Got a Long Stay visa for "Single Travel"

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Default Got a Long Stay visa for "Single Travel"

Since Single Travel means I can only go to Australia once, will I be
able to take a trip to New Zealand during my 6 months there? I had
difficulty finding information on this. Can anyone point me anywhere,
or know of any visa rules between Australia and New Zealand?

Thanks!

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:57 AM
A Mate

??????

I'm sure people here will be able to help you - once they understand what
you mean!

What nationality are you?

Briefly what is your planned itinerary?

What visa(s) have you already, for Austr or NZ?

ups.com...

Old June 16th, 2005, 02:15 AM
squarenesswafer

hi sorry about that!
weird... i typed out 2 paragraphs, and my first paragraph is nowhere to
be seen in my first post!!

i'm from the USA, and i don't have a planned itinerary yet. I got a
Long-Stay Visitor Visa for Australia that is good for 6 months. I
requested a multiple entry one, but they only gave me a single entry.
I was wondering if that means that I cannot even go to New Zealand for
a short trip and return to Australia on the same visa?

Any idea what the best way to handle this would be?

Thanks :-)

Old June 16th, 2005, 02:32 AM
David Bennetts

"squarenesswafer" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi sorry about that!
weird... i typed out 2 paragraphs, and my first paragraph is nowhere to
be seen in my first post!!

i'm from the USA, and i don't have a planned itinerary yet. I got a
Long-Stay Visitor Visa for Australia that is good for 6 months. I
requested a multiple entry one, but they only gave me a single entry.
I was wondering if that means that I cannot even go to New Zealand for
a short trip and return to Australia on the same visa?

Any idea what the best way to handle this would be?

Thanks :-)

Suggest you contact the Department of Immigration to find out. Single entry
suggests to me that your visa is limited to coming into Australia only once
and if you go outside the country you will need another entry. New Zealand
is an entirely separate country, and Australian citizens need a passport to
go there. Unlike the currently existing arrangements between Canada USA.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old June 16th, 2005, 02:41 AM
A Mate

Hmm! That's tough. You would have been better off applying for an ETA (done
on the internet) which is valid for 3 months and is multiple entry - and
then extending it once here to a 6 month long stay visa (again able to be
done on the internet). It's unusual that they didn't grant you a miltiple
entry visa if that's what you applied for! I'd suggest checking with the
Embassy (or consulate) to which you applied, - easily done, but I suspect
that'd mean a 'run around'; as that seems to be standard behaviour for
Embassies everywhere!

Another option would have been getting an ETA, then heading off to NZ
somewhere about the middle of your visit and returning to Austr from there.

The conditions on a Visitor ETA a It is valid for visits to Australia for
tourism or to visit friends or relatives
a.. It is valid for multiple visits within 12 months from date of issue
b.. The maximum length of each visit is three months
c.. You may not work while in Australia
As it is, I suspect your only option is to visit NZ on your way home, and
either depart from NZ direct for the US, (Air NZ); or if your ticketing
precludes that - simply transiting Austr on your way home.

Re visiting NZ - you can enter NZ, as a US citizen 'visa free' for up to 3
months; but you would not be able to re-enter Australia without the
appropriate ETA or visa.

Good Luck

Web Sites:

Australian Immigration: http://www.immi.gov.au/

NZ Immigration: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/

Old June 16th, 2005, 03:17 AM
squarenesswafer

Argh, i also just noticed that I got an 8503-No Further Stay on my
visa, so i can't apply for another visa while i am WITHIN australia.
this really stinks...

you're right, the best way is to just go to NZ on the way back...

I can't believe that applying for a long stay visa made things MORE
restrictive for me, than having an ETA good for a year and just fly in
and out of Australia.

Thanks for the tip. I might complain to DIMIA but they are not very
responsive :-(

Old June 16th, 2005, 03:24 AM
A Mate

I know it's little compensation for you - but the Immigration Department has
copped a massive caning in an ongoing Senate Committee investigation in the
Austr Parliament. They have been revealed as excessively bureaucratic,
obstructive, and evasive to the point of being dishonest!!

Reform is 'in the air'!

Old June 16th, 2005, 03:55 AM
squarenesswafer

heh, well i guess i'm not the only one having difficulties. :-) I so
badly regret ever going through them, and wish i'd done ETA all the way!

Old June 16th, 2005, 04:34 AM
David Bennetts

"A Mate" wrote in message
I know it's little compensation for you - but the Immigration Department
has copped a massive caning in an ongoing Senate Committee investigation in
the Austr Parliament. They have been revealed as excessively bureaucratic,
obstructive, and evasive to the point of being dishonest!!

Reform is 'in the air'!

I'd hope you're right for the benefit of tourism in Australia. It was said
on the radio this morning that we could potentially get an additional AUD160
million in tourism from the USA if Singapore Airlines had been allowed to
compete on trans Pacific routes. The exisiting airlines, without additional
competition, are obviously making healthy profits out of that route.
The bureaucracy doesn't seem to be achieving much, it's obviously not doing
its job keeping out unwanted visitors, and deterring those that we should be
welcoming.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old June 16th, 2005, 05:07 AM
A Mate

As I'm sure you know, David, 75% of the load on the trans-Pacific route is
carried by Qantas. It provides the major portion of their annual profit!

There is, however a need for caution. The Trans-Tasman route (to NZ) is
over-serviced, with Emirates having almost killed profitability for
everyone. Emirates, like Singapore Air is a Government airline. Of the 3
airlines servicing the Trans Pacific route (in a meaningful way) only Qantas
is profitable. United is bankrupt, and Air NZ is struggling. Turning
Singapore Air loose without protection of some kind for the 3 free
enterprise airline now servicing the route could result in less service and
less competition than exists now!