How would you salvage this vacation?

Old September 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Ken

Default How would you salvage this vacation?

Bert Hyman wrote in
:
At the moment, my wife and I are so bumed out that we're prepared to
cancel the plane tickets, eat the $200 cancellation fee and just sit
home and sulk.

Contact your airline. In the case of a natural disaster, they will often allow
you to reschedule your flights with no cancellation fee.
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Juliana L Holm

Unfortunately Virginia Beach may be evacuated, so Richmond/Williamsburg will
be hard to reserve. Our local news said many hotels will book up. But rooms
may not be impossible once here. There will certainly be some cancellations.

Julie

Greg Johnson wrote:
The storm continues to weaken as of this evening. If it continues its
right turn by only about ten degrees the major impact will be near New
Jersey. It's expected to increase its movement so that by Saturday it
should be well past the Carolinas. A backup reservation in the
Richmond/Williamsburg area for a night or two probably would not be hard
to get this week. High pressure following a hurricane will bring
beautiful weather. Hopefully your family dynamic is more pleasant than
Dave Smith's - enjoy the trip.

--
Julie
**********
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
Unfortunately Virginia Beach may be evacuated, so Richmond/Williamsburg

will
be hard to reserve. Our local news said many hotels will book up. But

rooms
may not be impossible once here. There will certainly be some

cancellations.

Julie

If a Hurricane comes ashore the weather for hundreds of miles
around is apt to be lousy , lots of rain , wind and weather,
personally I'd be heading well out its track.

Keith

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Keith Willshaw

"JohnDoe" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:14:27 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
Unfortunately Virginia Beach may be evacuated, so Richmond/Williamsburg

will
be hard to reserve. Our local news said many hotels will book up. But

rooms
may not be impossible once here. There will certainly be some

cancellations.

Julie

If a Hurricane comes ashore the weather for hundreds of miles
around is apt to be lousy , lots of rain , wind and weather,
personally I'd be heading well out its track.

hurricanes are usually fast moving storms, they blow by in less than a
day, the only real concern is the damage left in its wake. if the
damages aren't severe there is no reason to stay away after the storm
hits

Old September 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Juliana L Holm

Keith Willshaw wrote:
If a Hurricane comes ashore the weather for hundreds of miles
around is apt to be lousy , lots of rain , wind and weather,
personally I'd be heading well out its track.

Me too. I would not want to be on the Outer Banks Thursday or Friday morning.

Saturday is forecast Sunny and calm, with the Hurricane long gone. I believe
the OP's vacation started
Saturday.

I'd not worry about being in the track of a hurricane AFTER it has passed
through, only before.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Juliana L Holm

When my inlaws had a home there, they, or their renters, were allowed in
as soon as the storm had passed and highways were cleared. Usually th e
next day. Tourism is the lifeblood of this area.

If (and this is a big if) the planes fly, then one will be able to get in.

I'd be surprised if the Banks are not opened by Sunday.

That said, being prepared with Plan B is probably a good idea.

Julie

Bert Hyman wrote:
(Juliana L Holm) wrote in
:

Saturday is forecast Sunny and calm, with the Hurricane long gone.
I believe the OP's vacation started
Saturday.

I'd not worry about being in the track of a hurricane AFTER it has
passed through, only before.

My first concern is about GETTING there.

Based on other experiences with emergency services, I'm just assuming
that it will be several days before non-residents are allowed back
into the area.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

--
Julie
**********
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Liz

Ken wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote in
:
At the moment, my wife and I are so bumed out that we're prepared to
cancel the plane tickets, eat the $200 cancellation fee and just sit
home and sulk.

Contact your airline. In the case of a natural disaster, they will often allow
you to reschedule your flights with no cancellation fee.

I saw on the news yesterday that most, maybe all?, airlines will be
issuing full refunds upon request, no cancellation fees.
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Da Parrot-chick

"Liz" wrote in message ...
Ken wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote in
:
At the moment, my wife and I are so bumed out that we're prepared to
cancel the plane tickets, eat the $200 cancellation fee and just sit
home and sulk.

Contact your airline. In the case of a natural disaster, they will

often allow
you to reschedule your flights with no cancellation fee.

I saw on the news yesterday that most, maybe all?, airlines will be
issuing full refunds upon request, no cancellation fees.

I'm glad to hear this. Sometimes they get cheap when hurricanes and other
weather comes. They aren't obligated to do anything; the contract of
carriage specifically excludes weather as a refundable delay or
cancellation. Good to see that they're stepping up to the plate on an issue
they can ill afford.

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Bert Hyman

In JohnDoe
wrote:

You don't seem to have much experience dealing with hurricanes ...

Well, they don't usually make it this far up the Mississippi.

I did sit through the tail end of one or two during my childhood in
Baltimore though.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN