Lengthening, of Enchantment of the Seas!

Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:25 AM
Tom & Linda

Default Lengthening, of Enchantment of the Seas!

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
news
Tom & Linda wrote:

Tom, do you think Celebrity can get some of the quality of food back if
it concentrated its budget and priorities on food and not Cirque de
Soleil?

I would like to think so. But that's not where management seems to be
taking the product.

Carnival's food has improved,

Fleet wide? Not from all indications. To make a blanket statement may not
be correct, simply because a few people say it's better on Spirit Class
ships. What about all the Fantasy class ships? Will you find the same food
on Ecstasy as on the Spirit?

so it can be done on ships the
size of Celeb's ships in today's market.

But, to tell you the truth, I'd like to see Celebrity go with a 50,000
ton new Zenith with balconies and charge a percentage more for her. Just
a trial.

Expensive trial. $300 million experiment?

Though in truth... if you want balconies, and want Bermuda, and are willing
to pay more, why not just go with Radisson?

Bring back the old standards of food and lack of obvious
revenue enhancers and see how much she'd draw. Or, they could have
bought one of the ex Ren ships.

That would have been a good idea IMO. Even if not for Bermuda, but for some
of the "new" type things they're trying.

--Tom

Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:30 AM
kuki

I'm one of the voices identifying a
declining standard for premium mass market and a hole that is present in
a product between the premium mass market and the luxury lines. I think
it is possible that as premium mass market cruisers get more cruises
under their belt they may want to move up the next notch, but not quite
up to Radissson or Crystal. And there's where the hole is present

Ben S

Ben..

I actually disagreee with the declining standard theory! There was a "blip"
after 9/11, largely due to the need to deeply discount pricing. The cruise
lines had to react to the lower pricing with cost cutting measures, and
lowered their food, and staffing budgets along with other areas.

The prices have slowly been coming up, and with it, most of the cruise lines
are returning to their A menus (or close)...and bringing back higher quality
food items, and staffing levels are returning as well.

I cruised Celebrity in 94, and I've cruised them more recently (with
Millennium scheduled for Nov.), and in my humble opinion, I prefer todays
Celebrity. I think sometimes "bad memories" make "the glory years" more than
they really were G

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
http://cruisemates.com
Internet Cruise Magazine
Fun and Friendship= http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/CMcruise

Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:41 AM
Eileen

Quality of cuisine, quality of service, ship maintenance,

The first two are clearly subjective determinations,

Not when DiGels or a Nexium are required after eating poor quality seafood.

--Tom

I can't even believe you can say that with a straight face, Tom!
DiGels or Nexium usage happens! It happens to the best of us! It's
sometimes, more a factor of age..certainly, never a ships food. Not "all" of
us.. if you find the need for these antacids (however, newfangled they are)
, I suspect that you, more and more, need these antacids wherever you are..
Those who, truly, suffer severe heartburn/acid reflux KNOW that it can an d
will show up/rear it's ugly head anywhere! Land or Sea! Really, you've gone
too far, way over board, trying to make your point.
If, and, I do mean IF..you're talking poor quality seafood...well.. you'd
need more, quite a bit more, than Nexium!
Eileen

---

Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:52 AM
Tom & Linda

"Eileen" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't mean "BAD/SPOILED" seafood. Just not "quality" seafood. Good fish
doesn't have any fish smell.

There is really good fish... and there is not so "really good" fish.

When you get fish that has a fishy smell... that's not just subjective (as
the earlier post suggested).

--Tom