How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

Old August 26th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Iceman

"...seriously i'm testing the water, if this trip can be made cheaper
i.e. substitute country A for country B then that's really what i'm
after."

Sure. From London, take Ryanair to Poland, travel around Eastern
Europe by train down to Istanbul, tour Turkey by bus, then fly to
India. Spend time going around India by train, then fly to Bangkok.
Go by road and river through Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia, then return
to Bangkok. Take a detour to a Thai island beach, and then return to
Bangkok for a flight to Australia. In Australia, you see the country
on an Australian airpass, and if you need cash at that point you work
for a few months and save money for the rest of your trip. Next, you
go to New Zealand, and then fly from Auckland to Santiago, Chile. From
Santiago you travel north through Bolivia and Peru winding up in Lima
where you fly back to London.

That's probably half the price of your initial itinerary, and would let
you experience several regions of the world, and tremendous cultural
and natural diversity.

Old August 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

"Mr Pirate Fun" wrote in message
oups.com...
$100,000 should take care of Flight, Rail, Car, Visas, Taxes,
Medical, Insurance, Sight Seeing, 2-3 Star Hotel, Entertainment,
Food.

Its a guess.

I appreciate it's not going to be cheap but please read the post I
specified ? not $!!

No, you did *not* specify pounds. You typed some silly character
and your silly newsreader didn't use the required character set
encoding, not in (the Subject: of) your OP, nor in (the body of)
your response [1].

Honestly some people!

Indeed!

[deleted]

[1] I don't expect my newsreader to fix (the Subject:/quoting of) a
broken posting, but you never know.

Not taking sides here, and I know one should be able to convert $$$-
be they US or Aus- to ???
But....erm..... The original subject header did show ??? :-)

No, that's the whole point, it did *not* 'show' pounds. It 'showed' a
non-ASCII character, hex A3. Because it was not encoded (as it
*should* have been), its interpretation was undefined. *If* ones
character set was set to ISO 8859/1, it would come out as a pound
symbol, but it's rather unrealistic to expect such a setting,
especially when posting to international groups, like the OP did.

In short: The OP had:

Subject: How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

^ unencoded hex A3 character

but it should have had:

Subject:
=?iso-8859-1?q?_How_much_(=A3)_should_i_budget_for_this_tr ip=3F?=

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

as some of the responses had. And it should have had:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as some of the responses had, but it didn't.

It's kind of funny/sad when people post a posting like this, i.e.
about a trip to many other countries, and expect people to adapt to
*your* currency, while you do *not* adapt to other character sets.

Hi Frank I'm not technically minded. The Op post appeared on my computer
complete with "pound" signs.
Which is what I said in my reply where indeed ,it does read on my computer
as "pounds". However on your reply, my pound sign reads as question
marks.

Jan

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:37 PM
DDT Filled Mormons

On 26 Aug 2005 20:52:35 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

It's kind of funny/sad when people post a posting like this, i.e.
about a trip to many other countries, and expect people to adapt to
*your* currency, while you do *not* adapt to other character sets.

But seriously, who thinks about that sort of stuff? I would usually
expect the Pound symbol, along with the $ and Euro symbol to just
magically work.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Miss L. Toe

I would do different bits as separate trips returning to the UK to work to
top up funds as necessary.

UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich) - POLAND (Auswitch, Warsaw) -

Add Checz republic, budapest etc and do East Europe in 2-3 months in spring
or Autumn.

RUSSIA
( St. Petersburg, Moscow)

Hardly worth it - IMO

- INDIA (Delhi, Japiur) -

Worth at least a month on its own backpacking around.

CHINA (Bejing) -

Combine with Japan.

HONG
KONG - THAILAND (Bangkok) - AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) - NEW ZEALAND
(Auckland, Wellington)

A return to Oz with a two day stop in Hong Kong and a 4 week stop in
Thailand, and a side trip from OZ to NZ for 3 weeks in a camper van.

- FIJI (Suva)

Any particular reason for Fiji - or could you pick any random south pacific
island ?

- PERU (Lima) - BRASIL (???) -

3 weeks in Peru and a trip by boat down the Amazon. (after climbing over the
Andes)

SOUTH AFRICA (???) -

Direct flights from the UK can be found for under 500 GBP (note the lack of
a $ or £ or ? sign)

EGYPT (Cairo)

A two week nile cruise / side trip to Cairo can be had for about 500 GBP.

Old August 27th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Miguel Cruz

Jan wrote:
Hi Frank I'm not technically minded. The Op post appeared on my computer
complete with "pound" signs.
Which is what I said in my reply where indeed ,it does read on my computer
as "pounds". However on your reply, my pound sign reads as question
marks.

Frank's point, which is a good one, is that the message only appears with a
pound sign on some computers, because it was incorrectly done (the fault of
the newsreader used by the original poster, which is broken software).

For other people the symbol would not show up correctly.

Remember, just because it worked on your computer doesn't mean it worked on
everyone's. If it was done right, it would have worked on everyone's.

miguel

Old August 27th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Miguel Cruz

DDT Filled Mormons wrote:
But seriously, who thinks about that sort of stuff? I would usually
expect the Pound symbol, along with the $ and Euro symbol to just
magically work.

The $ symbol is part of ASCII and will always work. The pound and euro are
not, and require special treatment.

miguel
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Citizen Ted

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:28:30 GMT, "Rubber Ducky"
wrote:

UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich) - POLAND (Auswitch, Warsaw) - RUSSIA
( St. Petersburg, Moscow) - INDIA (Delhi, Japiur) - CHINA (Bejing) - HONG
KONG - THAILAND (Bangkok) - AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) - NEW ZEALAND
(Auckland, Wellington) - FIJI (Suva) - PERU (Lima) - BRASIL (???) -
SOUTH AFRICA (???) - EGYPT (Cairo) - UK (Birmingham)

I'm thinking i'll fly to munich, then train to moscow, then fly to delhi,
fly to bejing, fly to hong kong, fly to bangkok, fly to melbourne, fly to
auckland, fly to suva, fly to lima, train to brazil fly to SA, fly to egypt
and then fly back to the UK.

I'm estimating about a 2 year round-trip, working as and when I need/want
to.

Can anyone give me a rough budget and also point me in the right direction
as to where there are savings to be made?

Assuming you're traveling alone and on a budget, this trip will cost
you exactly £28,977.

You're welcome.

- TR
- omniscience is just one of my charms.

Old August 27th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Rubber Ducky

Anyway what is $100,000 is it US$ or AUZ$ or NZ$?

... can we please get back on topic