Madrid, Part 6: Miscellaneous

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Default Madrid, Part 6: Miscellaneous

I noticed many people who seemed to be of South American origin. Some
seemed to be on the lowest rung of the ladder, in menial jobs, or
operating as street vendors, or begging. I'm sure that many others are
further up the ladder. I hadn't expected to see such an immigrant
community, but that was my own lack of knowledge and thought: there is
a pattern in Europe of immigration from former colonies. I see it as
the people following their plundered riches.

Shopping can be fun in a place where you don't speak the language. How
do you communicate to a shopkeeper that you want a large pack of
tapered pipe-cleaners? I don't know, but somehow the transaction was
successfully completed. When Herself looked at a jacket, a sales
assistant came over and uttered a paragraph of enthusiastic Spanish
before we were able to tell her that we didn't speak or understand the
language. She had no English, but conducted a strong sales pitch with
smiles and gestures. And, yes, Herself bought the jacket, and is
pleased with it.

Given the time of year (late October) it was not surprising that we
were subject to showers. There are many casual traders on the streets
in Madrid, and with every shower large numbers of them appear with
umbrellas for sale. Fair enough, they have to make a living. But some
were importunate, and tried to sell us umbrellas as we walked along
sheltering under those we already had.

It seems that street trading is either prohibited or controlled. Many
vendors laid out their wares on sheets with bungee cords connecting
the corners, which allowed them to be used as convenient
carrying-packs. I thought little of it until, while strolling along a
quiet street, we were startled by the sound of many running feet. We
stepped out of the way, and about thirty young men ran past carrying
makeshift bags. They were followed by a police car. It looked to us as
if the police target unlicensed traders from time to time, and the
bungee-bag is a necessary appurtenance of the casual vendor. So far as
we could judge, the police pursuit was desultory, and I suspect that
they satisfy themselves by disrupting illegal trade rather than
arresting and charging the traders.

There are a few outlets of the international franchise food operations
like McDonalds, KFC, and Starbuck's but not, in my judgement, as many
as you might expect in a city as large as Madrid. I suspect that this
is because the Spanish have their own very good fast-food tradition in
tapas and racións (supersized tapas).

One serendipitous find was Atocha railway station. We rambled in, even
though we had no thought of taking a train. It has a fine concourse,
but somebody had spotted its potential as a greenhouse, and it
contains a wonderful display of large exotic plants. It lacked only
toucans and parakeets.

I have not commented on the architecture of Madrid, and I don't
propose to betray my enthusiasm by manifesting a lack of expertise.
There are many interesting buildings to entertain the eye, both old
and modern.

We didn't see everything the city has to offer -- a week is not enough
for that. Nor did we venture outside the city, even as far as El
Escorial. But we saw and did and enjoyed a lot. There are many worse
ways to spend a week.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Old January 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
The Reids

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

I noticed many people who seemed to be of South American origin. Some
seemed to be on the lowest rung of the ladder, in menial jobs, or
operating as street vendors, or begging

or as petty criminals, I understand.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Nige

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Padraig Breathnach

I noticed many people who seemed to be of South American origin. Some
seemed to be on the lowest rung of the ladder, in menial jobs, or
operating as street vendors, or begging

or as petty criminals, I understand.

they are mainly Rumanian

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
I noticed many people who seemed to be of South American origin. Some
seemed to be on the lowest rung of the ladder, in menial jobs, or
operating as street vendors, or begging. I'm sure that many others are
further up the ladder. I hadn't expected to see such an immigrant
community, but that was my own lack of knowledge and thought: there is
a pattern in Europe of immigration from former colonies. I see it as
the people following their plundered riches.

I recently had reason to advertise for a senior management job in Spain,
about half of the applicants claimed experiance in South America - mainly
Venezuela, adn Argentina.

Old January 29th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Icono Clast

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
I noticed many people who seemed to be of South American origin.

There were none when I was there. Spain was much worse off than most
of Latin-America . . . and Europe.

there is a pattern in Europe of immigration from former colonies.
I see it as the people following their plundered riches.

Well said!

casual traders on the streets in Madrid, and with every shower
large numbers of them appear with umbrellas for sale. Fair enough,
they have to make a living. But some were importunate, and tried
to sell us umbrellas as we walked along sheltering under those we
already had.

Isn't that true everywhere?

It seems that street trading is either prohibited or controlled
. . . about thirty young men ran past carrying makeshift bags.
They were followed by a police car.

We saw that in Italy. The Carabinieri apparently are tax law
enforcers. Everyone ran but the artists. Actually, they didn't run;
they just closed "shop" and strolled around.

There are a few outlets of the international franchise food
operations

Good news!

There are many worse ways to spend a week.

Indeed. Nice report. Thank you, Padraig.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 04:08:53 -0800, Icono Clast
wrote:

We saw that in Italy. The Carabinieri apparently are tax law
enforcers. Everyone ran but the artists. Actually, they didn't run;
they just closed "shop" and strolled around.

No, the tax law enforcers are a different outfit, called the Guardia
della Finanza. The carabinieri may enforce some other law related to
vending, though.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it