Age Demographics

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
linnie

Default Age Demographics

You may be right about the age thing. I just saw this as a
jazz/blues/20's cruise. Just like there are people my age (too young to
be a baby boomer on any magazine scale) who love swing dancing, square
dancing and all types of classic and vintage music, there are people who
would go for a 60's cruise because they remember the 60's and some would
go because they think the 60's were cool. So I would really be surprised
if they were only going after people who were alive during the 1920's.
More like going after people who want to celebrate that error. Could be
folks who loved the music, art, fashion, whatever from that time period.

Heck, I have seen Dixieland Jazz cruises themes, Geek cruise themes,
Swing cruise themes, Disco themes, etc.

Just sounds like fun to me.

-Linnie

On 3/18/2011 1:24 PM, Gadget World wrote:
Lunis

This is exactly what I meant.

For the cruise line to suggest that we reminisce to the roaring 20's
means that they think that their passengers were old enough in the 20's
that they would be ready to Charleston all over the ship.

But do the math. If I was a teenager doing the Charleston in the 20's,
I'd be 100+ now.

I remember when the big band crowd, who were teens in the 40's were the
largest age group on ships and they would get out of wheel chairs, and
throw their canes and walkers down as soon as they heard "in the mood"
and get up and dance. When the music ended they went back in the wheel
chair and picked up the cane and walkers. Unfortunately, we do not see
too much dancing any more.

These were the Greatest Generation who spent their teen age years
dancing and romancing.

Gadget

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Lunis[_2_]

On 3/18/2011 6:23 PM, linnie wrote:
[...]

I doubt anyone is TOTALLY against music from the 2040s. The annoyance
I (and many I have talked to) have is a nearly exclusive focus on the
popular music of the era - and I would throw in the big musicals from
that same era. (Before I start, our most recent cruise had a music
review starting with the 60s.)
I have been to too many shows devoted only to musicals or only to 'hits'
of the 30s-40s. But, as I said earlier, when most of an audience
responds enthusiastically to a type of music (60s-70s), and with boredom
to another type (30s,40s) I would expect any business to begin
emphasizing the more popular music. Throw in the rat pack music in many
areas of the ship and, IMO, it appears the cruise lines (we have sailed
on 4) are not paying attention to demographics. No, don't completely
eliminate a type of music but please adjust emphasis to the audience.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , J Lunis
wrote:

I have been to too many shows devoted only to musicals or only to 'hits'
of the 30s-40s. But, as I said earlier, when most of an audience
responds enthusiastically to a type of music (60s-70s), and with boredom
to another type (30s,40s) I would expect any business to begin
emphasizing the more popular music. Throw in the rat pack music in many
areas of the ship and, IMO, it appears the cruise lines (we have sailed
on 4) are not paying attention to demographics. No, don't completely
eliminate a type of music but please adjust emphasis to the audience.

Whatever music or show numbers they use they have to pay to use. That
might have something to do with their choices.

--
Charles
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 3/21/2011 5:51 AM, Charles wrote:
Whatever music or show numbers they use they have to pay to use. That
might have something to do with their choices.

Entertainment is expensive. GOOD entertainment is even MORE expensive! ;-)
--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Lunis[_2_]

On 3/21/2011 5:18 PM, RayC wrote:
On 3/21/2011 5:51 AM, Charles wrote:
Whatever music or show numbers they use they have to pay to use. That
might have something to do with their choices.

Entertainment is expensive. GOOD entertainment is even MORE expensive! ;-)

And good entertainment designed for the wrong audience is even MORE
expensive.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

Well, the cruise was great and the only 20's entertainment was one song
and dance show that even the older passengers didn't relate to.

The crowd was much older than 7 day cruises, but it was nice traveling
with people who had manners, patience and were friendly.

The few teenagers aboard really stuck out with their need for attention.

The cruise line would have been smarter to not pay so much attention to
the 20's thing.

Gadget