Cheap hostel accommodation - be very careful!

Old July 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america
Gerald Oliver Swift

Default Cheap hostel accommodation - be very careful!

To all Budget Travellers

Please remember that when you pre-book accommodation on webswites such as:-

www.HostelBeds.com
www.hostelbookers.com
www.cheaphostel.com
www.hostels247.com
www.Hostels.com
www.hostelbookers.com/
www.hostelworld.com

that these companies have ABSOLUTELY NO DIRECT COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER with
the hostel / hotel you are making a booking with.

In other words.........when you think you have a confirmed booking made
through them.........and then when you arrive at your accommodation you find
that no room is available ..............problems!!!!!!!!!!!

These booking sites will gadly take your 10% deposit and then leave you in
the "lurch" when things go badly wrong - as they quite often do !!

This post is merely to forewarn fellow travellers of a potential pitfall
when booking budget accommodation online.

Happy travelling to all !
Gerry

Old July 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

http://www.HostelBeds.comwww.hostelb...ostelworld.com

that these companies have ABSOLUTELY NO DIRECT COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER with
the hostel / hotel you are making a booking with.

In other words.........when you think you have a confirmed booking made
through them.........and then when you arrive at your accommodation you find
that no room is available ..............problems!!!!!!!!!!!

These booking sites will gadly take your 10% deposit and then leave you in
the "lurch" when things go badly wrong - as they quite often do !!

This post is merely to forewarn fellow travellers of a potential pitfall
when booking budget accommodation online.

Happy travelling to all !
Gerry

I'm not sure if you have ever used any of these Online Hostels and
Budget Accommodation Booking Websites, or if you understand their
Business, for the Business to work, they must have some commincation
with the Hostels and Hotels, otherwise their business would never
work. The point you made that these websites you listed, have no
direct communication with the hostels and Hotels is far from the
truth.

The hostel and hotel owners will never allow some company to setup and
just use their name to decieve customers and just take their money,
without actually intending to help budget traveller to find
accommodation. Most of these businesses are well established
organisations, and between them have millions of customers, I'm one of
them. So if Millions of people that booked accommodation with these
companies, never actually got any accommodation, which they paid for,
I'm sure there would be a Worldwide uproar.

Usually, I would be the one pointing out to Budget Travellers and
friends, to beware of pitfalls and lack of good customer care by some
online booking websites, not just the Hostel booking sites but travel
sites in general. But when I saw this post by you, I couldn't help but
to get involved.

I have booked some accommodation in the past with some of these
websites, in different cities, Amsterdam, New York, Ibiza and Berlin,
just to name a few. When my Booking was confirmed I recieved an email
confirming my booking, the full contact details of the Hostel or Hotel
were on the email. All these places I have been and booked my
accommodation online, I got the room, I never turned up to a hostel or
hotel and was told ther was no booking for me.

I have heard about hostels and hotels over booking themselves, but its
never happened to me.

I'm not sure if you have had a bad experience booking accommodation
with one of these companies, but my last travel to New York I booked
with www.hostels247.com and I stayed in Candy Hostel New York, I had
No problems. I have used Hostels247.com before my New York trip and I
think they are very good, you can call them also if you don't want to
book online and speak to someone.

I also booked with www.hostelbookers.com a couple of years ago, and I
had no problems with the accommodation I booked.

The 10% I paid on each booking, was taken off the total booking
amount, the remaining 90% I paid when I got to the Hostel or Hotel.

I can understand if you said, that some of these companies don't have
the best customer care, or some hostels or hotels are not up to
standard, but to say that hostel booking website don't have any direct
contact with the hostels and hotels is an unfair statement.

I think the best way to make a valid critism, is not to exagerate, in
that way you will be helping other travellers to gain an insight.

Truth Be Told

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:55:02 -0700 (PDT), the renowned
wrote:

On Jul 11, 7:39 pm, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:
To all Budget Travellers

Please remember that when you pre-book accommodation on webswites such as:-

http://www.HostelBeds.comwww.hostelb...ostelworld.com

that these companies have ABSOLUTELY NO DIRECT COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER with
the hostel / hotel you are making a booking with.

In other words.........when you think you have a confirmed booking made
through them.........and then when you arrive at your accommodation you find
that no room is available ..............problems!!!!!!!!!!!

These booking sites will gadly take your 10% deposit and then leave you in
the "lurch" when things go badly wrong - as they quite often do !!

And keep your deposit to boot!

[...]

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany