Flat Tyres

Old July 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Flat Tyres

I think blowouts are fairly rare these days, due to improvement in
tire technology. Usually a puncture will just cause a slow leak.

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Jul 31, 1:41 pm, wrote:
I think blowouts are fairly rare these days, due to improvement in
tire technology. Usually a puncture will just cause a slow leak.

How slow though? I mean, this whole thing happened in around 10-15
minutes at a high speed, and around 5 minutes into it, I was
definitely totally flat, and on the rims not long after. Both times I
heard the nose which I think is what caused the flat (because the
second time it happened, it triggered my memory from the last time, so
I suspected I had a flat, and had better figure out what to do).

S.

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Jul 31, 12:46 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
I have only blown one tire in a car. Ironically, it happened with a
Michelin tire. It should not have been a surprise to me. I spent a year
working on a highway maintenance crew and we used to pick up more blown out
Michelins than all other brands combined. I don't envy anyone blowing a
tire on the 401. Even where there are decent shoulders and you can get to
them, it is not a safe place to be.

I think you said you're former OPP, so it might mean something if I
told you I blew the first flat at marker 295 and drove on it until 320
(I didn't know I was flat, I wasn't even sure something was wrong
until shortly before the first Milton exit).

The second time which was this weekend, I blew it somewhere around 375
or so (Scarborough) but in the Express lanes. I managed to pull off at
Morningside Dr and get into a residential neighbourhood. I knew I was
risking rim damage, but let's see... rim damage costs money (I was
still moving at a good clip despite the flat), and my life will not be
replaced if I get hit while pulled over on that barely car-wide
shoulder... The only safe place to stop is near the offramp, but
pulling off the highway is safest, IMO.

S.

Old July 31st, 2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, I have to ask... how many people have managed to blow a tyre on
their vehicle on the highway? (not including the Dempster highway, or
somewhere that you might expect this... I'm talking an Interstate, or
a paved secondary highway).

Okay, so this weekend I managed to blow my front tyre doing 65mph in
the left expresslane on the 401 (through Toronto). I managed to get
just east of Toronto before I blew it... drove around 10 miles before
I could get off the highway, no it's not safe to pull over on the
express section of the 401, and if you can fit your car on the
shoulder, you don't have much room to put on the spare. Thankfully I
have CAA/AAA to the rescue (the spare isn't even a real tire, and I
haven't a clue where the Canadian Tire is in any given town to replace
the tyres, so free towing is good during business hours).

I only ask, because this is the second time in 18 months I blew a tyre
on the 401... last time was 40 miles west of Toronto. I just find it
odd that in less than two years I've managed to blow two tyres where
most people I know don't even blow one. (Sounds like a rock hitting
the car, then the steering goes wanky... I was nice and calm, third
flat I've ever gotten, second on the highway).

S.

**** happens, I went 10 years without getting a flat then I got two in
single week back in january

Keith

Old July 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Brian K" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tyre is an ancient world capitol. The last time I blew Tyre I was playing
a computer game where you get to wage war on ancient cities.

Here in Britain tire is what happens when you work too hard.
Tyre's are fitted to cars.

Keith

Old August 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Sapphyre wrote:

I think you said you're former OPP,

No. It was a different LEO position.

so it might mean something if I
told you I blew the first flat at marker 295 and drove on it until 320
(I didn't know I was flat, I wasn't even sure something was wrong
until shortly before the first Milton exit).

To me, it would, mean that you didn't blow the tire. You would likely have
heard it blow and then you would immediately have handling problems. You
may have hit something that punctured it and then had a rather quick air
loss. The feeling that you had when it was flat it what you would have
felt immediately upon it blowing.

The second time which was this weekend, I blew it somewhere around 375
or so (Scarborough) but in the Express lanes. I managed to pull off at
Morningside Dr and get into a residential neighbourhood. I knew I was
risking rim damage, but let's see... rim damage costs money (I was
still moving at a good clip despite the flat), and my life will not be
replaced if I get hit while pulled over on that barely car-wide
shoulder... The only safe place to stop is near the offramp, but
pulling off the highway is safest, IMO.

Running on the rims will likely cause damage. A tire that has gone flat is
often repairable, but a tire that you have run on while flat is pretty well
guaranteed to be a write-off. However, personal safety concerns are more
important than a tire and rim since they can be easily replaced.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I think blowouts are fairly rare these days...Usually a puncture
will just cause a slow leak.

..
How slow though? I mean, this whole thing happened
in around 10-15 minutes

A blowout is when a tire goes flat almost instantly. They're dangerous
because they can cause a sudden lose of control. If it takes several
minutes to go flat, it would be considered a fast leak rather than a
blowout.

Old August 1st, 2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Brian Kochera:
Tyre is an ancient world capitol.

Keith Willshaw:
Here in Britain tire is what happens when you work too hard.
Tyre's are fitted to cars.

By greengrocer's. :-)

Now can we talk about travel instead of spelling?
--
Mark Brader | "The net exists to be used. It is a powerful tool
| and as long as people treat it as a tool and not a toy
Toronto | it will prosper." --Jerry Schwarz on Usenet, 1982
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve B.

oups.com...

.
How slow though? I mean, this whole thing happened
in around 10-15 minutes

A blowout is when a tire goes flat almost instantly. They're dangerous
because they can cause a sudden lose of control. If it takes several
minutes to go flat, it would be considered a fast leak rather than a
blowout.

How many people know how old their tires are or can interpret the DOT code
on the sidewall? After six years tires become more likely to fail. And how
many people check their tire pressures?

Old August 1st, 2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Keith Willshaw wrote:
Here in Britain tire is what happens when you work too hard.
Tyre's are fitted to cars.

Why would you use the possessive case? Even here, we would write:

"Tyres are fitted to cars." ;-)

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma