France, the culture wars over head scarves

Old December 11th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Hatunen

Default France, the culture wars over head scarves

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:06:55 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Earl Evleth writes:

Whatever, the issue is not simple, the culture war wages.

The only party without an opinion is God.

Did she tell you that?

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Charles Hawtrey

Earl Evleth staggered to the nearest keyboard and
wrote:

Are you aware of the anti-Hispanic sentiment in the USA!!

My wife is a first-generation Hispanic immigrant, so yes.

There is no denying that there is some anti-Hispanic sentiment in the
USA. But it is not widespread beyond a few redneck elements and is
certainly not officially sanctioned. My in-laws have never had any
trouble outside of an incident at a gas station many years ago in the
deep South. At the risk of opening a new can of worms, I suspect that
anti-Hispanic sentiment in the USA is comparable to anti-Semitism in
France: there's no denying it exists to some extent, but it appears
more wide and deep from the outside than from the inside.

Language protectionism is pretty strong, Anglos don`t want any instruction
in Spanish.

Which Anglos? Maybe a few protectionists. The "English-only"
movement is generally regarded as a fringe group. In fact Spanish is
by far the most commonly studied foreign language in the USA.

Languages don`t need protecting, they take a course of evolution which
is largely uncontrolled by those who speak it.

Agreed. But try telling that to the Academie Française. :-)

--
hambu n hambu hodo
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Donna Evleth" wrote:

Dans l'article , B
a écrit :

As far as I'm concerned, the government should make no rules about the
wearing of any religious garb unless absolutely necessary. I can see
that it would be necessary to forbid the wearing of a face veil for an
identity card photo and it might be necessary to forbid wearing a
Roman toga while on duty as a firefighter. However, in the case of
headscarves (or yarmulkes) in school, I don't see any reason why the
government or the school should have anything to say about it. The
fact that many Muslims don't want to wear veils is irrelevant. If many
young Catholics don't want to go to Mass, the government has no reason
to outlaw going to Mass.

One of the problems in the schools involves course material. The scarves
are not really compatible with physical education (required in France as it
is in the US) or with chemistry labs. Chemistry is optional, depending on
the student, but physical education is not. The physical education
requirement has often been gotten around by the family providing false
medical certificates, so that the girls will be excused from PE, so that
they don't have to remove their scarves at any time. I don't approve of
this. I do not approve of a law banning the headscarves, but I do feel that
everyone should respect the school curriculum.

Donna Evleth

Do you think they should have to remove the scarf to get a picture for a
driver's license ?

jay
Thu, Dec 11, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Gordon Forbess

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:28:33 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

Language protectionism is pretty strong, Anglos don`t want any instruction
in Spanish.

If you are talking about formal bilingual education programs, they
were a failed experiment in California. They did not die because
anglos were protecting the English language. They died because
English immersion is more effective, and teachers and administrators
are increasingly being evaluated (and funded) according to
standardized testing results.

Gordon

Old December 11th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

Language protectionism is pretty strong, Anglos don`t want any instruction
in Spanish.

If you are talking about formal bilingual education programs, they
were a failed experiment in California. They did not die because
anglos were protecting the English language. They died because
English immersion is more effective, and teachers and administrators
are increasingly being evaluated (and funded) according to
standardized testing results.

Bilingual education is also now out in Arizona as well, save for
certain cases. As in California, a significant part of the
Hispanic population is opposed to bilingual education as being
totally ineffective in serving the needs of their children.