New Princess ship will be called Royal Princess

Old March 16th, 2011, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default New Princess ship will be called Royal Princess

Princess Cruises Previews Newest Ship as First Steel Plate is Cut in
Shipyard
Royal Princess Announced as Ship's Name

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (March 15, 2011) -- As the first steel plate was
cut today marking the official start of construction of Princess
Cruises' next ship, the line unveiled the vessel's profile, released
preliminary details about some of its features, and revealed its name
-- Royal Princess.
This will be the third time the name Royal Princess has been given to a
Princess ship.
Debuting in spring of 2013, the new 141,000-ton, 3,600-passenger Royal
Princess is the first of two new-generation ships for Princess which
are being built by Fincantieri at their Monfalcone, Italy shipyard. The
prototype design is an evolution of the line's classic style of ships,
while including some new features and expanded signature spaces.
A new design element revealed today is an over-water SeaWalkSM, a
top-deck glass-bottomed enclosed walkway on the ship's starboard side
extending more than 28 feet beyond the edge of the vessel. From here
passengers can enjoy dramatic views, including to the sea 128 feet
below. On the ship's port side, passengers will find a similarly-unique
cantilevered SeaView bar, featuring cocktails with unbeatable vistas.
Also on her top decks, Royal Princess will feature a new adults-only
pool surrounded by seven plush private cabanas that appear to be
floating on the water. Two additional pools will flank a tropical
island that will offer pool seating by day, and by night will become an
outdoor dance club, complete with a dazzling water and light show.
Princess' signature adults-only haven, The Sanctuary, will be expanded
both in size and amenities. The popular poolside theater, Movies Under
the Stars, will play a starring role mid-ship with an expanded size and
high-definition viewing.
"Princess passengers will easily recognize our next ship as a natural
progression in our fleet," said Princess President and CEO Alan
Buckelew. "We're taking the best features of our newest vessels that
have been such customer pleasers, and taking them to the next level.
Just as the original Royal Princess ushered in a new era for our
company with its innovative design, we expect our new Royal Princess to
do the same."
Inside the ship, one of the line's hallmark venues, the Piazza atrium,
will be significantly expanded. This area will be the multi-faceted
social hub of the vessel, combining always-changing quick bites and
light meals, beverages, entertainment, shopping and guest services.
All outside staterooms on Royal Princess will have balconies, which
means that 80 percent of the ship's staterooms will include this
desirable feature.
Royal Princess will include 260,000 square feet of inside public space
with multiple dining and entertainment venues, as well as other special
features and amenities which will be revealed over the coming months.
A video preview of Royal Princess is available at
http://www.princess.com/royalprincess. Artist renderings of the ship
are available on Princess' Flickr page.
A sister ship to Royal Princess will be launched in spring 2014.
Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a
professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or by visiting
the company's website at www.princess.com.
# # #
Note to Editors:
The first Royal Princess which debuted in 1984 was widely-acknowledged
as defining a new era in innovative cruise ship design. While she left
the fleet in 2005, the name was passed to one of Princess' small ships
in 2007, and this vessel is being transferred to a sister company at
the end of April.

--
Charles
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Mar 15, 6:22*pm, Charles wrote:
[...]

Do you know where the current Royal Princess is headed? (I'd love to
see her on HAL, but I'd assume P&O)
Also, any word on the fate of the other ex-Ren ships - they really
don't fit the mega-ship Princess brand and "small ship cruising"
really seems to be a way to turn the obvious oddities of their fleet
into a marketing label ("I meant to do that!")

Mark
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
, SF
wrote:

Do you know where the current Royal Princess is headed? (I'd love to
see her on HAL, but I'd assume P&O)
Also, any word on the fate of the other ex-Ren ships - they really
don't fit the mega-ship Princess brand and "small ship cruising"
really seems to be a way to turn the obvious oddities of their fleet
into a marketing label ("I meant to do that!")

Your assumption is correct. The current Royal Princess is going to P&O
and will be renamed Adonia.

Nothing yet about any transfers out of the Princess fleet of Ocean
Princess or Pacific Princess.

--
Charles