2007 vacation

Old September 24th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
traveler2007

Default 2007 vacation

I should say thanks for the replies and I guess the criticism goes with
it.

Before I ever posted here, we were considering Argentina, Uruguay and
Brazil, but decided it was too much for one vacation. So we limited
the trip to 2 countries.

I am not making the reservations myself, so I am relying on a travel
agent for some advice. I don't recall if we were intending to go from
Montevideo to the falls or Buenos Aires first, then the falls. In any
event, from what I've heard, the view of the falls is better from the
Brazilian side and without a visa, I can't cross the border.

With only four days/three nights scheduled in Argentina, I was not
interested in shuffling around like a refugee with or without baggage
to go to the falls, watch the water come down and say "ooh, wow" and
say I've been there. It is not much different from seeing any other
major falls or an active volcano or the like.

I may have gotten the plane situation wrong, but whether it was a
'puddle jumper' or 747, I was not going to go from Montevideo one
night, to Buenos Aires the next, hop on a plane the next day fly to the
falls, then fly back the day after back to B.A. That hardly
constitutes relaxation. I could have that much stress on the New York
City subway system for much less money.

As for the quality of the hotels, someone snidely said they had better.
Maybe you did. maybe you never left your home and are just saying
that. I'll never know and maybe that is the beauty of cyberspace.

I can look up internet reviews which I have done already. I was just
asking people in this group if anyone knew of these places.

WAS wrote:
"JohnM" a écrit dans le message de news:
In article , Sander van
Hulsenbeek writes

I think they mean the smaller airport on the Argentinian side - they
will be coming from BA.

Even the planes coming from BA are Boeing 737....

WAS

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Cisarik

"traveler2007" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

You're welcome for my own input, and thinking back, I don't think I was
critical; I didn't know the hotels you mentioned, and recommended some that
I knew from having stayed at them.

About Iguazú: If you go there on some future trip, here's what I tell
people: You SEE the falls better from Brazil, since that majority are on the
Argentine side of the river and you see much of that panorama only from
Brazil, but you FEEL the falls better in Argentina, where you are hardly
more than an arm's length from some of them. If you were to visit the falls
and only see them from one side, it wouldn't really matter; the experience
is a memorable one, and if you don't have the other half of it you don't
know what you've missed (and therefore don't miss it).

Enjoy your trip!

Old September 28th, 2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
traveler2007

John Cisarik wrote:

About Iguazú: If you go there on some future trip, here's what I tell
people: You SEE the falls better from Brazil, since that majority are on the
Argentine side of the river and you see much of that panorama only from
Brazil, but you FEEL the falls better in Argentina, where you are hardly
more than an arm's length from some of them. If you were to visit the falls
and only see them from one side, it wouldn't really matter; the experience
is a memorable one, and if you don't have the other half of it you don't
know what you've missed (and therefore don't miss it).

Enjoy your trip!

The travel agent suggested going to Brazil on a future trip and include
the falls. that could be a plan.

This is the furthest away from the US I will have ever traveled.
Hopefully I will sleep on the overnight flights since I hate being in
those little airline seats for any extended period of time.

I am looking forward to relaxing on the beach of Punta del Este for a
good 4-5 days.

Rich

Old September 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
sandra

I stayed at De Las Americas in BA in January this year. The hotel isa
standard 3 star in a large city- it was clean, has all the usual room
amenities,. staff friendly & a reasonable breakfast buffet. From memory
some of the rooms on the higher floors were still to be renovated
However staff were happy to move us to another room on request. A
restaurant tip: down the corner from the hotel is a restaurant serving
excellent steaks (yes I know there are plenty of these in BA-this one
is close to the hotel for a tired traveller)- I think the restaurant is
called Liberator or similar- from the hotel entrance, turn left & the
restaurant is on the corner of the next cross street, only a few
minutes' walk. Have fun- BA is a great city, shame about Iguaczu. As
another poster here has said- if you ever go to the Falls, visit both
Argentina &Brazil. The bulk of the water is on the Argentinian side.
There are many opportunities to get up close (and wet) The best views
are from the Brazilian side.

Sandra
traveler2007 wrote:
I posted something to this group a few months back. The thread more or
less died as I was waiting to get an itinerary from the travel agent.

Our trip is going to be 5 nights in Punta del Este at the Golden Beach
Resort, one night in Montevideo at the Balmoral Hotel and 3 nights in
Buenos Aires at the De Las Americas Hotel.

We opted not to go to Iguazu Falls as it is too much movement in too
short a period of time and we probably would have too much luggage for
the small planes that go to the falls.

I have seen some reviews online for these places. Has anyone in this
group been to any of these hotels?

thanks,

Rich

Old September 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
traveler2007

thanks for the hotel information and the restaurant suggestion. I'll
see what I can find about it.

thanks again.

Rich

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
2thman[_1_]

It looks as if several on the forum have been to the Falls Iguazu and
some have arrived at the Argentine side. My question concerns ground
transportation from the international airport in Buenos Aires to the
domestic airport. (flights to/from Iguazu use a different airport from
teh international one.) Anyone have advice about who to contact, who to
avoid? We have a few hours after arrival from the US to make the
connection at the other airport, but don't have a plan about how to get
from one to the other. Is there a good taxi or limo service that could
take us and luggage (modest amount) ? What about cost?

Thanks for your help in advance.

John

--
2thman
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Cisarik

"2thman" wrote in message

It looks as if several on the forum have been to the Falls Iguazu and
some have arrived at the Argentine side. My question concerns ground
transportation from the international airport in Buenos Aires to the
domestic airport. (flights to/from Iguazu use a different airport from
teh international one.) Anyone have advice about who to contact, who to
avoid? We have a few hours after arrival from the US to make the
connection at the other airport, but don't have a plan about how to get
from one to the other. Is there a good taxi or limo service that could
take us and luggage (modest amount) ? What about cost?

Thanks for your help in advance.

John

--
2thman

To get from Ministro Pistarini, the international airport at Ezeiza, to the
Aeroparque Jorge Newbery, in the city on the edge of the river, I would
recommend taking transport by Manuel Tienda Leon. They have several levels
of service: from a minivan that might carry about a dozen passengers, and is
the cheapest, to a remis (accent on the second syllable), an unmarked car.

I've used their services on several different trips, and recommend them
highly. You'll see their desk, with a lion-head logo, after clearing customs
in Buenos Aires, and my recollection is that their staff speak English (I'm
not sure, because I speak Spanish). The minivans or buses, in case they call
them that, run about 30 minutes apart all day, but don't run from about
midnight to 6 a.m.; you can arrange a remis on the spot.

They have a Web site at www.tiendaleon.com or perhaps www.tiendaleon.com.ar
(I'm not sure which, and my software made those links without my knowing
which of them will work.)

Good luck!

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Magiel Venema

Gop to the website of the Buenos aires airport annd there you will find
what you are looking for: http://transargentina.com and
http://www.interhabit.com/buenos_air...377-1-3-16.htm