Yolanda Bindics Still Missing (Not all Missing Persons are Equal)

Old July 24th, 2005, 05:17 AM
findyolanda

Default Yolanda Bindics Still Missing (Not all Missing Persons are Equal)

Yet another one of my mass emails hoping to gain some national
attention for Yolanda Bindics. My emails serve multiple purposes for
me. It's not only good therapy for me as I ramble on about the
misfortunes that Yolanda and her family has endured over the last
eleven months but it also serves as a good source for many others to
learn about Yolanda's Case.
I've been watching the news now more than ever and I've come to realize
that not all Missing Persons are equal. Some missing persons have
received extensive media coverage while tens of thousands of other
missing persons get little or no attention. Just recall the coverage
of the missing bride, the missing pregnant women, the Salt Lake City
teen, and the missing Washington intern. I bet you can recall everyone
of those women's names, even though I did not give their names. I
often wonder why these women got such attention while others like
Yolanda Bindics go left on heard of. What do these women have that
others don't have? They are all white, young, attractive,
upper-middle-class women. It is not fair to the million other missing
persons who don't fit into this nice and tidy package.

Now it's Natalee Holloway's disappearance that the media is going
overboard about. Of course, I'm not saying that this case and the other
mentioned cases here aren't an agonizing and a terrible situation for
those involved. It's a terrible situation for any person to have to be
in. Unfortunately, this media attention on so few people overshadows a
million other missing people like Yolanda Bindics, Jamestown NY mother
of four small girls. Yolanda is young and white but does not fit into
the media's "Upper-Middle Class Princess" requirements. Yolanda is no
Princess; but should this stop the media from treating her case as
equally as the other cases mentioned here? Why are her children not
gaining the same respect as the families of these other missing girls?
This lack of respect and equality is not fair to Yolanda and the many
others like her. It's not fair that we have to fight, scream, beg, and
work our tails off to get some attention. Let's take our local
newspaper here in Jamestown as an example of lack of media coverage. It
wasn't until days later that they mentioned Yolanda's disappearance and
it was only a small 3x5 article found in one of the sections of the
paper. Halloway's case on the other hand made the front page. It wasn't
until it was discovered that a local police officer, Michael Watson,
was named as "the person of interest" that our local media sources
started giving Yolanda's case any real attention. Michael Watson has 12
criminal charges and 23 department misconduct charges pending. The
disciplinary case includes alleged harassment and stalking of two other
female police employees and two Jamestown civilians, none being
Yolanda. Among the department disciplinary charges he's accused of
being absent from his jailer duties just hours after Yolanda vanished.

Don't get me wrong there were some real nice heart-filled pieces done
about Yolanda, unfortunately these media sources came from Buffalo and
not from our own town which is about an hour from buffalo. There has
been no real news on Yolanda in quite some time now. It's as if our
local community has already forgotten about her. You would think more
people would care, considering she is still missing and her abductor is
still out there.

Yolanda was last seen on Tuesday, August 10th, 2004 at 8:20 p.m.,
sitting in her car, talking on her cell phone in the parking lot of the
Family Dollar Store on Fluvanna Avenue where she worked, after locking
the shop up for the night. She told her brother, who was watching her
four daughters, that she was stopping on the way home to buy some milk
and cash a check. Yolanda's car was found the following evening at a
local Arby's restaurant, also located on Fluvanna Avenue. Since then
Yolanda's purse and keys were found washed up in some nearby sewers.
Her cell phone was not in the purse and there has not been any cell
phone activity since. There were no groceries in her car and the check
was never cashed. As for the Police Officer involved, Michael Watson,
there has been no new information lately; it's as if his scrupulous
activities have gone left unpunished.

On a lighter note I would like to thank the Chautauqua County Sheriff's
Office for the speedy recovery of the missing 400lb wooden mascot.
(Sarcasm intended!)

Still Keeping Faith, Michelle Jamestown, NY (Please Forward to all your
contacts)
http://pages.prodigy.net/mykwb/FindYolanda.htm