Need help to pick a base in Provence to explore !

Old November 5th, 2003, 06:01 AM
6656

Default Need help to pick a base in Provence to explore !

We will be in France in Dec 03(Yes in about 25 days time. This is our
first visit to France although we been to germany( www.kvictor.us )

Will be in Provence for a week( 1st week of December). Looking for a
village to be based to explore the region at a relax space without
having to driving much in a day.

After searching & reading through the forum, I am a bit confused to
pick which village/town for our base. We are looking for medival town,
with still remains us of the last century.

My group (wife + 2kids and me)would prefer to stay in a B&B or chambre
d'hote where we can really mix well with the locals
Old November 5th, 2003, 07:41 PM
OughtFour

"6656" wrote in message
om...
Will be in Provence for a week( 1st week of December). Looking for a
village to be based to explore the region at a relax space without
having to driving much in a day.

After searching & reading through the forum, I am a bit confused to
pick which village/town for our base. We are looking for medival town,
with still remains us of the last century.

My group (wife + 2kids and me)would prefer to stay in a B&B or chambre
d'hote where we can really mix well with the locals

I think there are many likely candidates. I can only describe two based on
personal experience, St. Remy-de-Provence and Arles.

St. Remy-de-Provence is a small town SW of Avignon. It has a well-preserved
old town center and some interesting Roman antiquities on the edge of town.

Arles is a small city south of Avignon. It has some impressive antiquities
and mideaval sites and lots of charm.

Arles also has good rail connections to Avignon, Orange, and Marseilles.
Both towns offer interesting drive-to opportunites to, for instance,
(roughly west to east) Nimes, the Pont du Gard, Les Baux, and the Luberon
valley.

I'm not sure what the implications for a winter visit are, but I am tempted
to suppose that many attractions are on reduced hours. Also the omnibus
service that connects many of these cities may be on a reduced schedule,
wiht some routes (such as Arles-Nimes) not available at all.

If you are staying for a full week, you may want to consider a rental.

I'I don't know what you meant by "with still remains us of the last
century." But, I hope these remarks are helpful. As I said, I think there
are probably many likely candidates, these are just two of them.

Have a great trip!

Old November 6th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Agree with OughtFour. Arles is super--and brilliantly central. It has
Ste. Marie de la Mere on the coast to the south, Aigue Morte not far away,
Nimes a doable drive, Les Baux within reach, Avignon too--you can even get
to Aix and Cassis on the motorway in reasonable time. St. Remy is even
more intimate and natural in some ways, though Arles is more of a medieval
whole, and will give you more options.

Old November 6th, 2003, 01:58 AM
R J Carpenter

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
Agree with OughtFour. Arles is super--and brilliantly central. It has
Ste. Marie de la Mere on the coast to the south, Aigue Morte not far

away,
Nimes a doable drive, Les Baux within reach, Avignon too--you can even

get
to Aix and Cassis on the motorway in reasonable time. St. Remy is even
more intimate and natural in some ways, though Arles is more of a medieval
whole, and will give you more options.

And you didn't mention Orange.

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:16 AM
mpprh

Hi

Arles is a good base.

It has medieval streets with roman antiquities.

Probably won't see too much from the last century, though !

Peter

The Languedoc Page

http://tlp.netfirms.com

Originally posted by 6656