I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

In article ,
wrote:

I don't have any sympathy either because I think it is akin to asking
for medication free and it is also letting one relatively low cost
problem ruin a trip or cause someone to rule out a trip that they
might otherwise like but I am wondering if it isn't a combination of
factors such as

a) She has high level (like diamond) on RCI so they cater to her as
they wouldn't if she were on Carnival with only one or two cruises
b) Carnival doesn't want to cater to elderly or infirm clients so they
deliberately do not supply more than the minimum to them.
c) Carnival wants to make a profit on all their drinks

I think she is being stubborn about it because one line or some line
did not charge. That spoiled her. I think she is missing that Carnival
or any other cruise line has a no moral obligation to even have
distilled water available for passengers at either a charge or for no
charge. They all would be justified in saying "bring your own".

I am pretty sure RCI does not care what level anyone is at. That has
nothing to do with. I don't think Carnival or Royal Caribbean are any
different in how they cater to elderly or infirm passengers. Neither
markets to that segment. Those two lines market towards a more active
and youthful segment. Water slides, rock climbing, flow rider......

--
Charles
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:09:38 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

If you had 6th grade reading comprehension skills, you'd have read that
other lines provide it for free. Further, they are not trying to use a
medical situation as a profit source. Carnival is by charging $5 for an
item that costs them 50 cents. It's not like this is an option to those
people who need it to be able to breathe.

Someone else commented about this but apparently you missed it. It is
cheap at your local chain drugstore but you aren't buying it there.
You are buying it at sea.

It's nice that other hotels and cruise lines have provided it but
there isn't a requirement to do so. You can make your decisions based
on whatever ideas you wish, of course, but it does seem petty.

Considering how hotels are looking for fees, don't assume it will
always be true.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:15:34 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

I shudder to think of what would happen if someone had a medical
emergency on a Carnival ship. Would they be trying to reap a profit from
that, too?

We were on a cruise and a friend got seasickness. He needed IV fluids.
The bill was quite expensive but from what I've read, infirmary
charges are high on all ships.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:20:06 -0500, (Kenn
Smith) wrote:

I think that a lot of statements being made in this thread are made as
absolutes when there is insufficient evidence to back up the absolute.
"cpaps are a medical necessity", "cpaps are not a medical necessity but
an assistance device" . . .

The absolute statements ignore that every case is different - in some
cases they are a necessity and in others an assist. I know that Janet's
DH suffers from congestive heart failure, as do I, and has major
breathing problems. It most likely is a necessity for him. I have
another friend (and Janet's DH is also a friend - I've met him and
really like him) who uses one more as an assist. Totally different
cases. I wear a pacemaker but I can't say if it is a necessity or an
assist. The only way to truly determine that is to unplug the thing and
see if my heart stops. That's an experiment I'm not ready to
participate in :-)

I also have a pacemaker which is set to 50 beats/min. Often my pulse
is above that. Sometimes it's 50. I figure that's when I need it.

So far as using distilled or tap water, why not follow the
manufacturer's recommendation? I could use tap water in my golf cart
batteries which cost about $160 each but I would certainly shorten their
life span. I could use cheaper batteries in my pacemaker but I would
just have to buy more of them more often and would risk possible injury
to the device.

I really don't know where Janet got $.50 for a gallon of distilled
water, I pay about $.99 and buy them five at a time. But even at my
price their $5 a gallon represents a 500% markup which strikes me as
pretty high - that's Prada territory.

It's a big markup but it isn't like she is able to go to a large store
on land. A 7-11 store charges more than Wal Mart but there is a markup
for convenience. There is also a scale of size that allows a large
store to sell it at that price and they probably sell a fair amount of
it because it is used in circumstances where it wouldn't be used at
sea.
It's also more expensive to put something on a ship and sell it in
small quantities to only a few people.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 14:31:23 -0400, Neal Eckhardt
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:21:43 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

3)Carnival is making an obscene profit from the health issues of their
guests.

4)I object to the price-gouging for a medical need.

I find it interesting that you complain about the "obscene" markup on
water when the real breath taking markups are in the drugs you buy at
the pharmacist. Excerpt from an article is below:

Did you ever wonder how much it costs a drug company for the active
ingredient in prescription medications? Some people think it must cost
a lot, since many drugs sell for more than $2.00 per tablet. We did a
search of offshore chemical synthesizers that supply the active
ingredients found in drugs approved by the FDA. As we have revealed in
past issues of Life Extension, a significant percentage of drugs sold
in the United State contain active ingredients made in other
countries. In our independent investigation of how much profit drug
companies really make, we obtained the actual price of active
ingredients used in some of the most popular drugs sold in America.

How much does it cost to bring a new drug to market including testing?
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:10:48 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Don't see why all the hooha. She was merely stating that since the
others do, then why doesn't Carnival. I see nothing that indicates that
if the others did not, she would still be getting upset with Carnival.
Carnival, in this particular case is the outlier.

I think if everyone charged $5, she would still be unhappy.

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote:

Don't see why all the hooha. She was merely stating that since the
others do, then why doesn't Carnival. I see nothing that indicates that
if the others did not, she would still be getting upset with Carnival.
Carnival, in this particular case is the outlier.

I think if everyone charged $5, she would still be unhappy.

It was never the money. It was *always* the principle. If other lines
give it to their guests with medical needs for free, why should Carnival
be making a profit on it.

BTW, when RCI or Celebrity or a hotel or the river cruise companies
provide the distilled water for free, we have filled out a special needs
form for them. I or my TA have sent them a special request in advance
letting them know that the distilled water if for a medical need.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Hi everyone,
As I read all these posts it amuses me to think that just "one" thing turns
a person against a cruise line and makes them decide to "never" sail on them
again. So much money was spent on the cruise cost, tours and drinks that was
put on their sail and sign statement, but just because the cruise line
failed to supply something while another does, there are loud protests and a
big fuss is made about it. I can take constructive criticism and listening
about what has happened to other cruisers, good or bad, but "I will NEVER
sail on that cruise line again!" sounds a little petty when it is for just
one reason that can be remedied by planning ahead.

I have sailed on Ren(when it existed), Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Azamara,
Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Oceania, NCL and MSC and there was probably a
thing or things that I disliked on some of them, but I would sail again on
everyone of them. Of course I can say that because nothing life threatening
happened to me or mine. There was a fire in the kitchen on one ship at
dinner time which was handled quickly and efficiently by the crew...There
were too many things that I liked on each line and I LOVE to cruise... it
makes no matter to me that they are not all alike... I like the variety
which to me makes cruising exciting. No cookie cutter cruises for me! I
realize that there are passengers who have serious medical problems that
need special attention, but you acclimate and adjust by preparing ahead of
time to deal with that problem while onboard and know what that particular
cruise line provides or does not provide before you cruise. I know it is
probably very difficult in some instances and I sympathize; but you cannot
expect each cruise line to conform or comply with what other cruise lines
offer. If you prefer a cruise line because it can provide your needs, then
sail on it without bashing another line that doesn't.

JMHO,
--Jean

Old April 5th, 2011, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BikeRider50

Some people are just ****in nuts.