Daylight Savings Time and train travel

Old October 25th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Susan Wachob

Default Daylight Savings Time and train travel

When the time changes tonight for Daylight Savings Time and we "gain" an
extra hour, Amtrak actually stops the trains for an hour to keep on
schedule.

What do they do when we "lose" an hour in the Spring? Obviously they
can't leap forward one hour of travel on the tracks!

For those who don't know what Daylight Savings time is, it's sort of as
follows:

In order to make better use of the daylight hours when the days get
shorter in the fall, we magically "lose" and "gain" an hour by changing
our clocks (and our "reality") back in the fall in the middle of tonight
so it's light earlier. Then in the Spring when days get longer, we move
the clocks forward one hour to get back to where we were.

Is this particularly an American scheme? (hare-brained or clever- you
choose)

Susan
Old October 25th, 2003, 06:43 PM
aNdy

hey hence GMT and British Summer Time

Old October 25th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:35:41 GMT, Susan Wachob
wrote:

When the time changes tonight for Daylight Savings Time and we "gain" an
extra hour, Amtrak actually stops the trains for an hour to keep on
schedule.

What do they do when we "lose" an hour in the Spring? Obviously they
can't leap forward one hour of travel on the tracks!

They simply arrive an hour late; wiht AMTRAK no one notices.

For those who don't know what Daylight Savings time is, it's sort of as
follows:

In order to make better use of the daylight hours when the days get
shorter in the fall, we magically "lose" and "gain" an hour by changing
our clocks (and our "reality") back in the fall in the middle of tonight
so it's light earlier. Then in the Spring when days get longer, we move
the clocks forward one hour to get back to where we were.

Is this particularly an American scheme? (hare-brained or clever- you
choose)

Europe goes on summertime, but the earliest reference to the
concept I know of was from Benjamin Franklin.

Some say the concept originated with an old American Indian who
decided to make his blanket long enough to reach his shoulders by
cutting some off at the bottom and sewing it on to the top.

Old October 25th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Brian K

On 10/25/2003 1:35 PM Susan Wachob while directing tourists to the Zazu
Pits, was inclined to say:

[...]

Amtrack drives the trains through a worm hole.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old October 25th, 2003, 10:15 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

D A Y L I G H T S A V I N G T I M E
NO "S"

NOT PLURAL

NOT POSSESSIVE

It is as if we are "saving daylight'

I usually don't comment on people's grammar or spelling on Usenet but
this is done incorrectly alot of the time. :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:53 PM

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

D A Y L I G H T S A V I N G T I M E
NO "S"

NOT PLURAL

NOT POSSESSIVE

It is as if we are "saving daylight'

I usually don't comment on people's grammar or spelling on Usenet but
this is done incorrectly alot of the time. :-)

I, too, usually don't comment, but it was just too tempting ---
a lot of the time, people misuse alot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Susan Wachob

If they simply arive an hour earliera which you suggest, which of course
makes sense, then all of their schedules have to be revamped- different
times for with or without Daylight Saving Time. Assuming that's the
case, then why the one hour pause tonight?

Susan

Old October 25th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Larry Finch

Susan Wachob wrote:

When the time changes tonight for Daylight Savings Time and we "gain" an
extra hour, Amtrak actually stops the trains for an hour to keep on
schedule.

What do they do when we "lose" an hour in the Spring? Obviously they
can't leap forward one hour of travel on the tracks!

I guess they arrive late.

For those who don't know what Daylight Savings time is, it's sort of as
follows:

In order to make better use of the daylight hours when the days get
shorter in the fall, we magically "lose" and "gain" an hour by changing
our clocks (and our "reality") back in the fall in the middle of tonight
so it's light earlier. Then in the Spring when days get longer, we move
the clocks forward one hour to get back to where we were.

Is this particularly an American scheme? (hare-brained or clever- you
choose)

It is used in some form in most of the world. To see how it is used
elsewhere you can download the free program WorldTime from www.pawprint.net.

It will show you (among many other things) when the time changes and by how
much for hundreds of cities around the world. It will also let you set up a
time display in your choice of cities.

Larry
--
Larry Finch