MSY Airport Transportation to downtown hotels

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
OccasionalFlyer

Default MSY Airport Transportation to downtown hotels

I will soon be going to New Orleans. It looks like there's no
commuter train or anything from the airport to the area of the major
hotels (I'm going near Canal and Bourbon Street). It looks like the
private "Airport Shuttle" is the best way to get to my hotel. Is that
correct or am I missing a better choice (given that I'm not going to
rent a car). I looked at the bus system and that looks like it won't
get me there very readily. Time is almost as important as the cost.
Thanks.
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JimL

On Nov 16, 12:47*pm, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
* I will soon be going to New Orleans. It looks like there's no
commuter train or anything from the airport to the area of the major
hotels (I'm going near Canal and Bourbon Street). *It looks like the
private "Airport Shuttle" is the best way to get to my hotel. *Is that
correct or am I missing a better choice (given that I'm not going to
rent a car). *I looked at the bus system and that looks like it won't
get me there very readily. *Time is almost as important as the cost.
Thanks.

The shuttle is the cheapest and fastest. Or if two people, the cost
per person is one dollar more, each, than the shuttle.
BTW: "downtown" is different than the French Quarter, where you are
going.
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
OccasionalFlyer

On Nov 16, 10:47*am, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
* I will soon be going to New Orleans. It looks like there's no
commuter train or anything from the airport to the area of the major
hotels (I'm going near Canal and Bourbon Street). *It looks like the
private "Airport Shuttle" is the best way to get to my hotel. *Is that
correct or am I missing a better choice (given that I'm not going to
rent a car). *I looked at the bus system and that looks like it won't
get me there very readily. *Time is almost as important as the cost.
Thanks.

I have a follow-up question. For my return to the airport, any mode
of transportaiton wil do as I will have lots of time. From the
airport to my hotel, hwoever, needs to be quick, so I'm thinking more
about taking a taxi now, even though that's very expensive. When the
MSY web site says of taxis "A cab ride costs $33.00 from the airport
to the Central Business District (CBD)", is this a fixed price for
anywhere in the central business district? I'm going to the Sheraton
on Canal Street (500 lbock). Is that in the CBD? Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JimL

On Nov 17, 1:19*pm, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
[...]

I left out a word. I meant the CAB shared by two people, at fixed
rate, is only a buck or two more than the two would pay for the
shuttle, collectively. Next time I travel alone I plan to quietly ask
other singles in the shuttle ticket line if anyone would like to
share a cab -- same price, but you're not wedged in a van and
possibly the last of ten people to be dropped off.

500 Canal is right at the river, and next to Harrah's and the
Riverwalk mall. Canal is the start (actually one more block,
Iberville, of the start of the historic French Quarter. CBD is
whatever a particular hotel wants to call its own location
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JamesStep

You might want to check with your hotel, as they might have shuttle
service and/or transportation recommendations.

James
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

"JamesStep" wrote in message
You might want to check with your hotel, as they might have shuttle
service and/or transportation recommendations.

James

If the hotel is downtown, there is a shuttle service (shared ride) from the
airport, or you can take a taxi (flat rate from the airport). The city bus
service also serves the airport, but it is too far from town to make it a
viable choice.

Jeff