How heavy is a door?

Old December 16th, 2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
P T

Default How heavy is a door?

I think some of the emergency exits have doors that remove completely,
as opposed to opening on hinges. It strikes me those things must be
heavy, maybe even too heavy for many men to easily manipulate.

Does anyone know how heavy those doors are?

Old December 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

P T wrote:
I think some of the emergency exits have doors that remove completely,
as opposed to opening on hinges. It strikes me those things must be
heavy, maybe even too heavy for many men to easily manipulate.

Does anyone know how heavy those doors are?

I think it is most common that emergency doors be removed prior to exit.
That is the only kind I remember, unless you mean the doors also used
for normal exit.

The emergency exit door on a 737-300 weighs 47 pounds.

Here is some info on the specific amount of force required to open the
doors on a 757-200. It also includes the emergency exit door weight. An
overwing emergency exit door weighs about 50 pounds.
http://aviation-safety.net/airlinesa...e=105&config=1
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

P T writes:

I think some of the emergency exits have doors that remove completely,
as opposed to opening on hinges. It strikes me those things must be
heavy, maybe even too heavy for many men to easily manipulate.

They aren't that heavy; they only have to resist air pressure, and
they can't be too heavy or they would add significant weight to the
plane.

However, it is true that flight attendants will always seat reasonably
fit and strong passengers near the exit doors, because they have to be
able to help the crew open them in the event of an emergency (although
the crew usually doesn't mention this to the passenger). That's why
you might see a linebacker next to an exit door, but not a
90-year-old, five-foot woman.

Old December 16th, 2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Mxsmanic wrote:
P T writes:

I think some of the emergency exits have doors that remove completely,
as opposed to opening on hinges. It strikes me those things must be
heavy, maybe even too heavy for many men to easily manipulate.

They aren't that heavy; they only have to resist air pressure, and
they can't be too heavy or they would add significant weight to the
plane.

However, it is true that flight attendants will always seat reasonably
fit and strong passengers near the exit doors

When this row is empty you can be practically ordered to sit their.
Fine by me as there is
more leg room.

On some smaller aircraft you are advised not to open the door "in the
event of smoke and flames" Very re-assuring..

Old December 17th, 2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Mxsmanic wrote:
P T writes:

I think some of the emergency exits have doors that remove completely,
as opposed to opening on hinges. It strikes me those things must be
heavy, maybe even too heavy for many men to easily manipulate.

They aren't that heavy; they only have to resist air pressure, and
they can't be too heavy or they would add significant weight to the
plane.

However, it is true that flight attendants will always seat reasonably
fit and strong passengers near the exit doors, because they have to be
able to help the crew open them in the event of an emergency (although
the crew usually doesn't mention this to the passenger). That's why
you might see a linebacker next to an exit door, but not a
90-year-old, five-foot woman.

On US carriers, FA's don't usually decide who sits in the exit row.
If someone is obviously unable to do the job, they can be removed, but I
have never seen anyone removed, and I often sit in or near the exit row.

Old December 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Mike Hunt writes:

On US carriers, FA's don't usually decide who sits in the exit row.

Flight attendants can tell anyone to sit anywhere. They are required
to ensure that anyone seated next to an exit is able-bodied.

Old December 17th, 2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message Mike Hunt
postmaster@localhost wrote:

On US carriers, FA's don't usually decide who sits in the exit row.
If someone is obviously unable to do the job, they can be removed, but I
have never seen anyone removed, and I often sit in or near the exit row.

I've seen people relocated once, although I didn't catch the details.

For my own part, I was once seated on a flight with a flight attendant
who gave me the third degree... "How do you know you can handle lifting
and moving a 40lbs door?" -- Since I buy cat litter in heavier boxes
then that, and pretty regularly carry two while dodging cats I felt
reasonably comfortable to being able to handle it -- He seemed satisfied
with that answer.

Other then that, it's usually just the usual Q&A once you're in the
seat, but both at check-in (if applicable) and at the gate they tend to
mention it's an exit row.

I haven't had one in 1.5 years now though, so the rules may have
changed.

--
We know America is a great nation! Where else could a poor black boy
be born in utter poverty and end up a rich white man?