Weather in Italy in Mid-late May

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Chinya

Default Weather in Italy in Mid-late May

We are truly looking forward to our trip to Rome, Venice and Florence,
which will begin on May 18. I have been surprised to see the Weather.com
forcasts over the last few weeks - if what they show is true, it has
been raining nonstop for two weeks, and has been quite cold! I have NO
idea what to pack now! It is too early to ask you folks in Italy what
the forcasts are for the second half of May? What on earth should I plan
on packing to wear at this obviously changeable time of year?

Thanks for your advice, and I am so excited to see some of your
beautiful country!

Chinya

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Luca Logi

Chinya wrote:

I have NO
idea what to pack now! It is too early to ask you folks in Italy what
the forcasts are for the second half of May? What on earth should I plan
on packing to wear at this obviously changeable time of year?

I have been recently looking to some photos shot on May 8th, 2003. We
were all lightly dressed as the temperature was around 30 °C (way too
hot comparing to the average early May).

Yesterday, May 8th, 2004, there were 9 °C (way too cold comparing to the
average early May) and we well all wearing rain coats.

Frankly, I do not believe anybody can honestly reply you.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:16 AM

This year is unseasonably cold and wet, and so far there's no
indication that the next 7 days will bring any significant change. The
best you can do is check again just before you leave, and bring layers
of clothing so that you can quickly adapt to whatever happens.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com

Old May 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
j.e.r.

Chinya wrote in message ...
We are truly looking forward to our trip to Rome, Venice and Florence,
which will begin on May 18. I have been surprised to see the Weather.com
forcasts over the last few weeks - if what they show is true, it has
been raining nonstop for two weeks, and has been quite cold! I have NO
idea what to pack now! It is too early to ask you folks in Italy what
the forcasts are for the second half of May? What on earth should I plan
on packing to wear at this obviously changeable time of year?

Thanks for your advice, and I am so excited to see some of your
beautiful country!

At http://www.eurometeo.com/italian/home you can get
a relatively detailed 6-day weather forecast. Looks
like temperatures at the moment are close to lowest
averages for the month (or even slightly below) but
at least some sunshine is to be expected next week

Mediterrean climate is mainly relatively cold and humid
in winter, hot and dryer in summer. So chances are
that weather will change in May for warmer and dryer,
but I would not count to much on that. For late October
to early May trips to Italy, I usually take a light
raincoat (Gore-Tex or similar) and try not to forget
some almost waterproof shoes. The last time I bought
an umbrella was in November while walking around in
Florence ..... .

Try to make the best out of it: museums and exhibitions
for the rainy days and enjoy the sunshine whenever you
get it. And the hours after rainfalls are imho some of
the best for shooting pictures.

Have a great trip
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Jenn

Chinya wrote:

We are truly looking forward to our trip to Rome, Venice and Florence,
which will begin on May 18. I have been surprised to see the Weather.com
forcasts over the last few weeks - if what they show is true, it has
been raining nonstop for two weeks, and has been quite cold! I have NO
idea what to pack now! It is too early to ask you folks in Italy what
the forcasts are for the second half of May? What on earth should I plan
on packing to wear at this obviously changeable time of year?

Thanks for your advice, and I am so excited to see some of your
beautiful country!

Chinya

we usually travel in Italy in May -- it ranges from chilly and rainy to
sunny and moderate -- very rarely is it hot, although it was rather hot
in Florence the last half of may last year. There are no reliable
weather forecasts 2 weeks out --- travel with a good raincoat type
garment preferably one that packs into a small space and can be stashed
in a large purse or your backpack -- and layer -- at least one quite
warm sweater [I usually have a cotton turtleneck and a polartek
cardigan at least] Also be sure to have a couple of pairs of shoes so
you don't have to don a soggy pair. With any luck it will be 70F and
sunny -- but we have had some very chilly weather in May before.
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 08 May 2004 22:00:37 -0400, Chinya wrote:

We are truly looking forward to our trip to Rome, Venice and Florence,
which will begin on May 18. I have been surprised to see the Weather.com
forcasts over the last few weeks - if what they show is true, it has
been raining nonstop for two weeks, and has been quite cold! I have NO
idea what to pack now! It is too early to ask you folks in Italy what
the forcasts are for the second half of May? What on earth should I plan
on packing to wear at this obviously changeable time of year?

It certainly has been wet and chilly this year, but when the sun does
come out, it warms up quite a lot and very quickly. I have heard that
no change is expected in the weather pattern for the next week or so.

I would suggest bringing a few long-sleeved shirts and a few short
sleeved shirts. (In any case, you can always buy some cheap "souvenir"
t-shirts if you need more.) Long cotton pants should be fine no matter
what the weather. I would stick with closed shoes rather than sandals.
If you do bring sandals, bring a type that could be worn with socks if
it's chilly. Then bring a lightweight cotton sweater and a slightly
heavier sweater or sweatshirt, and a good water-resistant jacket and
an umbrella. This should be sufficient in all circumstances.

Even in summer, it can get chilly at night, so a few sweaters are
always necessary in Italy.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Ricky

"Chinya" ha scritto nel messaggio
We are truly looking forward

"..."
Thanks for your advice, and I am so excited to see some of your
beautiful country!

Chinya

Today in Tuscany (the region where I live) weather has been sunny with
intervals and mainly hot and dry. But as the night went it became to be cold
for a late spring month. Usually here temperature is warm and people wear
light dresses during the day and only a pullover in the night. That's an
unusual weather for Italy which has a typical mediterranean weather.
In the incoming week some cold storms are expected and there's no important
change in sight.
I can suggest you to give a look to the forecast bulletins for Italy and to
the specific regions who are you looking to visit.
Ciao
Ricky

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Tim Kroesen

I hope it's nicer by the week of the 23rd when I'm in your neck of the
woods 'D'!

Anyone venture a guess on what the weather in Windsor will be Thursday
afternoon: or London through the weekend ? Might I expect a nice ferry
ride Harwich to Houk Netherlands on Monday?

BTW I've assembled 36 pages of cut and paste tips and recs for my Three
week vacation courtesy of NG participants to take along with me: Thanks
All!

Tim K

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Tim Kroesen

Picked up the Euroweather link in a subsequent post: thanks , I'll check
the site Wednesday morning before departure.

Tim K

k.net...

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Edoardo Vancini

"Chinya" ha scritto nel messaggio
We are truly looking forward to our trip to Rome, Venice and Florence,
which will begin on May 18. I have been surprised to see the Weather.com
forcasts over the last few weeks - if what they show is true, it has
been raining nonstop for two weeks, and has been quite cold! I have NO
idea what to pack now! It is too early to ask you folks in Italy what
the forcasts are for the second half of May? What on earth should I plan
on packing to wear at this obviously changeable time of year?

It's completely unpredictable.
On May 18, 2003 Italy was expriencing an African climate. This year it looks
like we are living in Norway.

However, try www.ilmeteo.it .

Only the wheather forecasts for the following 4-5 days are for free, so You
have to wait some days.
As for the language (it's written in Italian), I think the Italians on
rec.travel.europe may help you somehow (although the graphics are usually
very clear).

Particularly interesting is the "tutte le citta'" (all the towns) button, on
the left.
There You can have very detailed information on the very town you're going
to visit.

Edoardo