Places to visit in Barcelona?

Old June 30th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Bobby

Default Places to visit in Barcelona?

I'm about to make my first visit to Barcelona (with my wife and grown-up
children).

What are the best places to visit?

Is there anywhere to avoid?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
Bobby wrote:
I'm about to make my first visit to Barcelona (with my wife and grown-up
children).

What are the best places to visit?

Picasso Museum
Sagrada Familia
Parc Guell

Is there anywhere to avoid?

Watch your belongings around Las Ramblas - longstanding stories of
pickpockets and other petty theft.

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM
William

In the Gothic quarter you can visit the Cathedral and be sure to visit
the City History Museum (I was fascinated with the subterranean
excavations of Roman streets.)

Stroll the Ramblas. (Yes, there are reports of pickpockets; but just be
cautious. This glorious street is not to be missed.) While on the
Ramblas check out the Boqueria Market. The places serving food inside
are an inexpensive and tasty place for a meal.

Stroll the Passeig de Gracia in the L'Eixample district to see the
"modernista" architecture. If you are interested in the architect
Antonio Gaudi, a couple of his houses are open to the public (although
the admission to one of them, Casa Batllo is ridiculously overpriced).

Visit Montjuich Park. The National Museum of Catalunyan Art is
impressive if you are interested in medieval art. The Pueblo Espa=F1ol
is a recreation of buildings from all over Spain. Some people think it's
tacky because of all the souvenir shops, but I enjoyed it. At the
entrance to the park is the Magic Fountain which has a beautiful
illuminated display at night.

If you can get tickets to a concert at the Palau de Musica, the
incredible interior of the concert hall is worthwhile even if you are
not into classical music.

I felt safer in Barcelona than I would in most big cities in the U.S.
Of course I was prudent; I put valuables in the hotel safe and carried
my money in a pouch around my neck.

Barcelona is a wonderful city! Enjoy your visit!

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Iceman

"I'm about to make my first visit to Barcelona (with my wife and
grown-up children). What are the best places to visit?"

The main highlight of the city is the architecture of Gaudi. You
should definitely see at least the Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. If
you are interested in seeing more of his work, the Palau Guell, La
Pedreda, and the Casa Batllo are also worthwhile.

The Museu Picasso is the only must-see museum, and is especially strong
in its coverage of his blue and rose periods. Depending on your
interests, there are also museums devoted to the artist Miro, to
pre-Columbus Latin American art (Museu Barbier-Muller), and to (mostly)
medieval art from the region around Barcelona (Museu Nacional d'Art de
Catalunya).

Las Ramblas is a famous street full of sidewalk cafes and street
performers. It's a great place for people watching, and about halfway
down you will find one of Europe's best and most colorful food markets
(Mercat de la Boqueria). Pickpocketing is a problem on Las Ramblas, so
wear a money belt and watch your bags.

The Barri Gotic is the city's old quarter, containing the stunning
Gothic cathedral and the beautiful square Placa Reial. This is another
area to use caution against petty theft.

Go to the top of Montjuic for a great view of the city.

Old June 30th, 2005, 11:18 PM
PTravel

"William" wrote in message
In the Gothic quarter you can visit the Cathedral and be sure to visit
the City History Museum (I was fascinated with the subterranean
excavations of Roman streets.)

And, while you're there, eat at Cal Pep.

If you can get tickets to a concert at the Palau de Musica, the
incredible interior of the concert hall is worthwhile even if you are
not into classical music.

There are tours available of the Palau. It is definitely not to be missed.

Old June 30th, 2005, 11:19 PM
PTravel

"Iceman" wrote in message
ups.com...

The Museu Picasso is the only must-see museum,

I'd recommend the Miro museum as well.

Old July 1st, 2005, 03:58 PM
congokid

In message , Bobby
writes
I'm about to make my first visit to Barcelona (with my wife and grown-up
children).

What are the best places to visit?

Is there anywhere to avoid?

Download this e-book
http://www.roughguide-betterworld.com/

which then entitles you to some vouchers for free and cut price Rough
Guide 'Directions' e-books for several cities, including Barcelona, for
use on a PDA.

I used mine yesterday to get the Barcelona guide for free - though they
had to email it to me when the download site failed to function.

I assume it will work for email addresses outside the UK.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:59 PM
JuanElorza

Bobby wrote:

I'm about to make my first visit to Barcelona (with my wife and grown-up
children).

What are the best places to visit?

Is there anywhere to avoid?

Cheers.

Bobby

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/
Gothic quarter, Sagrada Familia at least.
You can visit the aquarium too.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Runge

That goes for the metro also
if you go down the steps and suddenly someone in front of you stops to tie
his shoelace, then you know theres a second one just behind you visiting
your bags and pockets and you won't feel a thing
Like in Rome, sadly this is mostly the work of romanians and/or gypsies
So nothing in your pockets except dirty handkerchieves and keep your bag in
front of you !
Othewise, no particular danger.
Otherwise you should like the Gaudi style, particularly houses and
buildings, that guy was a pure genius
Barceloneta is a nice place to stroll and eat