American Airlines sucks!!!

Old November 9th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Gregory Morrow

Default American Airlines sucks!!!

Jack_LoD wrote:

Let me start by saying that I live in Eastern Europe and money here is
tight. To me the $584.00 American Airlines stole from me is huge. It
all started in February this year when the american company I work for
decided to bring me over to the states for a short visit on business.
Thinking back, I remember I was happy and excited. Eventually it all
turned into a negative experiance I will never forget.

The company purchased the tickets from Al Italia, where I was to fly
with Al Italia on the international flight and with American Airlines
in the U.S. to my final destination. Everything went well until at
Dallas Airport where I was supposed to make my final connection I
discovered that I was missing one of the four flight coupons. I
immediately went to the check-in person. She didn't like me. I don't
know why. I tried hard to be nice but it didn't help. She didn't say
much. Just every time I told her something she would move her head and
say "no". My luggage was already on the plane, because I boarded in
Miami and was all checked and had seat assigned already so I thought it
shouldn't be that big of a deal. But all she kept saying was "no". No
explanation, nothing. Maybe because I was white and she was black,
maybe it was some kind of racism, I don't know. At the end she told me
to wait. I waited and waited until it was literally time to board and
then she took me to another black woman who told me that the only thing
she can do is sell me a new ticket. At this time the passangers were
almost all boarded so I felt a l lot of pressure to make a decision and
after she said the ticket was a good deal and there isn't anything
better I signed the credit card statement and rushed over back through
security with my shoes off and belt in one hand my carry on luggage in
the other to get on the plane. I don't have anyone in America I was
afraid if I missed the plane I would be stuck at the airport.

Anyway, when I got on the plane, I was able to see how much she charged
me for that one coupon- $584.00. I was shocked. The whole ticket with
four coupones cost $160ish why would they charge me that much? On the
ticket said first class, which I was told later by American Airlines
only meant that I was charged first class but not that I had a first
class seat. There weren't any first class seats available anyway. On
top of that they charged me not just for that part of the flight but
for the previous one I already flew before Dallas.

So I was charged more than TEN times what Al Italia charged me for the
exact same flight- same date, time and airline, aircraft, for first
class but without flying first class, no meal and I was charged for an
extra trip I flew on my original ticket.

Later I contacted American Airlines explaining my poor financial
situation and aksing for a reasonable price for the coupon I lost. For
one thing, it is impossible to have a two way communication with
American Airlines customer service. The way it works is - you send them
an email and they respond you with an email, to which you can't respond
back. Every time I sent them a request, plea, complaint- you name it-
they answered the same exact way. I almost feel they have ready
templates for any case they answer everyone and probably never read the
emails. Their answer was that the AA employee gave me the best
available deal at the moment. No answer to how could that be the best
deal if it is ten times more than what I bought from Al Italia for the
exact same flight with AA, no answer to why they included an extra trip
that happend prior to the purchase, no answer to why it is first class
when I didn't request first class nor there were first class seats
available anyway.

A friend suggested that I complained to the better business bureau but
the answers they gave the bbb were copy/pasted answers they gave me
already.

I kept sending emails every month, because I had the hope that if
someone at AA actually reads my emails I may get a partial refund.
Finally I got a "unique" answer and all my hopes died with it.

At last someone did read my emails and they gave some answers.

"I have reviewed the ticket which you were required to purchase from
us, and although
you mentioned it was a first-class ticket, it was actually a
coach-class ticket which
included the ability to upgrade to first-class, without additional
charge, if there
were seats available in our first-class cabin."

On the ticket it says in bold capital letters "FIRST CLASS", nothing
else. I guess their system may say something else. But for goodness
sakes why would you not print anything about it on the ticket or even
sell such ticket when there is zero percent chance to upgrade anyway?
You can basically claim anything that way too. You get to upgrade to
first class on your hundred'th birthday but we will charge you for it
now.

"Our agents simply sold you a ticket with us, due to the loss of your
Alitalia coupons." - Once again it was just ONE coupon. But I don't
call this just simply selling a ticket. I call this robery disguised as
selling a ticket.

They further advise me to seek refund for my portion from Al Italia. In
essence get $40.00 refund from Al Italia to offset the $580 American
Airlines ticket.

They mentioned nothing about the extra trip they charged me for either.

She closed with the standard, I have seen in all AA previous emails:

"I'm very sorry I'm unable to assist on this occasion. However, I
hope to
have your understanding in this regard.

This is an "outgoing only" email address. If you 'reply' to this
message by simply
selecting the reply button, we will not receive your additional
comments. Please
assist us in providing you with a timely response to any feedback you
have for us by
always sending us your email messages via AA.com"

I have lost all hope of ever getting any justice from American
Airlines. I hope I never have to go back to the U.S.A. again.

Being that this little contretemps is all due to typical Italian
innefficiency on Alitalia's part I hope that this is a good lesson for
you...

--
Best
Greg

Old November 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Matteo

What the hell "typical" Italian inefficiency!!???
Think about how US people sometimes doesn't want to help you because you are
not US citizens !

Old November 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM
jcoulter

"Matteo" wrote in
:

What the hell "typical" Italian inefficiency!!???
Think about how US people sometimes doesn't want to help you because
you are not US citizens !

I have lost all hope of ever getting any justice from American
Airlines. I hope I never have to go back to the U.S.A. again.

Being that this little contretemps is all due to typical Italian
innefficiency on Alitalia's part I hope that this is a good lesson
for you...

In all fairness it is about how service workers in the US don't always give
service, sort of like trying to get assistance at Printemps in Paris.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old November 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Sprocket

It happens almost everywhere. I live in the US. My luggage was lost
in Aguascalenties, Mexico. The Aero-Mexico agent took every Mexican
before me. I waited almost 2 hours to speak to someone. Nothing I
could do about it, but wait & smile.