Q: How to get USA sim card for german cell phone

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM
PTRAVEL

Default How to get USA sim card for german cell phone

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message
"PTRAVEL" staggered to the nearest keyboard and
wrote:

Unless it's tri-band, it won't work in the US -- we use some silly

frequency
for GSM that's different from most of the rest of the world. If it is a
tri-band phone, you're limited to one of two service providers: Cingular

or
AT&T. The other major providers, Verizon and Sprint, don't offer GSM
service and won't work with your phone.

T-Mobile also offers GSM (and only GSM) service in the U.S. They have
prepaid SIMs available.

Right, I had forgotten about T-Mobile.

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:49 PM
PTRAVEL

"Daniel Rolf" wrote in message
Thanks for your answers!

What about Internet access.

Most cell phones in the US use WAP for internet access, but it is generally
an extra-fee service and doesn't work particularly well. You can also use
your phone as a modem that works with your PDA or computer. I don't know
about other providers, but Verizon has free low-speed access (14.4k) and
charges for higher-speed access (approx. 40k).

In Germany, the cell phones networks has its own
national area code, so
it doesn't matter if you call from Hamburg or Munich.

Not here. You'll be given a phone number specific to one locality. If
you're within that area, out-going calls will be billed as "local" at lower
rates. Outside of that area is considered "long distance." Some providers'
plans include free long-distance, other's don't. Also, anyone calling you
from outside your local area code will be billed for a long-distance call.

Moreover, there are
internet provider
dedicated to cell phones with a cell phone number local to your club
(Vodafone, T-Mobile, etc.), i.e. you pay only the club rate if you dial

up,
which is much less than calling a number outside your club.
What about this in the US?

I'm not aware of anything like this, though it sounds like a good idea.

And, what about data calls at all using prepaid cards. Is it possible?

bye
Daniel

--
dipl.-inf. cand.-phys. Daniel Rolf
finecode software / www.finecode.de
"Daniel Rolf" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi guys,

I've got a SonyEricsson P800 and want to use it in the US. Can I go into
some shop and just buy some prepaid sim card, or are there any pitfalls?
I will go around with a camper, so I don't have a valid adress in the

US.
Which are good telephone companies, esp. for dialing-up into the

internet
using the cell phone?

Thanks
Daniel