Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

Old November 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:08:59 -0600, Doug McDonald
wrote:

As I have pointed out, my own ancestors have lived here continuously
since 1610 ... well before the Pilgrims arrived.

Parvenus. St Augustine was settled in 1565.

Old November 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:17:18 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"

the [census] mentioned as the reason for Jesus' parents
return to Bethlehem so that they could be counted.

.

And just where is it reliably mentioned?

If you're asking where the census is mentioned in the Bible, it's in
Luke, Chapter 2:

"...a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be
enrolled. This was the first enrollment, when Quirin'i-us was governor
of Syria. And all went to be enrolled, each to his own city. And Joseph
also went ... to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem
... to be enrolled with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child..."

I was thinking of something reliable and preferably contemporary. Given
the amount of information from Imperial Roman times it is weird that
something as widespread isn't mentioned somewhere.

If you think about it, it's not weird at all.

Old November 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 29 Nov 2005 09:45:09 -0800, "
wrote:

That the census happened at all is hard to establish
outside of biblical references. When it happened, how long it was,
or what time of any year it might have happened isn't clear.

It appears to have been a plot device to arrange for Jesus to
have been born at Bethlemem, as prophesied.

Old November 30th, 2005, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On 29 Nov 2005 09:45:09 -0800, "
wrote:

That the census happened at all is hard to establish
outside of biblical references. When it happened, how long it was,
or what time of any year it might have happened isn't clear.

It appears to have been a plot device to arrange for Jesus to
have been born at Bethlemem, as prophesied.

Just to get back to the original post. I'm Canadian and have travelled to
many countries. I met many Americans, in fact more than any other
nationality.
Geoff.

Old November 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

I was thinking of something reliable and preferably contemporary. Given
the amount of information from Imperial Roman times it is weird that
something as widespread isn't mentioned somewhere.

We have massive amounts of information from imperial Roman times, but
it's only a tiny fraction of the written material that existed. Try
almost any topic and look for the extant information. Or take any
famous author in antiquity and see what fraction of his works are
extant. Livy, for example, one of ancient Rome's best-known
historians: less than half of his known works survive.

Actually, there is some information about a census around 7 BC, I
believe, which some think is the same census mentioned by St. Luke.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:12:04 -0500, "GeoffP"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Nov 2005 09:45:09 -0800, "
wrote:

That the census happened at all is hard to establish
outside of biblical references. When it happened, how long it was,
or what time of any year it might have happened isn't clear.

It appears to have been a plot device to arrange for Jesus to
have been born at Bethlemem, as prophesied.

Just to get back to the original post. I'm Canadian and have
travelled to
many countries. I met many Americans, in fact more than any other
nationality.

Having been a Canadian landed immigrant at one time as well as a
grad student at McGill University I have met an astonishing
number of Canadians in my time.

Old December 1st, 2005, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:12:04 -0500, "GeoffP"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
. ..
On 29 Nov 2005 09:45:09 -0800, "
wrote:

That the census happened at all is hard to establish
outside of biblical references. When it happened, how long it was,
or what time of any year it might have happened isn't clear.

It appears to have been a plot device to arrange for Jesus to
have been born at Bethlemem, as prophesied.

Just to get back to the original post. I'm Canadian and have
travelled to
many countries. I met many Americans, in fact more than any other
nationality.

Having been a Canadian landed immigrant at one time as well as a
grad student at McGill University I have met an astonishing
number of Canadians in my time.

==
Mmmm and your point is? G
Geoff.