South Africa: Shark Cage Dive Recommendations?

Old February 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
bob[_10_]

Default South Africa: Shark Cage Dive Recommendations?

Hi, everyone.

After researching this group, I'm actually a little hesitant to ask this
question here as it may seem a bit "base" compared to the normally high
brow topics, but here it goes.

My wife, some friends and I travelling to South Africa this August for a
couple of weeks. Our plans are to spend about 6 days at Zulu Nyala on a
photo safari, fly to George to travel the Garden Route to Cape Town and
spend a couple of days in Cape Town. While in Cape Town, one of the things
that I have to do is get in a shark cage. I have been fascinated by sharks
since I was a kid and the idea of being able to get up close in the shark's
habitat is irresistible. So, my question for you:

I am about to book with a specific operator. It looks like there are a ton
of people who offer this kind of outing but what struck me about this
operator was their seeming genuine affection and respect for the sharks.
They don't chum to attract the sharks, they don't feed them and they seem
very interested in promoting the well-being of them. What I would like to
know is what others' experiences have been with this type of activity and
what recommendations you would make in choosing an operator.

I did not want to breach etiquette by posting the operator's name lest it
appear that I was trying to advertise but I will post it if it will be
helpful in relating some opinions.

Also, any other recommendations on the trip as a whole you'd like to offer,
I will happily accept.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

P.S. Hans-Georg's preparation list was very handy. Thanks for posting.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:09:04 -0500, bob
wrote:

Hi, everyone.

After researching this group, I'm actually a little hesitant to ask this
question here as it may seem a bit "base" compared to the normally high
brow topics, but here it goes.

Bob, I'm about as "base" as they come. ;-)
My wife, some friends and I travelling to South Africa this August for a
couple of weeks. Our plans are to spend about 6 days at Zulu Nyala on a
photo safari, fly to George to travel the Garden Route to Cape Town and
spend a couple of days in Cape Town.

Nice trip. You'll have a great time even though August isn't a great
time to be in Cape Town. Natal should be very pleasant at that time
of year, especially for animal safaris.

While in Cape Town, one of the things
that I have to do is get in a shark cage. I have been fascinated by sharks
since I was a kid and the idea of being able to get up close in the shark's
habitat is irresistible.

August is cold, wet, and windy in Cape Town but don't let that stop
you from doing the shark dive.
So, my question for you:

I am about to book with a specific operator. It looks like there are a ton
of people who offer this kind of outing but what struck me about this
operator was their seeming genuine affection and respect for the sharks.
They don't chum to attract the sharks, they don't feed them and they seem
very interested in promoting the well-being of them.

They sound like people that I would trust. There are several cowboy
operations around who do chum etc. and personally, I'd avoid those.

What I would like to
know is what others' experiences have been with this type of activity and
what recommendations you would make in choosing an operator.

I did not want to breach etiquette by posting the operator's name lest it
appear that I was trying to advertise but I will post it if it will be
helpful in relating some opinions.

Also, any other recommendations on the trip as a whole you'd like to offer,
I will happily accept.

While we're on the subject of cage diving, you'll be in the vicinity
of Oudshoorn when you get to George, and there is an outfit there that
does cage diving with CROCODILES!!! I haven't done it yet, but it
sounds fantastic. They advertise he
http://www.sa-venues.com/activities/...age-diving.htm

I have no link with the company, and put the link here for
information's sake only. There's also lots of interesting stuff to do
in Oudshoorn while you're there too.

Regards,
Marc
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
bob[_10_]

Hi, Marc.

Thanks for the quick response.

Actually we do have a stop in Oudtshoorn and are going to the Cango Wildlife
Ranch, amongst a couple other stops, where they have alligator cage diving,
too. I'm already planning on that one, too.

Take care.