Haiti

Old January 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

Default Haiti

Soultice goes to Haiti, why?
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Clint" wrote in message
Soultice goes to Haiti, why?

Hi Ralph.

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/4/2009 8:29 PM, Clint wrote:
Soultice goes to Haiti, why?

Just to **** you off, Ralph.

If you'd bothered to look, you would realize that it is Labadee,
which is one of Royal Caribbean's private "islands" (along with
Coco Cay).

Bill

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

If you wante to see the real haiti you should have visited CAP HATIAN
that was the real haiti,we were there when baby doc took over from papa
doc. It was quite an experience hearing all the voo-doo drums.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
If you wante to see the real haiti you should have visited CAP HATIAN
that was the real haiti,we were there when baby doc took over from papa
doc. It was quite an experience hearing all the voo-doo drums.

Before they put the locals in the market area that they built for them...
they had free run of the place. As you stood in line waiting 30 minutes for
a tender you had hundreds of locals badgering you to buy all their stuff.
Back then (in the early Labadee days) it was probably more like the real
Haiti in Labadee.

--Tom

Old January 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/5/2009 6:35 PM, Tom K wrote:
"Surfer wrote in message
If you wante to see the real haiti you should have visited CAP HATIAN
that was the real haiti,we were there when baby doc took over from papa
doc. It was quite an experience hearing all the voo-doo drums.

Before they put the locals in the market area that they built for them...
they had free run of the place. As you stood in line waiting 30 minutes for
a tender you had hundreds of locals badgering you to buy all their stuff.
Back then (in the early Labadee days) it was probably more like the real
Haiti in Labadee.

--Tom

I like the market at Labadee, they are very willing to bargain.
Can't say the same for the guy who runs the hair braiding
operation there (likely for RCI). Prices were the highest of any
island we visited, and they use the hard sell like "oh don't you
want to have the princess's hair braided". Sadly, it was our
last stop so I had no choice but to pay their price since I had
told my daughter she could have it done.

Someone had posted here that they were upgrading Labadee, and
most importantly adding a dock so you don't have to tender to
get there. That will be nice. That said, we enjoyed our 2 visits
there, even with the tendering.

Bill
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Bill wrote:

I like the market at Labadee, they are very willing to bargain. Can't
say the same for the guy who runs the hair braiding operation there
(likely for RCI). Prices were the highest of any island we visited, and
they use the hard sell like "oh don't you want to have the princess's
hair braided". Sadly, it was our last stop so I had no choice but to pay
their price since I had told my daughter she could have it done.

How much was the hair braiding?
What did you buy that you bargained for? What do they have worth buying?
I'll be there for the first time next month and am curious.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/6/2009 3:53 AM, Goomba wrote:

How much was the hair braiding?
What did you buy that you bargained for? What do they have worth buying?
I'll be there for the first time next month and am curious.

I forget exactly, maybe $45-50? It was the highest at any of the
islands we had visited. BTW they had several women doing the
braiding, but you had to deal with some guy who was running the
operation -- setting prices and collecting the money.

As for our purchases, we bought a couple of painted metal
geckos. Several booths were selling them so it was easy to keep
asking the price and just wait for the best price.

I still remember my first visit to Labadee several years ago
when I bargained one of the sellers down on a bag that my wife
was interested in but ultimately decided that she did not want.
As I was walking away, the guy came running after me trying to
get me to purchase it :-).

Bill
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Bill,

I'm not good at haggling prices, but I think your comment about the merchant
following you out the door is not uncommon. It happened to me in Cartegana,
Columbia, while shopping for emeralds. The clerk had already "checked with
the owner" four times, each time returning with the "lowest" price they
could do. When she followed me to the cab, I told her I couldn't believe her
so I would go elsewhere to buy. She really did look desparate, but then,
the item was a very large rough cut emerald. I bought one at another store.

Harry Cooper
Bill

http://www.usenet.com