Christmas vs "Holidays"

Old December 18th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Geoff Pearson

"jsmith" wrote in message
news:1103081068.f4c58340a6a4fb6c079c5594718575bc@s onicnews...
The secularists have been chipping away at the word Christmas for a number
of years now and are substituting irrelevant (religious ??) concoctions to
diminish the value of the celebration of the birth of Christ. Isn't it
time
we begin boycotting those merchants who in their TV advertising are
exploiting the Christmas tradition yet not acknowledging that this is
truly
the Christmas season. The code word "holiday" season is coming into
increasing use in an effort to minimize the influence the Truths that were
taught by the Prince of Peace.

but holiday just means holy day so that is no better for us evangelical
atheists.

Old December 18th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Clarence

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message

"jsmith" wrote in message
news:1103081068.f4c58340a6a4fb6c079c5594718575bc@s onicnews...
The secularists have been chipping away at the word Christmas for a number
of years now and are substituting irrelevant (religious ??) concoctions to
diminish the value of the celebration of the birth of Christ. Isn't it
time
we begin boycotting those merchants who in their TV advertising are
exploiting the Christmas tradition yet not acknowledging that this is
truly
the Christmas season. The code word "holiday" season is coming into
increasing use in an effort to minimize the influence the Truths that were
taught by the Prince of Peace.

but holiday just means holy day so that is no better for us evangelical
atheists.

NOTE most common use is the first definition.

hol·i·day ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl-d)
n.
1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on
which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to
commemorate or celebrate a particular event.

2. A religious feast day; a holy day.

3. Chiefly British. A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.
intr.v. Chiefly British holi·dayed, holi·day·ing, holi·days
To pass a holiday or vacation.

[Middle English holidai, holy day, from Old English hlig dæg : hlig, holy; see
holy + dæg, day; see day.]

Old December 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Rich Grise

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:47:03 +0000, John Woodgate wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise
wrote (in ) about 'Christmas
vs "Holidays"', on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

Has anyone ever determined exactly how a common housefly lands on a
ceiling? Does he do a loop-the-loop, or a barrel roll?

A barrel-roll, IIRC. This was discovered about 20 years ago, I think.

Thanks for this. Somehow, I had got the weird idea that they reach up
above their head with their front feet, grab the ceiling, and just sort of
swing their butt up like some kind of Olympic athlete on the uneven bars
doing a loop-de-loop or something.

So, are there clockwise-rolling flies and counterclockwise-rolling flies,
like there are right-handed and left-handed people? (and practically
everything else, for that matter, even Moties?)

Thanks again!
Rich

Old December 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
James A. Doemer

"John Woodgate" wrote in message
I read in sci.electronics.design that James A. Doemer
wrote (in
.pas.earthlink.net) about 'Christmas vs "Holidays"', on Fri, 17 Dec
2004:

"John Woodgate" wrote in message
news
I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward
wrote (in

onder.co.uk) about 'Christmas vs "Holidays"', on Fri, 17 Dec 2004:

So, Paul (if he existed) died, and no one
noticed.

There IS reliable independent evidence that Paul existed.

Such as?

Go look. I don't have to spoon-feed you with information.

I see, so such "reliable information" doesn't exist despite your claim. So
noted.