Carnival vs Princess

Old September 24th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Susan

Default Carnival vs Princess

Planning a 30th anniversary cruise to Alaska next August. Was wondering
what the major differences are, if any, of the 2 ships. I heard the food
is bad on the Carnival, but the rooms are a bit bigger than most other
lines too. We are 50/51 and don't want to be with a bunch of senior citizens

Susan

Old September 24th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Linsifer

I found the food in the dining room better on Carnival, but Princess usually
had tastier offerings in their Horizon Court buffet. Both lines each have some
food items better or worse than the other. Just depends on your tastes. I
especially enjoy the Afternoon Tea on Princess.

Lindsay

Old September 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Becca

Susan wrote:
Planning a 30th anniversary cruise to Alaska next August. Was wondering
what the major differences are, if any, of the 2 ships. I heard the food
is bad on the Carnival, but the rooms are a bit bigger than most other
lines too. We are 50/51 and don't want to be with a bunch of senior
citizens

The ports of call would probably be the deciding factor for me. The
food on the Spirit is very good.

Becca -----enjoys cruising on Princess and Carnival...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Miracle in May http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm

Old September 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:36:05 -0700, Susan wrote:

Was wondering
what the major differences are, if any, of the 2 ships.

What ships?

Old September 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Tom & Linda

Of our 31 cruises to date (covering most of the major mass market lines),
the food on Carnival was by far the worst. Others may disagree (and you've
heard comments to the contrary) but this is my honest opinion. The variety
in the buffet, particularly breakfast, which is an important meal to me, was
minimal on our sailing (Destiny). Instead of a nice selection of fresh
fruits, they had a bowl of canned grapefruit sections and a bowl of diced up
melon. There was 3 huge bins of eggs, bacon and sausages. That was it for
the hot selection. For dinner, salads weren't fresh. Meats were of lesser
quality (shoe leather tough). And I won't even eat seafood unless it's
either Celebrity or Princess.

To be honest though, I have heard better things about the newer class of
ship, however I have no experience with them, and will not spend my money to
go on them. Once was one time too many.

And Carnival now owns Princess and my wife and kids just came back from
their 4th Princess cruise and said that now the food had fallen below the
level of Royal Caribbean's food.

I'm pretty much sticking with Celebrity these days, though I did consider
Crystal (with Crystal you're talking the luxury category) for an upcoming
New England/Canada sailing. I've kind of even written Princess off after my
wife's recent sailing.

I would suggest looking at Celebrity and Crystal. If you're going to spend
big money on airfare to get to Alaska... why not go for something like
Crystal instead of a cheaper line. I've seen Princess specials for $499 per
person, but almost $1000 for air. Why spend $1000 on air for a $499 cruise?

August will be peak family season, so it won't be only seniors on board.
Not on any line.

Just my opinion.

--Tom