Formal Night Wear

Old August 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Poncho Liner

Default Formal Night Wear

I doubt I can get into the only suit I own and I don't want to go out and
buy another one just
for the cruise to wear on one or two nights and possibly a funeral or two
when I get back.

So, I need to know what is currently acceptable wear for formal nights. I
was thinking along
the lines of slacks, a nice shirt and tie with a sport coat. I could just
rent a Tux but I hear they
are rather expensive to rent aboard ship.

Your recommendation(s) would surely be appreciated as always. And this
topic has probably been beaten to death several times, so I'll just get in
the long line of rehash topic posters.

Old August 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
villa deauville

Above can be purchased at Victorias Secrets :-)

SUNNY

S'nd I
XXX

(* _*)

Old August 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Bill

Here is HAL's policy from their web site.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and
men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two
formal nights per week.
(Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for
formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a
jacket and tie on formal nights.)

Bill
http://shipboard.net

. ..

Old August 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM
villa deauville

HAHAHA No`. It's you who are the idiot. Idiot

(* _*)

Old August 27th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Poncho Liner wrote:

I could just rent a Tux but I hear they
are rather expensive to rent aboard ship.

I think it costs about $85 to rent a tux on most cruise lines. Here is
a link with information for some or all of the cruise lines:
http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

sue
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Poncho Liner" wrote in message
. ..
I doubt I can get into the only suit I own and I don't want to go out and
buy another one just
for the cruise to wear on one or two nights and possibly a funeral or two
when I get back.

Poncho Liner,
Since you can always use a black suit, (or dark navy) why not just invest in
one..as you said, you could always use one for a funeral or a wedding ...or
who knows how many cruises lie ahead for you? ;-) Just dress it up with a
white shirt and black or navy bow tie and you are all set! There are many
reasonable places that you can buy one..do you have a Men's Warehouse or
SteinMart in your area? Others can suggest other stores in your area, if you
don't.

I know that many people do not like formal nights on a ship, but if the
ship's daily paper suggests formal or casual, it is polite to go as
requested..

You didn't mention which cruise ship you were taking.

--Jean

Old August 27th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Eddie" wrote in message
I can't believe anyone would take offense at a dark sport jacket AND
tie on a formal night. Better than wasting money buying a suit he
doesn't need or wasting money renting a tux that could be used to pay
for an excursion.

That's not what I said in my post...I mentioned nothing about anyone taking
offense..He also said he might have use for it on other occasions..so why
not be covered in case any of those occasions unexpectedly arise. Funerals
are not planned! Not knowing how many cruises are ahead for him..who
knows..there may be many! My husband started with a black suit on our first
couple of cruises and then he bought a tux..and here we are 31 cruises
later...good investment!

--Jean

Old August 27th, 2005, 10:00 PM
How B

Poncho Liner wrote:
So, I need to know what is currently acceptable wear for formal nights. I
was thinking along
the lines of slacks, a nice shirt and tie with a sport coat. I could just
rent a Tux but I hear they
are rather expensive to rent aboard ship.

I've taken many cruises over the last 20 years. On every cruise, on
formal night, I have seen a certain percentage of tuxedos, a certain
percentage of suits, and a certain (very small) percentage of sport coat
+ tie. (I think I even saw some polyester leisure suits but we won't go
there.) On some cruises, tuxes outnumbered suits; on others, suits
outnumbered tuxes.

You did not mention a cruise line or itinerary. My observations:
Carnival and Royal Caribbean seem to have fewer tuxes than Princess and
HAL (though Princess seems to be a lot less dressy these days). Cruises
of 10 days + seemed dressier than 7 day cruises. On 3/4 day cruises,
sportcoat + tie far outnumbered suits and tuxes. Alaska seems dressier
than Caribbean and Mexico itineraries.

Many people here on RTC will tell you to rent the tux. I doubt you'll
think kindly of them when you see a few others wearing sport coats on
formal night. Especially when (as on my last Carnival cruise) all the
guys seem to run back to their staterooms immediately after dinner to
change out of their rented tuxedos and into Hawaiian shirts.

For those who would find fault with your mode of dress, consider this:
the essence of good manners is making others feel at ease.

How B

Old August 27th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Charles

In article , How B
wrote:

For those who would find fault with your mode of dress, consider this:
the essence of good manners is making others feel at ease.

Everyone is different but for me I would feel ill at ease wearing a
sport coat when most everyone else is wearing either a tux or dark
suit. When I am wearing my tux I don't care if others are wearing a
sport coat. At least a sport coat is in the spirit of the evening even
if it does not meet it to the letter. And while only a few will
probably be wearing a sport coat and that is usually a blue blazer with
grey dress pants, he won't be the only one. I sort of chuckle about
sport coats because most of my sport coats cost two or three times my
tuxedo. The tuxedo was less expensive than my suits too.

--
Charles
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Cathy Kearns

wrote in message
news:cGlldG1vb3M=.38ff9c7256eaac3c422f884683076bb5 @1125173567.nulluser.com...
Poncho Liner wrote:

I doubt I can get into the only suit I own and I don't want to go

out and
buy another one just
for the cruise to wear on one or two nights and possibly a funeral

or two
when I get back.

So, I need to know what is currently acceptable wear for formal

nights. I
was thinking along
the lines of slacks, a nice shirt and tie with a sport coat. I

could just
rent a Tux but I hear they
are rather expensive to rent aboard ship.

Your recommendation(s) would surely be appreciated as always. And

this
topic has probably been beaten to death several times, so I'll just

get in
the long line of rehash topic posters.

BUY a tux and you will have something to wear on cruises from now on
until fifteen years from now at least that will never go out of style
for a formal occasion. You will get your money's worth that way.
Take it from one who knows.

There is the possiblity that he won't like cruising. In that case, unless
he takes up being a waiter or belonging to a string quartet, he's pretty
much bought a white elephant. I'd go with the sport coat and tie on this
first cruise. If you find you love traditional cruise you might want to
spring for a dark suit or tux. However, I wouldn't believe the 15 years.
1) I doubt there will be formal nights on cruise ships that request tuxes in
15 years, 2) If you fall for cruising it is quite an accomplishment to
cruise frequently and end up the same size.