Poster PETERPAN

Old March 30th, 2004, 08:26 PM
JohnM

Default Poster PETERPAN

In article , David
writes
this guy is a fool. I believe nothing he says in his posts about Rio
de Janeiro. It's easy to write anything as long as you do not have to
prove what you write.

Killfile him like I have. His previous contributions before he went
on a tirade against Brazil have been promotions of Argentinian travel
agencies and websites. See below:

From: P E T E R P A N )
Subject: Cheap trips from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls etc...
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: rec.travel.latin-america
Date: 2004-03-11 09:08:26 PST

I have to post following deals so I won't forget in future trips:

Cataratas Del Iguazu from Buenos Aires, airfare, 3 nights in 4-star
hotel, with excursions in Argentina and Brazil, 478 Pesos.

Mar del Plata from Buenos Aires, 2 nights in 2-star hotel with
breakfast, 149 pesos.

Rio de Janeiro from Buenos Aires, airfare, 3 nights in 3-star hotel,
US$460.

Cerrito 778 tel 5236-9911

From: P E T E R P A N )
Subject: Plaza St. Martin, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.travel.latin-america
Date: 2004-02-20 05:37:50 PST

Alejandra and Anna at Travel Plus on Ave Florida were very helpful.
They booked my trips and hotel in Montevideo for me with Buquebus, the
company that operates the fast hydrofoil boats to Montevideo.

They recommend tourists to Buenos Aires to book hotel within about 1
mile around Plaza St. Martin. This area has the major hotels such as
Sheraton, Marriott Plaza, the smaller boutique hotels as well as the
major pedestrian shopping streets Ave. Florida and Lavalle which are
full of shops, restaurants, theaters, arcades... Travel plus was able
to book 4-star hotels in this area for 70 pesos vs. the 90 pesos
internet rate.

http://www.programastravelplus.com.ar/en/en_dcat.html

The area around St. Martin plaza is main the shopping/tourist area and
is heavily patrolled by armed cops at just about every corner.
Tourists seem to mingle with Argentinians with security in this area.
Ave. Florida has many street performers everyday of the week. This
street remains crowded with shoppers until very late at night.

I eat mostly seafood with the occasional steak, therefore had a hard
time finding the right restaurants. I went to the food court at the
major shopping mall Galleria Pacificos at corner Florida and Cordoba.
It has entertainment between 8-9PM everyday, with the weekend
dedicated to Tango. One of the grill offer a 16-Ozs New Steak with
salad/fries and a wine/beer for 12 pesos. I asked for rare but the
meat is still tougher than any NY Steak I had in the US.

There are a lot of police on patrol. I found the front glass door and
windows of HSBC bank on this street riddled with dozens of bullet
holes. I found about the same number of bullet holes on Banc Francos
just around the corner. I was told masked bandits robbed these banks
some 2 years ago, but the broken glass were never replaced?

From: P E T E R P A N )
Subject: Iguazú Falls, Argentina and Brazil
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.travel.latin-america
Date: 2004-02-20 05:29:38 PST

In Buenos Aires, I decided to go to Iguazú Falls at the last minute. I
tried to book through my hotel and made many phone calls, but airlines
were mostly booked up.

I walked around the Ave. Florida and Lavalle in Buenos Aires, talking
to tour agents. They quoted about 1,100 pesos for RT air tickets, 2
excursions and 2 nights hotel.

My last check I talked to Travel Plus on Florida @ Lavalle and talked
to Alejandra and Anna. They speak English better than most agents and
were able to book a 2-night tour for 625 pesos (currently
US$210)including taxes on American Falcon Airline. Am. Falcon flies
Boeing 737 with turbojet engine, similar to Aerolinas Argentinas, out
of Aeropuerto Jorgue Newberry in downtown, which is about half the
distance to Ezeiza Int. This agency wholesales packages to hotels so
they have reserved seats on flights that are closed to other retail
tour agents:

http://www.programastravelplus.com.ar/en/en_dcat.html

They recommended Hotel Nadai, a 4-star hotel on the Brazil side which
included breakfast and dinner. I am very skeptical of hotel food, but
the dinner buffet at Nadai turns out to be much better than any
restaurant I went to in Buenos Aires. The roast beef of various cut of
beef was juicy, tender and flavorful, as compared to the grilled beef
in Argentina which is tough, dry and taseless. I was actually looking
to the next dinner at the Nadai. This is the first time it happened to
me!

Alejandra and Anna were eager to practice English with me while I
practice my Spanish with them. They were very helpful, arranging
shipment of gifts and booking local hotels for me, gratis. A few
compliments about the command of English go a long way...

I went to the Brazil Foz Iguazzu National Park the first day, costing
30 reais )currently $US10.00 for entry. It has beautiful views of all
water falls. The 1-mile hiking trail can be done in half a day. Its
gift shops sells very good selections of gifts. The 5-star Hotel Das
Cataratas is inside the park, in the middle of the jungle, next to the
hiking trail.

For the afternoon, I visited the Bird Park in front of the National
Park entrance. Admission is $US 8.00 or 25 reais. the Bird PArk has
thousands of exotic tropical birds, like Toucans, Macaws etc...with a
reptil section, and is an excellent treat, worth every penny. As you
enter various aviaries, the birds would fly over, checking you out,
begging for food. One macaws keeps following me, landing and pecking
on my shoulder. The bird handlers let you handle the toucans and
macaws etc... for video and photo ops. The birds are very frienly and
docile. You can hold and pet them, carrying them like babies without
problems.

In front of the Bird Park there are a bunch of Brazilians selling
colorful hammocks and paintings. I had a good time hanging out with
them, taking photos while waiting for the bus back to town. They
wanted me to inform the world of their locations via the internet. One
taxi driver offers ride to town for 15 then quickly 10, then 8 reais.
I wanted to ride the bus to feel to local lifestyle. The bus runs
between The National Park parking lot to town about every half hour,
costing 1.50 reais.

The Brazilians appear to be very friendly and down-to-earth, despite
the fact that I only speak a few phrases of Spanish and virtually no
Portuguese. Strangely I found quite a few very beautiful Brazilian
girls and women, super model beauties, on the streets of this small
isolated town, who easily allowed to take their photos. Brazilians
seem very friendly, warm and approacheable.

There is only one major shopping street in this town which is Ave.
Brasil. The main Churrascarrias grill is the Buffalo Branco which is
on Ave. JK next to it. At night there is dancing music starting at 9
PM at the Halpin outdoor bar on the main drag.

The hotel staff advises me to walk only well-lighted main streets such
as Ave. Brasil. There are far fewer police patrol at night and gangs
on dark residential streets have been known to pull knives and take
wallets from people.

Next day I went to the Argentinian Park which is probably 5 times
larger with about 10-mile hiking paths, in very green subtropical
jungle. This park is much more extensively developed with a rail road
line taking you to vaerious falls and aluminum cat walks, taking you
over rivers right next to the water falls. There are large groups of
butterflies in various places. The size and the roars of the biggest
water fall, Garguanta Del Diablo, the Devil´s Throat, is magnificent.

The lower hiking circuit takes you on boats to St. Martin and around
and under the falls. On Argentina side, the 5-star Hotel Sheraton is
inside the park, facing the fall. The building looks like a white
keyboard from the distance.

4 day, 3 night tour is recommended to Iguazzu falls to adequately
cover all areas.

--
JohnM

Old March 31st, 2004, 12:37 PM
B H

I see he is promoting airfares to Rio de Janeiro in an earlier posting
(2004-03-11).
Why?

"JohnM" wrote in message
In article , David
writes

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM
JohnM

In article , B H
writes
I see he is promoting airfares to Rio de Janeiro in an earlier posting
(2004-03-11).
Why?

He is promoting Rio flights _among_others_ from

Cerrito 778 tel 5236-9911

if you go to their website

http://rapidoturismo.com/

then you will see that it is a "young Argentinean-American company"
Peter Pan himself is certainly not a native English speaker and his
vitriolic reaction to my post is certainly that of a troll.

*PLONK*

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul

Old April 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
B H

"JohnM" wrote in message
In article , B H
He is promoting Rio flights _among_others_ from
*PLONK*

I just don't see his reasons for all these warnings and anti-Rio propaganda
if
he is trying to promote Rio-flights. But as you said he promotes many
different
things....Rio-flights among other.