food on airplane

Old January 10th, 2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

Default food on airplane

This is not uncommon Sheree, and in the future you will probably see more
situations like this. It is because the two Airlines have Code Sharing
agreements. Air France will sell a Delta flight as if it was their own and vice
versa. Usually during the booking process there will be small print saying
"operated by .... " or words to that effect. Also, if two carriers list a flight
departing at the same time that is a good clue that they are Code Shared. Always
try to find out who is operating the Flight and what type of Aircraft it is.

Even though your ticket was issued by Air France you will be on a Delta Flight
and you should be prepared for that level of service.

We often get the reverse. There is a daily Air France flight direct from San
Francisco to Paris and it is not unusual for Delta to sell it for a lot less
than AF has it listed for. It really does pay to shop carefully and pay
attention to the details of the booking.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , sheree says...

interesting. I booked air france for our cruise this summer, at $400 pp
less than the american carriers. Thinking along the same lines, re food,
service etc. But guess what! We're on Delta. the same flights thru Delta
were at the higher rate interestingly enough. Guess even though I booked AF
and it says dinner I should be prepared!
sheree

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
It has become somewhat of a necessity to bring personal food aboard
airctaft
now. Just in order to survive.

On our most recent adventure we flew a major American carrier SFO to
Prague and
even though it was an International Trans Atlantic flight all the
passengers got
was some dried out Sandwich packets, cookies, and peanuts. Better food was
available of course.

On our return flight on Air Tahiti Nui, Paris to Los Angeles, as soon as
we were
safely airborne here came an attendant with a beverage cart. It was loaded
with
snacks, all sorts of wine, Scotch, Grey Goose, Jack Daniels, etc.
I ask her what the charge was for drinks and she smiled and said
complimentary
of course, unlimited. During the flight we were served snacks, two hot and
complete meals, and between meals there were trays of sandwiches and stuff
available in the galley.

We were at back in the Coach cheap seats, I don't want to know what the
people
up in Business and First were getting.

It is to the point that I always try to book on non US carriers if
possible.
Usually the equipment is newer, the service is superior, and the prices
are
often less.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Nonnymus says...

Since I always have bought a burger or sub to eat on a SW flight just
before boarding, I admit to never having focused in on this question:
While I know that TSA confiscates most liquids carried through security,
what's their position on hamburgers, fries, Arby's sandwiches and even
KFC?

To date, I've not read of the terrorist creeps developing an exploding
chicken leg, and outside of intestinal gas created by fast food
sandwiches, I don't see how they could disrupt an otherwise exhilarating
6-hour flight crammed into an aluminum cigar tube careening across the
sky. I know that here in 'Vegas we have a Burger King in the concourse
after the TSA folk, but what if I try bringing a $3.29 cheese Whopper
through TSA instead of boying a $7 one from inside the security perimeter?

Nonny

Old January 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

exactly, same flight, $400 pp less than booking thru delta! It's an
overnight flight so I hope to sleep and not worry about dinner at 9pm
anyway. Coming back is a different story
sheree

Old January 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
... On our most recent adventure we flew a major American carrier SFO to
Prague and
even though it was an International Trans Atlantic flight all the
passengers got
was some dried out Sandwich packets, cookies, and peanuts. Better food was
available of course.
On our return flight on Air Tahiti Nui, Paris to Los Angeles, as soon as
we were
safely airborne here came an attendant with a beverage cart. It was loaded
with
snacks, all sorts of wine, Scotch, Grey Goose, Jack Daniels, etc.
I ask her what the charge was for drinks and she smiled and said
complimentary
of course, unlimited. ...

Sort of like our more recent experiences on foreign vs US airlines to
cruises leaving from European ports. Three years ago- Air France from
Washington Dulles to Paris then on to Lisbon (Oceania Trans-Atlantic). Good
to excellent meals (dinner and breakfast) on the plane- complimentary
beer/wine/mixed drinks. We missed our connection in Paris and Air France
have us food and drink vouchers for the time we had to wait for a later
flight. We returned from Barbados on three short flights so meals weren't
important. This past fall- Lufthansa from Washington Dulles to Munich then
on to Barcelona- (another Oceania Trans-Atlantic) good dinner and breakfast
on the plane with complimentary beer/wine/mixed drinks. Return from Rio de
Janeiro on United non-stop to Dulles. TV dinner at about 1am (departure at
11:05 pm). Water/soft drinks free, but anything else was priced. Cold
snack for breakfast. Everything pre-packed was past its noted expiration
date. On the plus side, the flight attendants were very good- kept offering
water/juice/soft drinks all night to anyone awake. And, the seats in the
United 767 were far more comfortable than the Lufthansa Airbus.
Paul Johnson

Old January 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

Looks like you enjoy the Oceania TransAtlantics. We did our first last March,
Miami to Marseille, and really enjoyed it. A bunch of us are doing a repeat this
next November on the Regatta, Barcelona to Miami. Consider this an invitiation
to join us. Are you any good at Trivia ???

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Paul Johnson says...

Old January 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

J Carnaghie wrote:

I wonder if a sub placed in a quart plastic bag would be acceptable to
the TSA folks? Our local sub shop makes a wonderful "traditional" sub
for a price far less than what the airport burger huts charges.
Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)

From what I understand, you can take a sub on a flight, as long as you
display your condiments in a ziploc bag, and they weigh less than 3 ounces.

BTW, if you fly during meal times, Continental still feeds you, even on
a short, 3 hour flight.

Becca
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 02:19:56 GMT, J Carnaghie
wrote:

I wonder if a sub placed in a quart plastic bag
would be acceptable to the TSA folks?

Hi John,

SAS served us pre-packaged reindeer sandwiches on a Trans-Atlantic
flight. They did not look appetizing so I did pass. I did have
freshly made reindeer in Norway. It was not bad but I felt bad
because I might have been eating Rudolph. :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
SAS served us pre-packaged reindeer sandwiches on a Trans-Atlantic
flight. They did not look appetizing so I did pass. I did have
freshly made reindeer in Norway. It was not bad but I felt bad
because I might have been eating Rudolph. :+)

Ray, we are booked on SAS Trans-Atlantic next September..how did you find
the comfort and service otherwise?
I would not appreciate a reindeer sandwich either...Looks like we should buy
something else before boarding!

--Jean

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:20:56 GMT, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

Ray, we are booked on SAS Trans-Atlantic next September..how did you find
the comfort and service otherwise?
I would not appreciate a reindeer sandwich either...Looks like we should buy
something else before boarding!

Hi Jean,

Other than lost luggage everything onboard was fine. We had full
meals along with snacks as we flew from Seattle and made connections
in Europe. The reindeer sandwiches were an extra snack. We had a
group of about 24. Luggage was lost for everyone even though they
flew on different days and flights from the US. Our luggage was
delayed by 22-hours. Yes, I took my own advice and flew in a day
ahead. :+) Some luggage took 9-days to catch up but most had their
luggage within 24-72-hours of departing their flights.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
Looks like you enjoy the Oceania TransAtlantics. We did our first last
March,
Miami to Marseille, and really enjoyed it. A bunch of us are doing a
repeat this
next November on the Regatta, Barcelona to Miami. Consider this an
invitiation
to join us. Are you any good at Trivia ???

Cal,
How dare you ask such a question knowing that Barb (of Barb & Tobie) will be
with us? ;-)
Barb is the Trivia Queen of every cruise line going!

--Jean

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
Hi Jean,

Other than lost luggage everything onboard was fine. We had full
meals along with snacks as we flew from Seattle and made connections
in Europe. The reindeer sandwiches were an extra snack. We had a
group of about 24. Luggage was lost for everyone even though they
flew on different days and flights from the US. Our luggage was
delayed by 22-hours. Yes, I took my own advice and flew in a day
ahead. :+) Some luggage took 9-days to catch up but most had their
luggage within 24-72-hours of departing their flights.

OH NO!!! That does not sound good at all! We have them from Newark to
Copenhagen and then from Copenhagen to Warsaw going and on return we have
them from Prague to Copenhagen and then from there to Newark...I would hate
to be without clothes in Poland and left with the hopes of our luggage
getting to us before we board the river cruise in Budapest. Let's hope we
have much better luck than you did! ;-(

--Jean