Driving route from yosemite to bryce canyon and zion national park

Old September 14th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Amiram

Default Driving route from yosemite to bryce canyon and zion national park

Hi
Trying to prepare a driving direction route from Yosemite national
park to Bryce canyon I received the quickest way via Las Vegas. Since
I prefer to be in Las Vegas as the last stop, what is the alternative
? (I prefer to drive the distance in one day due lake of time)

Thank for the advice
Amiram
Old September 17th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Todd Kunioka

(Amiram) wrote in message . com...
Go Fig wrote in message .. .
In article ,
(Amiram) wrote:

Hi
Trying to prepare a driving direction route from Yosemite national
park to Bryce canyon I received the quickest way via Las Vegas.

You don't say what route was suggested to you, but if they say it's
the fastest route, then do it, even if it means backtracking. The
alternative routes that avoid Las Vegas would put you on some of the
more desolate roads in America.

Since
I prefer to be in Las Vegas as the last stop, what is the alternative
? (I prefer to drive the distance in one day due lake of time)

Thank for the advice
Amiram

What time of year ?

Withstanding that; Calif 120 - US 6 - US Interstate 15 - US 89

The 120 -- 6 part makes sense to me.

The rest could make sense if you were interested in diverting up to
Great Basin National Park, which is just south of US 6/50, near the
Utah state line. There's a short scenic route that heads into the
park, and a number of good and short hikes, including a cave tour that
might be worth your while.

After Great Basin, it seems you'd want to take NV 487 until it turns
into UT 21, then I-15 south, then UT 20 east, then US 89, then UT 12
into Bryce Canyon.

If you're not interested in going to Great Basin, then that route
doesn't make any sense.

Instead, from US 6, divert to NV 375 at Warm Springs, NV, take that
south until you hit US 93, then take US 93 "north." After Cathedral
Gorge State Park, take NV 319 east, which will then change to UT 56.
Take UT 56 to I-15, go through Cedar City, and follow the signs to
Bryce Canyon.

I'm not bothering to check the mileage, but I suspect the routes
though Las Vegas are still shorter than the one I outline above. And,
as I stated earlier, both routes put you on some very desolate roads.

If you're concerned about time, stick with the route that goes through
Las Vegas. After passing through Las Vegas, continue on I-15 to UT-9,
which will take you through Zion. When you're done with Zion Canyon,
contine on UT-9 to Mt. Carmel Junction, then head north on US 89 and
follow the signs to Bryce.

When you're done with Bryce, you should probably go ahead and visit
Cedar Breaks national monument. After Cedar Breaks, return to I-15,
and head south. About 20 miles south of Cedar City is a turnoff for a
short scenic drive that overlooks the Kolob Canyons section of Zion.
It's worth a detour, particularly if you've already paid your entry
fee for Zion. The road ends near an overlook, which you can reach
with a short and flat hike from that parking area.

After you get back on I-15, it's a short 2 hours or so to Las Vegas.

Is is valde for second week of October ?

That should be before the first significant snows of the season, so
even the "closed in winter" highways along your route should be open.

TK
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Amiram

(Todd Kunioka) wrote in message . com...
(Amiram) wrote in message . com...
Go Fig wrote in message .. .
In article ,
(Amiram) wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for your elaborate answer regards the route and
the warning regards the "desolate roads in America". Moreover I thank
you for remark the scenic routes the Kolob canyons etc. I am now of
process of learning the routes. Your answer gave me the idea not to
set dates of hotels in Vegas but rather to see according to our
schedule on the trip in real time
So it might be we go from Yosemite to Vegas and from there to set our
trip to Zion, Bryce and other scenic places you mentioned.

Again
I am very grateful for your advices
Amiram