Favorite bistros in Montreal & Quebec City?

Old April 13th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Mike M

Default Favorite bistros in Montreal & Quebec City?

Our first visit to these cities is coming up, and from time spent in
France, we have a real fondness for local, non-touristy French
restaurants - the kind of places where you will see many more locals
than visitors. So in Paris, for example, we have had good experiences
in small French restaurants carrying the "Paris Pas Cher" designation.

Does anyone have recommendations for such places in these two Canadian
cities?

Thanks

Old April 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM
blah blah

I would say check out the plateau due mont royal. tons of
restaurants/bars. I went this really good/cheap place on the corner of
rue rachel and (I think) st denis, it is one of the major strips....I
will have to ook at my cc receipts to find the name...in general, it is
difficult to get a bad meal in Montreal!

another cool thing about the plateau, apportez votre vin (keeps down
the cost of the meal if you are a lush like me)

also, check out the chowhound message boards!

(I have never been to QC, so I can't recommend anything)

Old April 20th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Dave Smith

Mike M wrote:

Our first visit to these cities is coming up, and from time spent in
France, we have a real fondness for local, non-touristy French
restaurants - the kind of places where you will see many more locals
than visitors. So in Paris, for example, we have had good experiences
in small French restaurants carrying the "Paris Pas Cher" designation.

Does anyone have recommendations for such places in these two Canadian
cities?

In Montreal there is an area on rue St.Laurent near rue des Pins where
there are lots of outdoor restaurants serving decent food at decent
prices. Prince Arthur is a short pedestrian street lined with cafes. A
few blocks north is rue Duluth where there is a wonderful Portuguese
restaurant.

Old April 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM
j.e.r.

"Mike M" wrote in message roups.com...
Our first visit to these cities is coming up, and from time spent in
France, we have a real fondness for local, non-touristy French
restaurants - the kind of places where you will see many more locals
than visitors. So in Paris, for example, we have had good experiences
in small French restaurants carrying the "Paris Pas Cher" designation.

Does anyone have recommendations for such places in these two Canadian
cities?

In Montreal you can find plenty of good to very good
restaurants, with imho less chances for "tourist traps"
compared to many cities in Europe.

If you like wine with your food and want to keep cost at
reasonable level, look for restaurants allowing customers
to bring their own bottle; depending on the place,
a service charge may apply:
http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite.../175/caps.html
And if you have some special bottle in mind, check at
http://www.saq.qc.ca/ - I found at SAQ several excellent
bottles hardly known outside the producing region or
country .... .

One of the restaurants I like to return in Montreal is
"L'Actuel" on rue Peel (between Ste-Catherine O and
Leveque O, not far from "the" hotels Queen Elizabeth,
Chateau Champlain and Sheraton Centre) for its Belgium
cuisine (mussels and french fries with mayonnaise are
almost als good as in Belgium!).

Years ago I had many occasions eating out in restaurants
near that Montreal business center - mostly great,
once just average and just once really below .... .

For Quebec-City I rarely had the occasion dining out,
but on my last trip (Feb 2005) I was at Restaurant L'Academie
Place Ste-Foy (shopping center area on the way from
the highway to downtown Quebec-City if you dont drive
along the "fleuve" St-Laurent); not really a charming
place, but food and service was definitely worth the
money - any they dont serve alcoholic bewerages, you
can bring them with you ....

Have a great trip!
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Dave Smith

"j.e.r." wrote:

In Montreal you can find plenty of good to very good
restaurants, with imho less chances for "tourist traps"
compared to many cities in Europe.

I am not sure about that. Montreal does have some decent restaurants with excellent prices. It is, in my
experience, the least expensive city for tourists to find decent food.

Tourist traps are always located in prime tourist locations and jack up their prices accordingly. Walking a few
blocks from prime tourist traps like Champs Elysee will open up a whole new world of good restaurants with decent
prices.