ETA tourist visa ??criminal record help!!!!!!

Old June 27th, 2004, 01:30 AM
alkristensen

Default ETA tourist visa ??criminal record help!!!!!!

Hi my fiancee and i are travelling to aus in jan as part of a round the
world trip.
We will be in oz for about a month and the uk comes under
ETA tourist visa.
I have been told by someone at go matilda when asking
about emigrating that if i have HAD a couple driving bans (1 drink
driving,1 drunk in charge, 6 and 9 years ago,) and other tiny offences
in my long and distant past that i would haved to apply in person to
the aussie embassy in london,otherwise i may be refused entry when we
get there?????

IS THIS TRUE??

surely all the people going through an
airport like sydney a day they cant ask everyones history as it takes
40days in the uk to come through now??

Should i do as ive been told
about presenting my case to australia house or am i being sent the wrong
information, as i live in manchester 250 miles away and work 6 days a
week??

Please help

alk

--
themensroom

Old June 27th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Roger Martin

"alkristensen" wrote in message

[...]

I'd just go ahead and apply for the ETA - I dont think that drink driving is
considered a criminal offence - I maybe wrong, but I think "criminal"
involves offences along the lines of theft, assault, drug trafficking,
beating us at rugby union. For offences committed as a minor you would have
no problem about not disclosing them and other "old" convictions over about
9 years ago.

You may find it impossible to rent a vehicle though.

-- Check out a few BMW & Land Rover parts for sale
http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...sort=3&rows=50

Old June 27th, 2004, 10:42 AM
alkristensen

Hi i need to know a definite answer please as its a long way to be
turned back \from!!

al

--
themensroom

Old June 27th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Jan

alkristensen wrote:
Hi i need to know a definite answer please as its a long way to be
turned back \from!!

al

Why not contact Australia House and ask their advice? see
http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/html/

Jan

Old June 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Ralph

The answer is quite clearly on the Australian immigration website.

"For both types of ETA available through this site, remember that you
will not be permitted to enter Australia unless you are in good health
and have no criminal convictions."

The other poster has a point, however. To the best of my knowledge,
"Criminal conviction" is a technical term used in law and implies a
certain kind of offense - not every offense is a crime!

OP: Just find out if the offenses committed are considered criminal in
British law (doubt it) - it won't be different in Australia (highly
similar legal system).

Cheers,
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Roger Martin

Found this on the Immigration Dept website

The test puts the onus on visa applicants, and visa holders already in
Australia, to prove that they are of good character.

The provision also contains discretionary powers to either refuse or cancel
visas when issues of character arise.

A person will fail the character test when:

the person has a substantial criminal record, defined as where the person
has been:

sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more, or
sentenced to either death or life imprisonment, or
sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more
occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more, or
acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or
insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or
institution,
the person either has, or has had, an association with an individual, group
or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal
conduct,
there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct
in Australia; harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in
Australia; vilify a segment of the Australian community; or incite discord
in the Australian community or in a segment of that community,
having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person
is found not to be of good character, and
having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person
is found to be not of good character.
A person whose visa is cancelled on criminal grounds is permanently excluded
from Australia.