September travel to spain

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default September travel to spain

English below

Mi hermano y yo planamos una visita a España en el mes de Septiembre
de 2006. Hemos visitado unas veces a México, Guatemala, y también a
Costa Rica, y ambos hablamos el español por lo menos un poco.

Somos americanos, ambos en los nuestros años 60, muchos contra-Bush,
contra-guerra, contra-imperialistas. Nos desesperamos en la dirección
de nuestro país querido en estas épocas difíciles.

En nuestros recorridos en el pasado, hemos tenido el mejor tiempo no
mientras que visitamos puntos turísticos superiores, pero al visitar
con y compartir el espacio con la gente del país que estamos
visitando. Quisiéramos familiarizarnos con alguna de la gente en
España, especialmente las que son progresistas. Así pues, además de
las preguntas generales: ¿dónde debemos ir? a través qué ciudades y
aldeas y regiones viajamos?, también tenemos algunos más. ¿Cómo
podemos encontrar a la gente simpatica a nuestras propias sensaciones y
familiarizarnos con las mientras que estamos allí?

Muchas gracias por considerar mis preguntas, y pido perdón por mis
errores en el idioma de Cervantes.

ENGLISH

My brother and I plan to visit Spain in September, 2006. We have spent
considerable time in Mexico, Guatemala, and less time in Costa Rica,
and can both speak Spanish fairly well (but I don't know how to type
the accents and enye in Windows!).

We are American, both in our 60's, very much anti-Bush, anti-war,
anti-imperialists. We despair at the direction of our beloved country
in these difficult times.

In our travels in the past, we have had the best time not while
visiting Top Tourist Spots, but when visiting with and sharing space
with the people of the country we are visiting. We would like to get to
know some of the people in Spain, especially those who are fellow
progressives.

So, in addition to the usual questions: where should we go? what cities
and villages and regions should we travel through?, we also have a few
more. How can we find people simpathetic to our own feelings and get to
know them while we are there?

Thanks for considering my questions!

Alberto

Old March 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Come for a visit, this forum is about European travel, leave your
politics in the USA. We live in France; we are very much pro-Bush,
pro-war, pro-Capitalism. We are very much at home here with our
political attitudes.
Cochon Capitaliste

Old March 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Cochon Capitaliste

we are very much pro-Bush,
pro-war, pro-Capitalism. We are very much at home here with our
political attitudes.

yeah sure.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Yeah, sure

Old March 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Cochon Capitaliste wrote:

Come for a visit, this forum is about European travel, leave your
politics in the USA. We live in France; we are very much pro-Bush,
pro-war, pro-Capitalism. We are very much at home here with our
political attitudes.
Cochon Capitaliste

Piggy, there you go oinking again...

--
Best
Greg

Old March 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Oinkus est!!!!

Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

My advice to all travelers is to take your passions with you when you
travel. If those include politics fine. Do the same things in Spain that
you would do to meet like minded people at home. I had a great time in
Prague when I went to a fund raiser put on by the Kiwanis for a children’s
hospital.
Spain is a very progressive country. You will feel right at home. Decades
of Fascist gov. under Franco made them appreciate freedom more than most
Americans. Spanish pilots refused to attack civilian targets that were
selected by American military planners in Kolsovo. A Spanish Judge indicted
Pinochet. After the last elections the new Prime Minister withdrew Spain
form the coalition of the willing.
There is an English weekly free paper available in Madrid. It will provide
listings of dozens of clubs in Madrid (organizations such as political clubs
and bridge clubs etc.) There is an English speaking Philosophy club that
meets in an Irish bar just a few steps from the Plaza Major in Madrid.
Spaniards join this club to practice English. It is a great scene on many
levels.
In Granada there is the “Jazz Club”. It is a very cool little dive. Mostly
students. The live music there is not very good. But it is a terrific hang
out off the beaten path. You can also get the best beer in the world, Czech
beer, at the “Jazz Club”.
Have fun and don’t leave anything at home you care about.

A tip about driving in Spain. After several harrowing experiences driving
in mediaeval sections of Toledo and Cordoba and Granada I got this tip from
another American couple. When they get to a town like that, they park
their car in the outskirts and grab a cab to take them to their Hotel.

"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Stagshrine

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Stagshrine

There is an English speaking Philosophy club that
meets in an Irish bar just a few steps from the Plaza Major in Madrid.
Spaniards join this club to practice English. It is a great scene on many
levels.

As there is a similar thing in Pontevedra I suspect they may be
commonplace?

A tip about driving in Spain. After several harrowing experiences driving
in mediaeval sections of Toledo and Cordoba and Granada I got this tip from
another American couple. When they get to a town like that, they park
their car in the outskirts and grab a cab to take them to their Hotel.

defeatist! :-) Another US tip is to hire a taxi that you then
follow to the hotel, My tip, get a map! Although arriving armed
with street maps can be difficult.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:

A tip about driving in Spain. After several harrowing experiences driving
in mediaeval sections of Toledo and Cordoba and Granada I got this tip from
another American couple. When they get to a town like that, they park
their car in the outskirts and grab a cab to take them to their Hotel.

defeatist! :-) Another US tip is to hire a taxi that you then
follow to the hotel, My tip, get a map! Although arriving armed
with street maps can be difficult.

If you are renting a car nowadays, it pays off to spend 6-8 extra Euro
a day for a GPS unit. It does not have the charm of a paper map, but
you will get there reasonably soon.

Parking is a completely different thing, of course

J.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"The Reid" wrote in message

defeatist! :-) Another US tip is to hire a taxi that you then
follow to the hotel, My tip, get a map! Although arriving armed
with street maps can be difficult.
--

-- DEFEATIST!!!!
I was defeated, hogtied, dragged by horses to the POW camp where I was
forced fed on crow and humiliation till I begged to be transferred to
Guantanamo.

I assure you the following is no exaggeration.
I arrived in Cordoba with an excellent map and a fine (but soon to be
tattered) reputation as a navigator. I quickly found Calle Dr.Flemming .
This crossed the Calle Marnique on which Hotel Gonzales is located. It is
one 1/2 block below the hotel. But the street is one way towards Dr.
Flemming Calle. I drove for more than one hour trying to get to Hotel
Gonzalez. I was never more than 1/4 mile away from it. Ironicaly, I had
twice come to the entrance to Calle Marnique. But in my innocence I could
not belive that it was possible to enter such a narrow street. I was
possitive it must be a pedestrian walk way. I finally surrendered and paid
a taxi to guide me to it.

In Toledo I quickly found a sign that actually pointed to my Hotel. But the
arrow on the sign made a funny sort of hook. I mis-interpreted this to
mean, drive clock wise 180 degrees around the building on which the sign was
mounted. It actually meant turn 110 degrees right there at the sign. It
took me another 20 minutes to arrive at my Hotel which was less than 100
meters from that sign. This included entering a street that was so narrow
that with miorrors folded in the car was within 2 inched of the walls on
both sides. This street went up a very steep hill where it suddenly
narrowed to a width too small for anything but a motorcycle. I had to back
down 200 meters down that street with a clutch. Fortunately I learned to
drive a clutch in San Francisco.

The streets are often so narrow that you must fold in your mirrors to drive
down them. As a pedestrians one must often enter a doorway to allow a car
to pass. Street signs are often missing, located on the second floor and
sometimes illegible. A street may proceed for a few meters, make a very
slight change in direction and it will change names or if it passes through
a slightly wide space, a plaza, it may change names.
I want to be clear, I am not complaining. This is exactly what I go to such
towns to enjoy. But I am not a fool. I know when I am defeated. I know
when I am out of my depth. I absolutely and positively am not up to driving
on such streets. I would rather have my eyes sanded.

"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Marc aka Stagshrine