Camera theft prevention

Old April 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected][_2_]

Default Camera theft prevention

On Apr 17, 5:36 am, steve wrote:
My wife and I just returned from a mostly enjoyable trip to Spain,
Morocco and Portugal. Unfortunately, our camera along with all our
pictures of Spain was stolen on our first day in Portugal. I was
getting onto a crowded subway train and had the camera in my backpack.
We had thought it was safer in the backpack than carrying it loose.
Anyway there was lots of pushing to get into the subway which made it
impossible to tell that someone had their hand in my backpack. After
removing the camera I was shoved into the car. I just thought it was
the usual crowd push.

I guess I'd have the camera somewhere at the bottom of the pack.
Also, some packs have inside pockets, can be locked and so on.

We have already decided to use smaller memory cars in the camera so
that at most one week of pictures can be lost. It would be nice to
have some way to simply move all the days pictures to a separate
memory card or other safe place but I'm not going to carry a laptop or
visit an internet café every day

there are iPod sized devices that can store your pictures like
Nikon Coolwalker or some device from digimagic. I'm sure there are
others.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

Old April 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Nelson

Remember that having your valuables behind you is very vulnerable to
thieves. I have a beat-up day pack I've lined with 1/2" closed-cell
foam ruber for more impact resistance. On vacation, I only sling it on
my back if away from crowds or walking on the street. In the latter
case my wife walks right behind me to keep an eye on it.

In crowded spaces I'll sling it over one shoulder with the top zipper
beneath my arm. I minimize the time the camera is out of the bag as
well.

My 2˘.
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article . com,
steve wrote:

My wife and I just returned from a mostly enjoyable trip to Spain,
Morocco and Portugal. Unfortunately, our camera along with all our
pictures of Spain was stolen on our first day in Portugal. I was
getting onto a crowded subway train and had the camera in my backpack.
We had thought it was safer in the backpack than carrying it loose.
Anyway there was lots of pushing to get into the subway which made it
impossible to tell that someone had their hand in my backpack. After
removing the camera I was shoved into the car. I just thought it was
the usual crowd push.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the safest way to carry a camera? I
don't want to spend all my time being paranoid. I think of myself as
reasonable careful but there will always be momentary lapses when you
are distracted, perhaps intentionally.

We have already decided to use smaller memory cars in the camera so
that at most one week of pictures can be lost. It would be nice to
have some way to simply move all the days pictures to a separate
memory card or other safe place but I'm not going to carry a laptop or
visit an internet café every day

Thanks
Steve Gerdemann

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:09:39 -0400,
Viking has scripted:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:22:22 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Simple: lockable backpack.

Uh... but then you have to spend time locking and unlocking it. Surely
it's easier to carry it in front of you.

I wouldn't count on that--got pickpocketed in a front pocket (yes,
that was part of the infamous Rome incident...) and ever since then
keep my wallet in back pockets with buttons on the pockets. Have heard
of thieves ripping backpacks off the front of people (presumably
easier than ripping it off their backs), not to mention thieves
getting access to the "front"pack in thick crowds (friend of mine
found his backpack, carried in front, opened in the London
tube--nothing seemed to be missing).

The problem there was that he wasn't alert. Be alert and you will damn
well know when your bag is opened, no matter where it's sitting!

Frankly, I think the thing about having the material cut to get access
is nothing more than an urban myth. I've never known of anyone
(directly or indirectly) that it's happened to. Think about how hard
it would actually be to slice open and remove something.

Plus, I would find it irritating to carry a backpack in front,
actually. And I don't particularly want to look like a dweeb.

Yeah, I have never done that either. It looks really sad.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd certainly be willing to put in the time
to lock and unlock a backpack. Seems like this is a matter of choice.

I'd rather stay attentive. No one ever got pick pocketed whilst
staying alert. Thieves look for the oblivious ones instead, of which
there's always one.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:13:48 +0200,
Magda magda@eu has scripted:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:11:58 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, "singlemalt"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... Real simple. If you really,really do not want your camera stolen then tie it
... to you , perhaps around your belt or around your waist with a small sized
... length of nylon cord.It cannot be stolen unless they want to go to the
... trouble to cut the cord, which they probably won't since it is usually a
... case of grab and go. Also if they see that the camera is tethered to your
... body someway they will be discoraged from trying to steal it anyway because
... it is too much trouble.

I wear my camera across my chest, with a light jacket over it. Never had anyone trying to
steal it.

Putting it between your tits means it's hard to take without you
noticing!
--
---
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:36:43 +0200,
Magda magda@eu has scripted:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:34:53 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Deeply Filled Mortician
[...]

No, really...?

Mmmm... tiiiiiiits....
--
---
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 00:17:43 +0200,
Martin has scripted:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:55:57 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Martin

... On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:36:43 +0200, Magda magda@eu wrote:
... On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:34:53 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Deeply Filled Mortician
... arranged some electrons, so they looked like
... this:
... ... Make credence recognised that on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:13:48 +0200,
... ... Magda magda@eu has scripted:
... ...
[...]
... Put it where the sun don't shine?

Learn better English?

It's a colloquial expression, dear.

It's international, I think you'll find.
--
---
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:33:41 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

I'd rather stay attentive. No one ever got pick pocketed whilst
staying alert. Thieves look for the oblivious ones instead, of which
there's always one.

the police told my wife that thieves go for the weak one, same as a
lion eyeing up deer.

They said alertness helps a lot, mad look is also good. If you are
small and female and inattentive you will be a preferred target.

This agrees very strongly with the person I know who has been repeatly
mugged and bag snatched. Small, female, inattentive.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

wrote:

Frankly, I think the thing about having the material cut to get access
is nothing more than an urban myth. I've never known of anyone
(directly or indirectly) that it's happened to. Think about how hard
it would actually be to slice open and remove something.

I was once mugged in the US. Two young men ran past me on opposite
sides. The one on the left grabbed my purse. The one on the right
sliced the pocket off my coat. He was so fast that I didn't notice
until hours later that the pocket was missing. There was nothing in
the pocket, but if there had been, he would have got it.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:02:06 +0200, B
has scripted:

wrote:

Frankly, I think the thing about having the material cut to get access
is nothing more than an urban myth. I've never known of anyone
(directly or indirectly) that it's happened to. Think about how hard
it would actually be to slice open and remove something.

I was once mugged in the US. Two young men ran past me on opposite
sides. The one on the left grabbed my purse. The one on the right
sliced the pocket off my coat. He was so fast that I didn't notice
until hours later that the pocket was missing. There was nothing in
the pocket, but if there had been, he would have got it.

He actually did it with a knife?
--
---
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

wrote:

Frankly, I think the thing about having the material cut to get access
is nothing more than an urban myth. I've never known of anyone
(directly or indirectly) that it's happened to. Think about how hard
it would actually be to slice open and remove something.

I was once mugged in the US. Two young men ran past me on opposite
sides. The one on the left grabbed my purse. The one on the right
sliced the pocket off my coat. He was so fast that I didn't notice
until hours later that the pocket was missing. There was nothing in
the pocket, but if there had been, he would have got it.

He actually did it with a knife?

I really don't know, as I was totally unaware of what he was doing. I
supposed that he had used a razor blade. However, it was cleanly
sliced away, leaving only thread ends hanging, and the cloth
underneath the pocket was not damaged at all.