Round the world?

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:42 PM
Phil Donachie

Default Round the world?

Hiya, Im considering doing the following trip. London - overland China,
(via Russia), fly Thailand, fly Australia, NZ, and back to London. Not sure
about homewards route, perhaps America? Would definatly like to fit in cook
islands, Fiji, or some other tropical place if possible.

The problem is I want to goto South Africa to do some sararis etc. Im not
sure if I can fit it in on my return route, as round the world tickets with
star alliance and one world, dont let u go back on yourself, (and I would
have to fly pass uk, if comming from nz).

I could do South Africa on outward route, but really want to do journey from
London - Russia/china overland.

Any suggestions please?

I am a low-cost student backpacker, so can only afford really cheap flights
etc.

Thanks Phil :-)

Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Phil Donachie philip.donachie @ntlworld.com wrote:
plan trimmed
Any suggestions please?

Read about Phileas Fogg or Michael Palin.

Old November 1st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Alan

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:42:12 +0100, "Phil Donachie" philip.donachie
@ntlworld.com wrote:

Hiya, Im considering doing the following trip. London - overland China,
(via Russia), fly Thailand, fly Australia, NZ, and back to London. Not sure
about homewards route, perhaps America? Would definatly like to fit in cook
islands, Fiji, or some other tropical place if possible.

The problem is I want to goto South Africa to do some sararis etc. Im not
sure if I can fit it in on my return route, as round the world tickets with
star alliance and one world, dont let u go back on yourself, (and I would
have to fly pass uk, if comming from nz).

I could do South Africa on outward route, but really want to do journey from
London - Russia/china overland.

Any suggestions please?

I am a low-cost student backpacker, so can only afford really cheap flights
etc.

Thanks Phil :-)

I don't quite follow how you would be "going back on yourself"

If you actually start flying from Asia, then couldn't Africa be
en-route to Europe at the start or finish? You'd have to check
schedules. Lan-Chile may connect from South America. On my ticket,
positioning flights to leave and arrive at your home port were free
inclusions.

Going "back" with one-world applies between continents, but not
internally. You'll see below we "went back" from Granada to Madrid,
after arriving in Madrid from the Caribbean, and later we went west
from Paris to Dublin. We also did a shorter "back" flight from St
Thomas to San Jose.

As an example, we just did (yeah, I'm showing off, but it was lots of
fun over five months):

Coolangatta - Sydney - LAX; all Qantas.
Drove LA - San Jose.
Then San Jose - Las Vegas - St Louis - New Orleans; all AA.
Drove New Orleans - Washington DC.
Then DC - NYC - St Thomas (US Virgin Islands) - San Jose (Puerto
Rico); all AA.
Then San Jose - Madrid; Iberian.
Train to Granada.
Then Granada - Madrid - Nice; Iberian.
Drove Riviera - Italy - car ferry to Greece - car ferry to Venice -
Trieste - Austria - Czech - Bavaria - Switzerland - Burgundy -
Palatinate - Luxembourg - Belgium - Nederlands - Heidelberg - Paris
(eurodrive).
Then Paris - Dublin - Edinburgh Aer Lingus (train Limerick return).
Drove Edinburgh - Lowlands, Lakes, Yorks, Wales, Cornwall, Oxford. Bus
to London.
then London - Singapore (Qantas, day of the strike at Heathrow!)-
Melbourne(BA) - Coolangatta (Qantas).

Total air cost for two, incl taxes, AU$5812 last Christmas.
Total car hire AU$1500 (3 weeks US, one week Britain), eurodrive Clio
(62 days) AU$1850.
Side flights to the Grand Canyon about US$300 extra.

Have another chat with your travel agent.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and exercise.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Ken Tough

Phil Donachie wrote:

The problem is I want to goto South Africa to do some sararis etc. Im not
sure if I can fit it in on my return route, as round the world tickets with
star alliance and one world, dont let u go back on yourself, (and I would
have to fly pass uk, if comming from nz).

I could do South Africa on outward route, but really want to do journey from
London - Russia/china overland.

Any suggestions please?

BA has a special 'one world' package that allows flights in 'zones'
without specific restriction on which direction you go. You could
use the asia/southern zone and get something like 12 flights IIRC.

I am a low-cost student backpacker, so can only afford really cheap flights
etc.

Ahhh, now, low-cost. Can't help you there. Bucket shops and
throw away portions of flights?

--
Ken Tough
Old November 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
Ken Tough

Alan wrote:

If you actually start flying from Asia, then couldn't Africa be
en-route to Europe at the start or finish? You'd have to check
schedules. Lan-Chile may connect from South America. On my ticket,
positioning flights to leave and arrive at your home port were free
inclusions.

Yes, you could use a standard around the world to get to LA,
then overland down to Sao Paolo or Buenos Aires, and from there
get a reasonably cheap package flight from BuAi-SA (well, I assume
so, they're cheap from the Joburg end). The ambitious could then
work their way back from S.America up to New York to finish to
London. (Really cheap fares do not include travel between LA
and NY)

--
Ken Tough
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:06 AM
David Herman

Default Student Needs Your Help...

Hello Rec.Travel'ers,

I am a student at the University of Redlands and am doing a school
project that aims to evaluate the level of consumer interest in an
adventure travel tour company.

This is purely an academic study and has no commercial ties whatsoever.

Part of the project requires doing a survey and analyzing the results.

Your individual feedback will be held in strictest confidence and will
not be provided to anyone. Any contact information you provide will be
separated from the questionnaire.

In order to not publish your private response to the newsgroup, please
be careful about hitting reply. Please send your responses to my
earthlink account ).

I would appreciate your feedback on the short list of questions that
appears below. The survey should only take a few minutes to complete
and will help to define the prospects of success for such a company.

In order to complete the project on time, your response is needed by
January 10, 2004.

Thank you for helping to complete this project.

Dave Herman

PS -- Dr. Judy Zatkin is the course advisor/instructor. If you have any
concerns or questions, please contact her at her university email
address: ".

Vacation Travel Questionnaire

1) I prefer to:
a) Stay home. I don1t like to travel.
b) Have a travel agent arrange a personalized trip for me.
c) Travel with an organized group tour.
d) Plan my own trip.

2) I would: (mark all that apply)
a) Not use a travel agent to arrange a personalized trip for me.
b) Not travel with an organized group tour.
c) Not plan my own trip.
d) None of these apply.

3) I usually go on: (mark all that apply)
a) Short trips (7 days or less).
b) Moderate trips (8 to 14 days).
c) Long trips (more than 14 days).
d) None of these apply.

4) My short trips are usually ____ days long. (Use 0, if not applicable.)

5) My moderate trips are usually ____ days long. (Use 0, if not applicable.)

6) My long trips are usually ____ days long. (Use 0, if not applicable.)

7) On a short trip, I usually spend about $_______. (Use 0, if not applicable.)

8) On a moderate trip, I usually spend about $_______. (Use 0, if not applicable.)

9) On a long trip, I usually spend about $_______. (Use 0, if not applicable.)

10) I prefer to:
a) Stay in a hotel.
b) Camp outside.
c) Both hotels and camping.

11) On my trips, I like to: (mark all that apply)
a) Tour the area by vehicle.
b) Walk around visiting local attractions.
c) Hit the water on a boat, kayak or canoe.
d) Be active with things like biking, hiking, rock climbing and bungie jumping.
e) Get into the air with hot air balloons, helicopter or small plane rides
f) Sit back and relax.

12) On my trips, I prefer to have:
a) A well-defined list of scheduled activities.
b) A flexible selection of activities.
c) A list of what is locally available but with no plans.

13) I usually get information about trips from: (mark all that apply)
a) The internet (Which websites? ___________________).
b) Newspaper Travel Section.
c) Travel Agents.
d) Travel Magazines.