How is Toulouse France as a tourist destination?

Old November 21st, 2003, 10:35 PM
Dave J.

Default How is Toulouse France as a tourist destination?

I plan to be in Barcelona, and I have five days or so to spend outside
of the area. I am thinking of renting a car and driving through cities
like Perpignon, Narbonne, Carcassonne, and ending in Toulouse for a
couple of nights. I enjoy scenic France, but not industrial France.
Anyone been to Toulouse and care to comment? Thanks!

(By the way, anyone know the driving time to Toulouse from Barcelona?
Looks like about five hours).

Dave J
Old November 21st, 2003, 10:51 PM
Bernard T. Higonnet

Dave J. wrote:

I plan to be in Barcelona, and I have five days or so to spend outside
of the area. I am thinking of renting a car and driving through cities
like Perpignon, Narbonne, Carcassonne, and ending in Toulouse for a
couple of nights. I enjoy scenic France, but not industrial France.
Anyone been to Toulouse and care to comment? Thanks!

Plenty there to keep you busy, any guidebook will do. I myself would go East
to Nimes, but...

(By the way, anyone know the driving time to Toulouse from Barcelona?

www.viamichelin.com will tell you

Bernard Higonnet
Old November 22nd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Joseph Feng

I just spent a day there on the way from Carcassonne to Paris. I
ended up going to Cite de l'Espace(Space City). It is OK as a science
and technology museum, but in my opinion, not as good as the one in
Paris or the National Air and Space Museum in DC. Looking at the
guide books, there was not much else there that attracted my
attention.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:36 PM
R J Carpenter

"Joseph Feng" wrote in message
om...
I just spent a day there on the way from Carcassonne to Paris. I
ended up going to Cite de l'Espace(Space City). It is OK as a science
and technology museum, but in my opinion, not as good as the one in
Paris or the National Air and Space Museum in DC. Looking at the
guide books, there was not much else there that attracted my
attention.

Go to Albi, not very far north of Toulouse. A unique cathedral and the
Toulouse- Latrec collection ----

But I would agree that Nimes, Avignon, etc, etc, etc, and surroundings rates
higher with me.

Bob C.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:04 AM
Dave J.

(Ariege) wrote in message . com...
(Dave J.) wrote in message om...
I plan to be in Barcelona, and I have five days or so to spend outside
of the area. I am thinking of renting a car and driving through cities
like Perpignon, Narbonne, Carcassonne, and ending in Toulouse for a
couple of nights. I enjoy scenic France, but not industrial France.
Anyone been to Toulouse and care to comment? Thanks!

(By the way, anyone know the driving time to Toulouse from Barcelona?
Looks like about five hours).

Dave J

Toulouse is lovely, and a pleasant city to spend 2 days in, but you'll
be so close to the Pyrenees once you leave Carcassonne, why not
explore the mountains instead of going to yet another city? You don't
say what time of year you'll be there, but even in winter you can have
beautiful sunny weather. You can get some ideas about what to see in
that area at
http://www.ariege.com

Hi - I'm the original postter who asked about Toulouse. One thing I
hate about forums like this is that well-intentioned posters recommend
that you change your plans. Someone always has a better way to spend
time, etc, instead of truly providing a service by saying something
about the destination. Yes, I agree that Nimes, Avignon, Pyrenees,
etc, are all very nice, but we've been there already and this time I
am heading to Toulouse (in January). So, I really asked for advice
about what Toulouse is all about, instead of suggestions on how to
change our long-laid plans. I'd REALLY appreciate any comments that
anyone has about the my drive of BARCELONA - PERPIGNAN - NARBONNE -
CARCASSONNE - TOULOUSE. Special sights? Great restaurant? Unique
architecture? Thank you so much!

Dave
Old November 23rd, 2003, 01:33 PM
R J Carpenter

"Dave J." wrote in message
om...

Hi - I'm the original postter who asked about Toulouse. One thing I
hate about forums like this is that well-intentioned posters recommend
that you change your plans. Someone always has a better way to spend
time, etc, instead of truly providing a service by saying something
about the destination. Yes, I agree that Nimes, Avignon, Pyrenees,
etc, are all very nice, but we've been there already and this time I
am heading to Toulouse (in January). So, I really asked for advice
about what Toulouse is all about, instead of suggestions on how to
change our long-laid plans. I'd REALLY appreciate any comments that
anyone has about the my drive of BARCELONA - PERPIGNAN - NARBONNE -
CARCASSONNE - TOULOUSE. Special sights? Great restaurant? Unique
architecture? Thank you so much!

I still recommend a long half day spent in driving to Albi and back.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Terry Richards

"Dave J." wrote in message
om...

Hi - I'm the original postter who asked about Toulouse. One thing I
hate about forums like this is that well-intentioned posters recommend
that you change your plans. Someone always has a better way to spend
time, etc, instead of truly providing a service by saying something
about the destination.

Dave,

I hear what you say and there's a certain amount of truth in it. However, a
*lot* of the postings on this group come from first-time travelers who are
planning to visit every capital in Europe in 10 days and want a "must-see"
list so they can allocate their 22 minutes to the Louvre. Telling these
people (as gently as possible) that they need to reconsider *is* doing them
a service. It wasn't clear from your original post that you didn't fall into
this category.

Also, Toulouse isn't that common a destination. It is quite possible that
nobody here has ever been there. I've traveled and lived in France quite a
lot and I've never been.

The advice anybody gets here (or in any other newsgroup) is worth exactly
what you paid for it plus what the poster was paid for posting it

The gracious way to deal with unwanted advice is to say "thank you" or
"that's nice" and then ignore it

Terry.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:17 PM

toulouse is an attractive place to spend a few days.
great cathedral st sernin
imposing dominican convent (listened to a wonderful piano concert in its
cloister in the evening a month or two ago)
excellent museums
sumptuous food - try the second floor of the covered market, or other
equally excellent restaurants - and eat till 2 am..............

it's a very metropolitan city so if you don't like that kind of stuff, it
might not be for you.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:21 PM
J-Ph

"Dave J." a écrit dans le message news:
I plan to be in Barcelona, and I have five days or so to spend outside
of the area. I am thinking of renting a car and driving through cities
like Perpignon, Narbonne, Carcassonne, and ending in Toulouse for a
couple of nights. I enjoy scenic France, but not industrial France.
Anyone been to Toulouse and care to comment? Thanks!

/.../

I've been there twice (last time : spring 2002). I probably won't say more
than the average guidebook, but let's go:

Toulouse is a large city, (not as large as Barcelone but much larger than
the other towns you mention, and about as large as Bordeaux).

It's a lively and beautiful city, and is certainly worth the trip imo.
As a large city, it is industrial too, the most famous industry being the
Airbus stuff, but it's not the only one. It was the site of a serious
industrial disaster a few years ago when a chemical factory exploded, which
cost many lives and caused material destructions.

The core of the city is very old. It is large and was partially renovated
during the 19th century, so that you wil find both "avenues" and old
streets. It is famous for being built in pink bricks (like Albi, btw) ;
Toulouse is often called "la ville rose" in French.

The traditionnal heart of the city is the "place du Capitole" (the Capitole
being the city hall). It is a lively square with a southern atmosphere. The
Capitole itself is a 18th century building of brick and stone.
http://photoenligne2.free.fr/HauteGa...ole/D11567.jpg

There are interesting churches too. Notably :
-Saint-Cernin, a large romanesque church on the outskirts of the old town
-Les Jacobins, a former monastery, famous for its closter and for the the
palm-like vault of the church:
http://photoenligne2.free.fr/HauteGa.../Jacobins.html
-The gothic cathedral is probably less interesting than the two previously
mentionned, but is worth seeing.

Walking in the old streets (esp in the district south of rue de Metz), you
will find many old houses and mansions. The most impressive is probably the
"hôtel d'Assézat" (16th century). It is now owned by the Bemberg foundation,
which presents there an interesting collection (mostly paintings).
http://www.fondation-bemberg.fr/

Another interesting museum is the "musée des Augustins" located in a 14th
century former monastery, and famous for its middle age works.
http://www.augustins.org/

The Garonne river runs across the city (most of the old town is on the right
bank). Though they cannot match the banks of the Seine in Paris, a walk
along them may be enjoyable.

If you are interested in planes, there are probably things worth visiting
too.

Hope it helps.

JPh