visiting San Antonio

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:01 AM
John

Default visiting San Antonio

Will visit San Antonio in November, actually staying with some recently
relocated friends up near Bandera (but also spending some time in SA). Last
time saw the Alamo and took a road trip to Corpus, and did a little of the
riverwalk. Wondering what else we should take in this time. Is the zoo
worthwhile if you like zoos?

Thanks,
John

Old September 20th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Shashay Doofray

John wrote in message
Will visit San Antonio in November, actually staying with some recently
relocated friends up near Bandera (but also spending some time in SA).

Last
time saw the Alamo and took a road trip to Corpus, and did a little of the
riverwalk. Wondering what else we should take in this time. Is the zoo
worthwhile if you like zoos?

Thanks,
John

Back in 1984, when I lived in San Antonio, there wasn't much going on.
Since that time, I understand they have really built a lot of neat tourist
things.

I always liked the river walk. They have some lovely restaurants and bars
there. Also, there is a market place that features Mexican type merchandise
that I always enjoyed poking around in.

The zoo is good. I went many times. I would recommend it highly. I think
Sea World is there too. I would definitely take it all in.

Have fun.

SD

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Juliana L Holm

John wrote:
Will visit San Antonio in November, actually staying with some recently
relocated friends up near Bandera (but also spending some time in SA). Last
time saw the Alamo and took a road trip to Corpus, and did a little of the
riverwalk. Wondering what else we should take in this time. Is the zoo
worthwhile if you like zoos?

I have not been to the Zoo in many years, but the park the Zoo is in is great.
There is a beautiful Japanese tea garden to walk through, really lovely, and
they used to have stables so you could ride through the park.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:50 AM
news.charter.net

Yes, they have a very nice zoo there.

See the Alamo and the Alamo movie across the street at the IMAX. Be sure
and see the other missions there in San Antonio. They are overseen by the
Parks Dept. Tours and Museums on the premises. As I recall, they are free.
Each mission has its own personality.

La Villita (the little village) is around Hemisphere Park. Lots of neat
little botiques and restaurants.

Also in the Hemispere Park area is the Institute of Texan Cultures, another
MUST. Be sure to go out on the "back forty" to see the outside displays.
The docents are there during the morning as I recall.

The Riverwalk is a MUST. Take one of the little barges on the river. It
doesn't cost much, and it is pretty.

The Witte Museum is very nice, too, as well as the McNay Art Museum.

Check and see if there is a fiesta scheduled when you visit. There are
several throughout the year, and often have great stalls selling food and
street dances with great music.

Of course the absolute PRIMO time to visit San Antonio is in April during
Fiesta. HUGE parades for several days, NIOSA (Night in Old San Antonio),
and party, party, party!

We lived in San Antonio for four years and think that San Antonio is hands
down the city in Texas with the best personality!!!