glad you did!
FEATURE ARTICLE

DISCUSSION

Please send your discussion topics to

If you are not yet a member of this egroup,
you may either subscribe from your yahoogroups
members area, or subscribe by email by sending
a blank email to:

This group is for the distrubution of the Digest
as well as discussion on topics of interest to
those living or wanting to live in Costa Rica.

Enjoy!
NEWS DIGEST
*Fishman Quits The Vice Presidency

For almost three years, Luis Fishman, has been second vice-president of
Costa

Rica, though with no office or official duties after his run with president

Abel Pacheco, has tendered his resignation.

Fishman, who has been active since April 2002, a month before taking the

vice-presidential post that he could not resign at the time for

constitutional reasons, will now return to the political arena. He belongs

the Partido Unidad Social Cristiana (PUSC) and is the fifth vice president
in

the country's history to resign from office.

Fishman told the daily Spanish language newspaper La Nación that he feels it

is time to incorporate himself in national politics. The former

vice-president said he has no aspiration to run for president, however, he

did dismiss the idea of running for a spot in the Legislature.

President Pacheco, from Ecuador where is currently on an official visit

following a meeting of Latin American chiefs over the European Union's
banana

tarriff proposal, said he wishes "Don Luis" best of luck. Pacheco added that

as vice-president, Fishman worked independently and he is not aware of what

he done for the last three years.

The bitterness between the two men came in February of 2002 following the

first round vote in the presidential election, when then presidential

candidate Pacheco separated himself fro Fishman and promised him no official

role in his government.

Many believe that Fishman was kept out by a whim on the president's part,

following a discussion by the two men during the election. And many believe

that Fishman was the master behind the political win by Pacheco and was

unjustly wronged.

Fishman tried to resign his position before the second round election that

saw Pacheco take the presidential chair and Fishman in as second

vice-president. The country's political constitution did not permit him to

resign at the time and Fishman took the title but with no official duties or

responsibilities.

Fishman in his resignation letter said "for reasons beyond my control, for

the last three years I could fulfill my duties bestowed on by Costa Ricans."

Under Costa Rica's political constitution, if the president is not able to

carry out his duties, the first vice-president would replace the president.

In the event the first vice-president is not able to take the office of the

president, the second vice-president could then be called upon.

*New Immigration Law Would See Couple Live Together For One Year Before

Applying for Residency

Following a decision by the Sala IV - the Constitutional Court - that said

that the immigration service cannot investigate or refuse residency to a

foreigner who is marriage to a Costa Rican, deputies are studying a new law

by Migración y Extranjería where it will regulate "marriages of
convenience".

The new law proposes that the couple must have lived at lived at least one

year together as one of the requirements of residency. The new law would be

be in contravention of the Sala IV order, but would make it a requisite of

residency.

The new law would also punish from two to six years in prison or high fines

to those who practice "coyotage" - arranging the marriages for financial

gain.

The proposed law is in the discussion stage and various parties have

differing opinion, however, it is expected to hit the legislative floor

within a few weeks.

*Tourism in Limón Down Due to Floods

Asociación Costarricense de Profesionales en Turismo (ACOPROT) confirmed

yesterday a 70% cancellation rate by visitors to the Caribbean tourist
spots.

Worried about possible flooding and bad weather was the primary reason for

the high cancellation rate, following more than two weeks of torrential rain

and flooding in the area so Sarapiquí, Talamanca and Sixaola.

According to hotel owners, bad road conditions due to the flooding has

reduced occupation levels to 25% in the last few weeks when this is supposed

to the "high" season and getting a hotel room in the area is almost

impossible.

In addition, to cruise liners cancelled their stop in the Port of Limón due

to the bad weather and not place passengers at risk.

Locations like Manzanillo and Puerto Viejo, two hot tourists spots, did not

suffer any major flooding, though they are suffering from the low number of

tourists coming to the area.

Some tourists operators are telling their clients not to visit the area and

others believe that the whole Caribbean coast is under water. Some parts,

like the town of Sixaola, bordering Panama, were severely affected by the

floods, but many tourist areas were not.

The Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT) - the tourism board - is

assuring potential visitors that access to the Limón province is normal.

Tourism in Limón employs about 12.700 people. There are more than 365

operators offering some 3.784 rooms for lodging.

*OIJ To Use DNA To Curb Cattle Theft

The use of DNA testing is applied in many ways in a criminal investigation
by

police authorities. We've see the television shows where DNA became the

principal evidence in a case. And we've read the headlines in newspapers
were

DNA has set free many innocents after spending years in jail.

Now in Costa Rica officials of the Organismo de Investigación Judicial (OIJ)

will use DNA testing to curb the theft of cattle.

Last year, according to official reports, there were 2.342 heads of cattle

stolen. If a value of ¢250.000 colones (us$545 dollars) is placed on each

head of cattle, the loss would surpass ¢500 million colones (over us$1

million dollars).

For the most part, cattle thieves butcher the animals and sell of the meat.

Thus, the OIJ will use DNA testing to fight the cattle thieves, confirmed
OIJ

director, Jorge Rojas.

The OIJ will test confiscated contraband meat with the DNA of the other
meats

where the animals are butchered. Rojas added that the OIJ will call for more

rigorous controls of branding the cattle by their owners.

*Bulgarian Scammer Arrested

Kitov Ivan Velinov, a Bulgarian who was the target of a worldwide search

because of his participation in a multi-million scam in his country, was

arrested by the Costa Rican police.

Velinov, 42, had lived in Costa Rica since 1998 under a false identity. He

posed as Jack Hassell Bosman Petrova, name under which he married here and

obtained the status of permanent resident.

Velinov, whose deeds had affected two banks in Bulgaria, tried to get a U.S.

visa from the American Consulate in San Jose.

This was the key to his arrest, because the US consular authorities found
out

who he actually was and alerted the local police.

COSTA RICA DIGEST DISPLAY AD RATES
This publication is designed to have one display add
between each article or section. Thus, the more
articles or sections we have per day, the more room we
have for advertisements. Advertisements are filled
on a first come first served basis, and prices vary
depending on placement and frequency. You must order
a minimum of 5 insertions with your order. If there
are no advertising positions available right away,
you will be placed on a waiting list and notified
when a spot becomes available. Please email us
at
for more details.

One final note, if you want to do a solo mailing
to the list, that is available on a limited basis
if we decide that your product or service has merit.
Email us at the above address for more details.
COSTA RICA CLASSIFIEDS

If you have a worthwhile, honest offering, please
email us. New subscribers get a free five line
ad for a month. If you have used up your free
ad, or would like to place another one, the low
price is only $1.00 per line per issue. we have
a min. ad of three lines and you must insert in
at least three issues. to submit your ad, please
email your ad to

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Diners, Discover,
e-checks, e-gold, evocash, netpay, pecunix,
e-bullion, Picpay, Moneybookers, and
Offshorearnings. We make e-commerce EASY!

We give you hard hitting, timely, common sense articles and
news that the mainstream, or corporate media, either will
not or cannot give you. Several times a week we bring you
an up to date digest on what is going on in the world around
you.

At The Costa Rica Digest, we don't give you hype or BS or
"common knowledge" solutions, but we aim to give you
the cutting edge information you need. If you wish to
become a writer for us, submit your article[s] for
approval to
. We cannot
pay for articles, but, instead, you may include a resource
box at the end of your article promoting your website
or product. We welcome submissions of all kinds to
make this a great publication for all to read!
them may be found he

http://www.destiny-worldwide.net/boards.htm

The Restoration Website:
http://www.destiny-worldwide.net/rcg/

Destiny Central Success Resources
http://www.destiny-worldwide.net

The Costa Rica Page --
The Fun, the Sun.... The business opportunity
http://www.destiny-worldwide.net/costa-rica/

Your Safe, Secure, Offshore Payment Processor
http://www.offshorearnings.com

----------------- Visit our Blogs! -----------------
---- SuccessQuest http://successquest.blogspot.com/
---- The Real Truth http://destiny-worldwide.blogspot.com/
---- Costa Rica News http://costa-rica-news.blogspot.com/

----Gaming solutions, and Ecurrency systems and usages !
----- New Investment Opportunities ------
---- Encryption Services, Relocation Services to
---- Costa Rica, and Elsewhere Privacy/Offshore Consultations
---- Send email to: for info.
---- Become the Success You Deserve in Life!
---- Visit Destiny Central
http://www.destiny-worldwide.net ---
Get Spiritual Refreshment. Restore your soul.
---- http://www.destiny-worldwide.net/rcg/ -----------------
---- Discover the mystery of Costa Rica!