What to do in Saigon (and Hanoi)

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon

Default What to do in Saigon (and Hanoi)

I arrived yesterday evening to Saigon. After a full day of sightseeing I
have to say that I'm not too impressed. I've "done" the centre and
visited some temples west of Saigon (district 11), then walked a bit
through the Chinatown (Cholon). Is this all Saigon has to offer or am I
missing something? By the way, I'm not too interested in museums, but I
might visit the Cuchi tunnels and the Dao church as a daytrip tomorrow.
Are there daytrips worth doing to the Mekong delta?

Regarding Hanoi, what would be the highlights there?
--

Alfred Molon
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

Alfred Molon wrote:

I arrived yesterday evening to Saigon. After a full day of sightseeing I
have to say that I'm not too impressed. I've "done" the centre and
visited some temples west of Saigon (district 11), then walked a bit
through the Chinatown (Cholon). Is this all Saigon has to offer or am I
missing something? By the way, I'm not too interested in museums, but I
might visit the Cuchi tunnels and the Dao church as a daytrip tomorrow.
Are there daytrips worth doing to the Mekong delta?

Regarding Hanoi, what would be the highlights there?

I'm not a fan of Saigon either, although the food is pretty good. What
you see is pretty much it: Unattaractive and brash to the point of
vulgar.

I did a trip to Phnom Penh via Chau Doc in 2002, which was a nice
little cruise and Chau Doc is a reasonably pleasant place. (You don't
have to cross the border). I didn't do Cu Chi. And avoid Vung Tau as
it's a bit of a hellhole.

Hanoi is definitely nicer: Opera House, water puppets, walk around the
lake, roam the old quarter, try a bia hoi if you drink beer (there's a
good one at 55 Ma May called Viet Ha).

If you're flush with cash, pop into Bobby Chinn's restaurant at the
south end of the lake (although he may be in Saigon now) and tell him I
sent you.

Cheers,

George W. Russell
Bangalore (but currently in the Cyclades)

Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

We were in Ha Noi last month and stayed at a hotel called Classic I. We had
an excellent room overlooking the street for $30/night including breakfast
and free Internet. Walking around the Old Quarter is interesting. We
visited the Ho Chi Minh museum and mausoleum (his body was out for repair).
We thought the Water Puppet show was over-rated.

If you are staying in Ha Noi for more than a couple days, a diversion to Ha
Long Bay is well worth the time and effort. We went over to Ma May street
in the Old Quarter and booked an overnight tour of Ha Long Bay with
Handspan. There are tons of tour agencies in Ha Noi but Handspan is really
good in our opinion. Ha Long Bay probably deserves a longer stay of three
days. We had a great time on our replica junk (Dragon Pearl Junk) even
though it was a short 48 hours. Dinner and lunch on the junk was pretty
good. Each meal was a multi-course event of many, many dishes mostly
consisting of seafood. The trip from Ha Noi to Ha Long Bay by minibus took
about three hours each way.

Had we more time, we probably would have spent a couple days in Sapa, which
is a little longer journey than the one to Ha Long Bay.

rg

. ..

Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon

Thanks. I'm currently in Hue and I will have three days in Hanoi. I'd
guess that the Halong bay trip would be worthwile if the weather was
nice, wouldn't it?
--

Alfred Molon

In article 2fUih.19$6f4.4@trndny08, Sharkbait says...

Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Heathcote

Hi Alfred,

Sounds like it's time to put your feet up.

Old December 24th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Alfred Molon wrote:

Thanks. I'm currently in Hue and I will have three days in Hanoi. I'd
guess that the Halong bay trip would be worthwile if the weather was
nice, wouldn't it?

You will have great photo opportunities in the morning and late afternoon at
Ha Long Bay. The replica Chinese junks turn golden early in the morning and
again late in the afternoon.

rg

Old January 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

The Halong Bay junk cruises are very touristy, but for some reason, it
doesn't really matter much. The area is extremely beautiful, and after a
while you don't even notice the 20 other boats moored near yours. The food
on-board is generally pretty good (though a little too much fried stuff for
my liking), and although everything is planned down to the smallest detail
time-wise, it's still a lot of fun.

--

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos