Locking luggage - cable ties

Old June 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Harlen Ng

Default Locking luggage - cable ties

I'm flying to Europe and am concerned about how to
best lock my luggage. Are cable ties good enough?
I've seen there are TSA approved master locks but
I've heard they are flimsy and foreign countries may
not have the master key.

Thanks -

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Mark Fagan

Don't bother to lock it and don't put anything valuable and irreplaceable in
it. It is very possible that the bag will be opened under the enhanced
security rules and they will cut any locking device to do it. Cameras, etc.
should be in your carry-on bag, and be prepared to show that they are
functional and not dummies.

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:34 PM
James Silverton

"Harlen Ng" wrote in message
I'm flying to Europe and am concerned about how to
best lock my luggage. Are cable ties good enough?
I've seen there are TSA approved master locks but
I've heard they are flimsy and foreign countries may
not have the master key.

Since most luggage locks are flimsy and not really a deterrent to
theft, cable-ties should do as good a job of preventing the zippers
from opening. I must admit that I have been using cable-ties for
several years and have never had them opened by inspectors. I have a
distinct suspicion that the average inspector would be too lazy to
look for a "master key" for a lock and would use a large screwdriver.
I *have* been asked whether my luggage was locked and have been told
that the cable ties were OK.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Olivers

Harlen Ng extrapolated from data available...

I'm flying to Europe and am concerned about how to
best lock my luggage. Are cable ties good enough?
I've seen there are TSA approved master locks but
I've heard they are flimsy and foreign countries may
not have the master key.

A. No matter how good the lock, it offers but a momentary barrier to
someone who wants to "get into your luggage".

B. With that in mind, the simplest and most commonly practiced solution is
not to lock luggare at all.

C. While traveling, it's not really a good idea to pack items the theft or
loss of which would create a problem other than simple replacement. In my
case, a Size 52 Long blue blazer or tweed sportcoats is hard to find in
Europe, but not worth agaonizing over a luggage lock.

D. Lots of folks use cable ties, less to halt theft, than to calm there
worries about accidental opening. They work fine. In the US, the TSA will
cut them if they want to search your bag, a pretty rare evolutuion
involving a small percentage of bags, but not unknown to me, since I shoot
enough to leave gunpowder residue on things my hands touch, making the
little explosive-sniffing wipes sensitive to my passing. The TSA is
supposed to put new cable ties on bags they open, and usually does.

There's one problem with cable ties, the amount of difficulty some folks
experience in removing them. I suggest that travelers with soft-sided
luggage which will be checked carry a small bladed tool in an outside
pocket of the bag.

TMO
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:34 PM
John Bermont

Olivers wrote:
[...]

Good advice TMO. I've been using the cable ties for years. On my last
trip I slipped a small knife into a side pocket of the checked luggage
to cut off the cable ties on arrival. I also carry a pair of nail
clippers in my carry on and these work well for snipping off the
plastic. Some people claim that nail clippers are not allowed in the
cabin but I have not seen them prohibited. Removing the cable ties is
easier if you leave a little slack in the loop so you can get your knife
or clippers in there. The TSA did remove one of my ties, in my
presence, and put their own blue version of a plastic seal on the bag.

Another item of value to exclude from your checked bag, locked or
unlocked, is personal ID. Some people put a copy of their passport or
drivers license in the bag, either as a back up copy or for
identification if the bag is lost or stolen. In these days of identity
theft do not put copies of anything other than your name, home town, and
phone number in your bag. I pack everything in Zip-loc bags and use a
felt tip marker to write my name and number on each Zip-loc. This makes
it easy for the inspectors to do their job, keeps your stuff in order,
and helps assure that you arrive with everything you started with.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:34:07 +0000, John Bermont wrote:

Olivers wrote:

D. Lots of folks use cable ties, less to halt theft, than to calm there
worries about accidental opening. They work fine.

Good advice TMO. I've been using the cable ties for years.

Another vote for cable ties (but *don't* forget the nail clippers, or
you'll arrive at your hotel late at night with no means of getting into
your bag apart from gnawing off the ties with your teeth ;-)

Along with duct tape, they're the pinnacle of man's achievement on Planet
Earth.

J;

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM
nightjar

"Harlen Ng" wrote in message
I'm flying to Europe and am concerned about how to
best lock my luggage. Are cable ties good enough?
I've seen there are TSA approved master locks but
I've heard they are flimsy and foreign countries may
not have the master key.

I just use the locks on my case. That may not be a good idea for the USA,
but it works perfectly well in Europe. The X-ray operators reckon they can
tell exactly what is in any hold baggage, without the need to open it.

Colin Bignell

Old June 25th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Owain

"Jeremy Henderson" wrote
| Another vote for cable ties (but *don't* forget the nail clippers,
| or you'll arrive at your hotel late at night with no means of
| getting into your bag apart from gnawing off the ties with your teeth ;-)

Or asking the receptionist for the loan of her nail-scissors.

Owain

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:51 PM
TCS

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:54:10 +0100, Owain wrote:
"Jeremy Henderson" wrote
| Another vote for cable ties (but *don't* forget the nail clippers,
| or you'll arrive at your hotel late at night with no means of
| getting into your bag apart from gnawing off the ties with your teeth ;-)

Or asking the receptionist for the loan of her nail-scissors.

Of shoving a key or pen under the cable tie and twisting till it breaks.

Old June 26th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Tim Kroesen

I found a pair of cheap aluminum 'carabiners' (sp?) with a fold in
link/opening for less than a buck. I installed cheap key rings in the
pack zippers: then simply snap them all together. Easily removable and
it keeps those zippers closed: including when wearing the pack and
walking down the street...

Tim K

"TCS" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:54:10 +0100, Owain

"Jeremy Henderson" wrote