Egypt

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:21 AM
One Haole

Default Egypt

Next year I can stay for a week in Hurghada on the Red Sea as an exchange
for a time share. I'll to go diving there but I'd also like to see Luxor,
Abydos, Valley of the Kings, etc. that appear to be less than 100 miles to
the southwest. I'd rather not have the restrictions of a tour with a bunch
of other people. I couldn't find out any information about 1st or 2nd class
buses for that route on the internet. I did find car rentals and I don't
mind driving but I don't know anything about the road to Safaga and west
from there. I want to spend a whole day in the Luxor area and another day
in the Abydos area. Should I book a night's lodging somewhere around there
or is the road straight and fast enough to make 2 day trips from Hurghada?
I read somewhere that tours travel in convoys with the military. Is that
mandatory, recommended or not really necessary? I just started planning
this trip and I do intend to get the Knopf or Lonely Planet guide but the
local Borders bookstore didn't have either. They didn't have the Arabic
language textbooks I wanted either. Anyway I'd like to know if anyone has
had personal experience with that area. Thanks in advance.
Pat

Old March 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM
richard b

"One Haole" wrote in message
Next year I can stay for a week in Hurghada on the Red Sea as an exchange
for a time share. I'll to go diving there but I'd also like to see Luxor,
Abydos, Valley of the Kings, etc. that appear to be less than 100 miles to
the southwest.

I drove this road about five years ago my girl friend wanted to see all
the tourist attractions in the middle of my diving holiday. Anyway it
seemed much longer than 100 miles, it is withoput doubt the worst
drive I have ever done. To make it in one day we left early in the
morning (whilst it was dark) and drove back that night. The roads
were in general in very good condition with sections of double lane
roads. The Eygyptians for some reason when a car is approuching
from the opposite direction in the dark, both cars switch OFF their
lights. I lost count of the near misses we had, and to top it off was the
taxi that was driving in the wrong direction on a dual carrigeway with no
lights at night. I am used to bad driving having lived in Africa for 35
years
but that road is a nightmare. Do yourself a favor go by coach or an
organised
tour, they are available daily from Hurghada, what ever you do don't drive.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Richard