Today's Newbie questions .....

Old July 24th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Bob Thomas

Default Today's Newbie questions .....

Hi,

Once again I turn to the experienced, knowledgable newsgroup members
(suck, suck) to find out the answers to today's questions which a-

1) Do they provide coathangers for your clothes in the cheap cabins,
and if so - are they the removable type or the ones that are fixed in.
The reason I ask is that I have always washed out shirts and hung them
on hangers to dry (in hotels), but you can't do that if they're stuck
inside a wardrobe! (Btw .. I'm travelling on the Marco Polo in the
cheapest cabin (I understand it has the main propellor shaft spinning
through the middle of the cabin, and is sometimes used as a bilge tank
- hopefully we won't be lashed to an oar.)

2) Secondly, how many bags do people take on these trips? We always
take one each, because lugging them around from airports to hotels and
on trains etc is a pain. However, I get the impression that cruising
people take an entourage of native porters carrying their entire
wardrobes wherever they go. What's the norm ??? (Not that I've ever
been normal).

3) Being a cheapskate, does anyone mind if you nick a roll or two from
the breakfast table to have as your lunch when wandering away from the
ship? I don't want to have to walk the plank for a minor misdemeanor.

All advice appreciated ....

Bob T.
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM

"Bob Thomas" wrote in message

1) Do they provide coathangers for your clothes in the cheap cabins,
and if so - are they the removable type or the ones that are fixed in.

I've never been on the "Marco Polo", but there are isially 6-8 "hotel type"
hangers in your cabin.

2) Secondly, how many bags do people take on these trips? We always
take one each, because lugging them around from airports to hotels and
on trains etc is a pain. However, I get the impression that cruising

I have a carryon....as well as one 27-inch bag. I slide the latter imder my
bed.

Jim
CRI/English
http://pw2.netcom.com/~jleq/cri1.htm

Old July 24th, 2004, 08:49 AM
villa deauville

How many valises one takes on a cruise is a personel choice. It varies
on how much clothes or other "stuff" you wish to take with you.
There is a poster in this ng that I know for sure takes one valise that
contains othing but shoes ( VVBG

Old July 24th, 2004, 08:53 AM
villa deauville

OOPS. Post not finished.
It is now 4.00 a m and I am half asleep.
Wanted to add (VVBG)

SUNNY..........We all love ya, The lady with the shoes.

Old July 24th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Linsifer

Hi Bob,

I take a little snack away from the breakfast table buffet with no problem.
When my daughter was able to lose 5 pounds on the very one I GAINED as
much...she often took a plain bagel with her when we went into a port just to
get her through the early afternoon. Me, I like the goodies served later, like
the chocolate chip cookies or leftover scones from the Afternoon Tea. (This was
on Princess.) We also took fruit back to our cabin to munch on. You paid for it
after all. :-)

Lindsay

Bob asked:

Old July 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Karen Selwyn

Bob Thomas wrote:

1) Do they provide coathangers for your clothes in the cheap cabins,
and if so - are they the removable type or the ones that are fixed in.
The reason I ask is that I have always washed out shirts and hung them
on hangers to dry (in hotels), but you can't do that if they're stuck
inside a wardrobe!

Even when we've cruised on ships with fixed hangers -- and I think
that's more a reflection of ship style rather than cabin price -- we've
been able to get extra hangers from our cabin steward. These hangers
aren't the fixed type. Do the same and you'll be able to accomplish your
mission.

2) Secondly, how many bags do people take on these trips? We always
take one each, because lugging them around from airports to hotels and
on trains etc is a pain.

The rules about luggage size and weight have changed so dramatically
that I suspect people are changing their packing habits. I know our
habits have changed. My husband and I used to take more and larger
suitcases than we do now. Now, we each take a 24" suitcase plus a
carry-on duffel. We do, in fact, weigh our luggage, but we've never
exceeded the 50 lb. domestic limit that many airlines now impose. Of
course, it helps our cause that we sail on a cruise line that schedules
no formal nights and we're willing to pay shipboard dry-cleaning and
laundry costs!

Karen Selwyn