Access to a banana plant.

Old November 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tudor Jones

Default Access to a banana plant.

13 year old grandson Alexander will be sailing with us next week in the =
Crown Princess. For some reason he wants to make a hands-on examination =
of a banana plant with bananas that he can touch. Any suggestions as to =
how we can arrange this?

We could take a tour of an island, and see banana plantations through =
the bus window as we go by at 30mhp, but this would not be very good.

I wonder if there are any such tropical plants at Princess Key where we =
make a stop? Would there be any such plants close to Crown Bay, =
Phillipsburg, or wherever?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tudor Jones.

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Nov 24, 9:16*am, (Tudor Jones) wrote:
13 year old grandson Alexander will be sailing with us next week in the =
Crown Princess. For some reason he wants to make a hands-on examination =
of a banana plant with bananas that he can touch. Any suggestions as to =
how we can arrange this?

We could take a tour of an island, and see banana plantations through =
the bus window as we go by at 30mhp, but this would not be very good.

If you know of a plantation that you will pass by on a tour ...
instead of taking that tour rent a cab and have him take you there ...
I've found that the local guy often knows a lot of the people there
personally and you can get some special treatment ...

I wonder if there are any such tropical plants at Princess Key where we =
make a stop? Would there be any such plants close to Crown Bay, =
Phillipsburg, or wherever?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what ports you have on your cruise ... but I do know
there is a banana plantation in St. Lucia that you can visit and tour
on your own ...

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tudor Jones
wrote:

I wonder if there are any such tropical plants at Princess Key where we =
make a stop? Would there be any such plants close to Crown Bay, =
Phillipsburg, or wherever?

Those ports are not known for growing bananas or banana plantations.

--
Charles
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

Tudor Jones wrote:
13 year old grandson Alexander will be sailing with us next week in the =
Crown Princess. For some reason he wants to make a hands-on examination =
of a banana plant with bananas that he can touch. Any suggestions as to =
how we can arrange this?

We could take a tour of an island, and see banana plantations through =
the bus window as we go by at 30mhp, but this would not be very good.

I wonder if there are any such tropical plants at Princess Key where we =
make a stop? Would there be any such plants close to Crown Bay, =
Phillipsburg, or wherever?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tudor Jones.

Tudor, it is wonderful that your 13-yr old grandson will be on the
cruise with you. It is a joy to discover the world through their eyes.
I bet he is so excited, he can hardly sleep at night. No wait, that is
me who does that. lol

You may or may not find banana plantations on St. Maarten, but you will
find isolated banana plants. I went to the Sunset Beach Resort in
Jamaica, which was beautifully landscaped, and they were growing banana
plants that had bananas growing on them. I would rent a car in St.
Maarten and look for tropical landscapes, or you could ask a taxi
driver. I am sure they will help you find what you are looking for.

Here is an article about growing bananas in St. Thomas. Instead of
discarding the old banana stalks, they are using them to make paper and
other articles.

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=28135

Enjoy your cruise, and please tell us all about it when you get back.

Becca

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Nov 24, 9:16�am, (Tudor Jones) wrote:
13 year old grandson Alexander will be sailing with us next week in the =
Crown Princess. For some reason he wants to make a hands-on examination =
of a banana plant with bananas that he can touch. Any suggestions as to =
how we can arrange this?

We could take a tour of an island, and see banana plantations through =
the bus window as we go by at 30mhp, but this would not be very good.

I wonder if there are any such tropical plants at Princess Key where we =
make a stop? Would there be any such plants close to Crown Bay, =
Phillipsburg, or wherever?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tudor Jones.

May I ask where you are from? Near here is Longwood Gardens this is a
world reknown Gardens and there is a inside arboretum, They have
banana plants in there and I am sure if you talk to the right person
they will let him touch them. Do you know once a banan plant bears
fruit it dies?
I was given a banana plant i am growing it you can not kill the sucker
hahahaha
But be caregful on the islands they will have blue bags around the
bananas to keep the BAD spiders off of them
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tudor Jones

Susette ) writes:
On Nov 24, 9:16=EF=BF=BDam, (Tudor Jones) wrote:

May I ask where you are from? Near here is Longwood Gardens this is a
world reknown Gardens and there is a inside arboretum, They have
banana plants in there and I am sure if you talk to the right person
they will let him touch them.

Indeed you may. I come from snowy Ottawa, Alexander from a village
called Winchester about 30 miles south of here.

You remind me that Ottawa has a 1,500 acre experimental farm within the
City limits, and it has series of green houses. One of them is set up to
grow tropical plants. If all else fails, we can try there when we get home.
:-)

Do you know once a banana plant bears fruit it dies?

Yes I did know that. I have seen lots of banana growing on previous cruises.

But be caregful on the islands they will have blue bags around the
bananas to keep the BAD spiders off of them

I recall the blue bags, but did not know that they were to keep the bad
spiders off. One will have to be careful then.

Thanks for your reply.
Tudor Jones.

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rik Brown[_95_]

=
Crown Princess. For some reason he wants to make a hands-on examination
=
of a banana plant with bananas that he can touch. Any suggestions as to
=
how we can arrange this?

We could take a tour of an island, and see banana plantations through =
the bus window as we go by at 30mhp, but this would not be very good.

I wonder if there are any such tropical plants at Princess Key where we
=
make a stop? Would there be any such plants close to Crown Bay, =
Phillipsburg, or wherever?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tudor Jones.

Tudor:

It looks like you are stopping in at Saint Maarten which is an island
that does have its share of banana plants. You might Google "St.
Maarten Zoological and Botanical Garden" and see if
that might suit your needs.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old November 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

clint wrote:

You're grandson needs to get a life...senior ciisen

And you need to get a brain.
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Susette wrote:

But be caregful on the islands they will have blue bags around the
bananas to keep the BAD spiders off of them

We went on some tours earlier this year on Galaxy and saw lots
of banana plants with blue bags, and we were told it was to
prevent the bananas from getting damaged so they could be sold
as unblemished. Never heard anything about spiders.

Bill