Daylight Savings Time and train travel

Old October 26th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Susan Wachob

Default Daylight Savings Time and train travel

Gee, Mark. Comprehension problem? I never said I believed it was only an
American scheme. A question mark means it's a question (because I didn't
know)!

Susan

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Susan Wachob" wrote in message

Is this particularly an American scheme?

Of course not! Only an American would believe it is.

Old October 27th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Hatunen

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:21:55 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:26:43 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:35:41 GMT, Susan Wachob

Europe goes on summertime, but the earliest reference to the
concept I know of was from Benjamin Franklin.

Franklin certainly referred to it but given that there was no centrally
recognised time around until the invention of the railroads made
it necessary I think we can ascribe it more to humor than policy.

It could be hard to tell with Franklin, but there was centrally
recognized time, to wit, the time noon when the sun passed over
the local meridian in each community. As was common until the
1960s in the USA each community could choose for itself whether
to use daylight time. Needless to say, such local option could be
very confusing.

Thats why I said there was no 'centrally recognised time'

Ah. I apologize. I took your implication to be that daylight time
was pointless without such a 'centrally recognised time'.

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

Thats why I said there was no 'centrally recognised time'

Ah. I apologize. I took your implication to be that daylight time
was pointless without such a 'centrally recognised time'.

No apology necessary, we all misread things from time to time.

Keith

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:57 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:43:42 -0700, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"

I usually don't comment on people's grammar or spelling on Usenet but
this is done incorrectly alot of the time. :-)

Your lot is alotted your lot of mistakes, but don't make a lot of them.

Unless you live in Alot.

I am glad I am not the only person bothered by the single "alot'. -
catch my smiley?

A muse with this writing could amuse you. A foul is committed when
people run afoul of grammar. Around now a round of talks on the
matter my be necessary. I try to avoid such language but that leaves
a void in my day. If only I could find a way to get away from such
writing I would. A part from going on, a part of me would like to
continue. About now I would like to have a bout with the writer of
that post. But as my flight carries me afar and aloft I left a loft
that I expensively rent in the city, a far cry from my more resaonably
priced permanent home. To arise so early and draft this message might
get a rise from some readers, though. But perhaps a tone of humour
may atone for my facetiousness. I will take a vow to avow never doing
this again Unless there is a gain in it. Now if only there were a
way to get away from it all...

:-) :-) :-) :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Robert Sawatsky

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Susan Wachob" wrote in message

Is this particularly an American scheme?

Of course not! Only an American would believe it is.

For a good history and discussion of DST see:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/