Kenya

Old July 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Robert

Default Kenya

I'm off on holiday to Kenya at the end of September for 2 weeks.

I have a couple of questions?

What is the best money to take, UKP or USD or the local currency?

I want to do a 3 or 4 day fly safari, can anyone recommend a good company
for doing this kind of thing.

I'd also like to hire a car and do some exploring myself, nothing out of the
way, just up and down the coast. Is this a viable safe idea and is it easy
to hire a car in the Diani beach area?

Many thanks

Robert.

Old July 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Dave Patterson

Robert wrote:

Robert wrote:

I'm off on holiday to Kenya at the end of September for 2 weeks.

I have a couple of questions?

What is the best money to take, UKP or USD or the local currency?

UKP, and change that for Kenyan shillings at a Forex in Nairobi.
There are many.

I want to do a 3 or 4 day fly safari, can anyone recommend a good company
for doing this kind of thing.

Plan to spend that time in the Masai Mara - the wildebeest/zebra migration
will be there then. Your hotel in Nairobi can suggest a reliable operator.
Or I suggest Wildlife Safari - numbers in Nairobi are 573-630, or 573-977.

I'd also like to hire a car and do some exploring myself, nothing out of the
way, just up and down the coast. Is this a viable safe idea and is it easy
to hire a car in the Diani beach area?

Car hire is easy - but a lot more expensive than you might expect.

Old July 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Rita Daggett

Car hire is easy - but a lot more expensive than you might expect.

and the roads can be pretty awful (along with the traffic in Mombasa).

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Peter Gower

And the traffic on all the roads. Practice on your local fairground dodgem
course!

Old July 6th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:27:43 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

I'm off on holiday to Kenya at the end of September for 2 weeks.

What is the best money to take, UKP or USD or the local currency?

I want to do a 3 or 4 day fly safari, can anyone recommend a good company
for doing this kind of thing.

I'd also like to hire a car and do some exploring myself, nothing out of the
way, just up and down the coast. Is this a viable safe idea and is it easy
to hire a car in the Diani beach area?

Robert,

you already got very good answers. Some background information
on self-drive safaris in Kenya can be found at
www.michna.com/kenya.htm .

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Robert

I now have my hotel finalised and I am staying in the diani beach area.

Can someone recommend a company that offers a 3 or 4 day fly safari.

Robert

--
This is an email from Printworks Ltd.

Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient at the email address
to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone
other than this addressee, nor may it be copied or distributed in any way.

If received in error, please contact Printworks Ltd on 0141 204 3888 (UK)
or +44 141 204 3888 (international) quoting the name of the sender and the
addressee, then delete it from your system.

Please note that neither Printworks Ltd. nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments
(if any).

Old September 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Rydale

If you are in Diani area, have a look into the Colobus Trust on the main
Diani coast road near to Papillon Reef hotel.
very interesting and they need the support! (watch out for the 'colobridges'
on the way!).
Charles

Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
codero codero is offline
Member

Location: Nairobi
Send a message via Yahoo to codero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm off on holiday to Kenya at the end of September for 2 weeks.

I have a couple of questions?

What is the best money to take, UKP or USD or the local currency?

I want to do a 3 or 4 day fly safari, can anyone recommend a good company
for doing this kind of thing.

I'd also like to hire a car and do some exploring myself, nothing out of the
way, just up and down the coast. Is this a viable safe idea and is it easy
to hire a car in the Diani beach area?

Many thanks

Robert.
Dear Robert,
The best currency to have while in Kenya would be US dollars which where necessary you can change into local currency
Secondly, Africapoint.com online travel agents are in a good position to arrange for a 3 or 4 day flying safari
Thirdly, The same company can help in the car hire, whereby upon arrival in Mombasa, a vehicle can be arranged for you so that you can drive down both North and south coast.