Jerusalem and Haifa when you're in a wheelchair

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AGW

Default Jerusalem and Haifa when you're in a wheelchair

Hi, all.

We'll be on the April 20 Oceania Nautica, and will be visiting the
Walled City in Jerusalem. I'm a paraplegic (wheelchair, not frail) and,
while we realize that many of the attractions there aren't
wheelchair-amenable, I'm wondering how/if I could handle the streets and
reach the attractions Jerusalem and Haifa have to offer.

TIA.
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/14/2011 10:26 AM, AGW wrote:
Hi, all.

We'll be on the April 20 Oceania Nautica, and will be visiting the
Walled City in Jerusalem. I'm a paraplegic (wheelchair, not frail) and,
while we realize that many of the attractions there aren't
wheelchair-amenable, I'm wondering how/if I could handle the streets and
reach the attractions Jerusalem and Haifa have to offer.

TIA.

Haifa is all uphill. Take a ride in a taxi and you will be able to see
all the sites. Have the cab take you to the top of the B'hai (sp)
gardens. You should be able to see the beautiful views from there with
no problems if the weather is good.

You will have access to the Western Wall plaza in a wheel chair. I think
you might have to make some advance arrangements regarding parking and
pick up, but the wheel chair will make it into the plaza and even right
to the Wall if it's your desire. It might be a little difficult
navigating in the Old City.

The other attractions in Jerusalem, like the museums are all
handicap-accessible. It is a very, very modern country which surprised
most people, including me, who just visited there in May 2010.

I would contact Oceania Cruises and ask if they offer
handicap-accessible tours from the ship and if they don't, see if they
can recommend a local company in each city. You might also want to try
Googling for a tour company.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas