Ferry crossing North->South Island NZ

Old June 21st, 2004, 02:49 PM
davey watts

Default Ferry crossing North->South Island NZ

Hi All,

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question about hotels in Auckland.

As we are going to be in New Zealand for 3 weeks for the first 3 weeks of
september this year, we would like to drive around both islands.

Could any tell me if i will have trouble just turning up at the ferry port
and get the car on the ferry or would it be better to pre book. The trouble
i think with prebooking, is that it sets up time limits of what you want to
do.

Any help much appreciated.
Davey Watt.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:15 AM
Traveller

There have been a number of posts on this topic recently on this forum that
explore this question and the benefits of doing two sept. car hires.

3 weeks for both islands is really pushing it.

Traveller
Reservation Heaven

Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:18 AM
Classic Car Fair

Plus which - the ferry crews always used to go on strike in the
holidays. Do they still? Strategically "clever" but a monumental pain
for travellers.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Nigel Marx

"davey watts" wrote in message
Hi All,

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question about hotels in Auckland.

As we are going to be in New Zealand for 3 weeks for the first 3 weeks of
september this year, we would like to drive around both islands.

Could any tell me if i will have trouble just turning up at the ferry port
and get the car on the ferry or would it be better to pre book. The

trouble
i think with prebooking, is that it sets up time limits of what you want

do.

Any help much appreciated.
Davey Watt.

You should usually get on without a problem, but there is nothing stopping
you booking the day before when you have a good idea of when you are wanting
to go across.
NZ is sort of do-able in three weeks, but you would best advised to do a
flying trip around some of one island for a week and spend 2 weeks having a
better look at the other island. For example, motor down the east side of
the North Island in 3 or 4 days, cross to the South Island and take your
time for 2 weeks and then motor back up the center of the Noth Island back
to Auckland (that's assuming you arrive and leave from Auckland).

Regards

Nigel in NZ

--"How can I be lost if I don't care where I am?"--

Old June 24th, 2004, 12:06 AM
bmwilt2

several of the car rental companies have offices on both islands at
the ferry terminal. We left one car on the south island and they had
a car waiting for us on the north island - under the same contract.

I recommend that you pre-book the ferry. Our trip was almost at
capacity.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:09 AM
..be..

for the sake of an argument, i wouldnt bother with the road in centre,
the coastal roads are much more interesting especially the (sometimes
dirt) roads that hug the west coast south of Port Waikato through
Raglan, Kawhia & Awakino. a beautiful coastline with plenty of sandy
black beaches that make interesting photos. get off the road to places
like Waikawau Beach north of Awakino, where you walk through a
dwarfish tunnel through the cliff to get to the beach.

do yourself a favour and book your ferry the day before from any
internet cafe etc, it definitely saves a lot of hassle & time, as well
as not holding everyone else in the queue up.

Old July 5th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Helen Gerald

vicki Steven wrote in message ...
in article , davey watts at
wrote on 22/6/04 1:49 AM:

Could any tell me if i will have trouble just turning up at the ferry port
and get the car on the ferry or would it be better to pre book. The trouble
i think with prebooking, is that it sets up time limits of what you want to
do.

Hi Davey

It is a lot cheaper if you pre-book - and then there is the regular issue of
whether your hire company will allow you to take the car on the ferry. When
you have only 3 weeks there is not a lot of room for flexibility. There are
school holidays in the last week of September too.

Be aware that there are now two ferry companies on the Cook Strait. In
addition to the Interislander, Bluebridge now operate a car and
passenger ferry. If you are taking a car and haven't booked a long way
in advance, Bluebridge may well be cheaper. They have one ferry bought
second-hand from the Corsica-Marseilles run but it is perfectly clean
and adequate, There's a small cafe and free movies - on our trip
everyone came off singing 'Bear Necessities' from the Jungle Book.
Trip takes about three hours and there are two crossings a day, not as
many as interislander but a viable alternative.

check out bluebridge.co.nz

we bought a car, but I believe most hire companies ask you to cross as
foot passengers and pick up another car on the other side. This makes
the Picton hostels great places for picking up free food. :-)

HTH
Helen
Old July 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM
alfred

wrote on 22/6/04 1:49 AM:

Could any tell me if i will have trouble just turning up at the ferry port
and get the car on the ferry or would it be better to pre book. The trouble
i think with prebooking, is that it sets up time limits of what you want to
do.

Hi Davey

It is a lot cheaper if you pre-book - and then there is the regular issue of
whether your hire company will allow you to take the car on the ferry. When
you have only 3 weeks there is not a lot of room for flexibility. There are
school holidays in the last week of September too.

Be aware that there are now two ferry companies on the Cook Strait. In
addition to the Interislander, Bluebridge now operate a car and
passenger ferry.

The great thing about them is that they charge $110 for a car and $40
for a person, flat rate. Interislander is on,y cheaper if you can get a
super saver, which basically always needs to be obtained a fair while in
advance. I came south on the Bluebridge service last week, no booking,
arrived at 11:30 and was on the 1:00 sailing. They were getting on the
full side, so during school holidays and other peak travel periods,
either booking a day or two ahead or being prepared to wait looks like
it will be necessary.