Wheelchair/scooter questions

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Wheelchair/scooter questions

Bob has been amenable to discussing our next cruises.

I thought we'd like to go to Bermuda. The options are

1) in June either before or after my (younger) sister's 50th wedding
anniversary party. Advantage - if I go out of NYC on NCL we will go
to St. Georges and Hamilton. Disadvantage - in the summer it will be
hot and we will have to find a place to park and a way to get to the
port.

2) October from Charleston. Advantage - can see grandchildren.
Disadvantage - children usually come home in October to the Oyster
Festival and we wouldn't be here for that.

3) November from Baltimore on either Carnival or RCI. If we did b2b,
the RCI Caribbean would be the same as last year's trip. If we did
Carnival it would be the Bahamas.

I'm leaning toward Carnival. We have never been on Carnival and we
don't like RCI that well. It would be the last cruise to Bermuda in
the fall which is good and would be about 15 days.

We are discussing either buying or renting a wheelchair or a scooter.
I have reduced lung function and problem knees and back. I can walk
some on flat solid surfaces (not so good on sand or grass or gravel),
but I can't walk far, fast or down steps very well. I can't stand for
more than about a minute. I have a cane that I can use to sit on.

In Bermuda, we like riding the ferries and buses and it looks like the
ferry to St. George will still be running in early November. I do not
see how we could use a scooter in Bermuda on the buses. Not sure
about the wheelchair. The same for Nassau and Freeport. What could
I really do with a scooter or wheelchair in either place?

So questions
a) What would be the optimum for me to use in Bermuda and the Bahamas
- wheelchair, scooter, combination or neither???
b) If there are limited options to use a scooter/wheelchair off the
ship, could I reserve a ship wheelchair or would I have to rent one?

Then for the winter there are three different 14 day cruises on three
different ships that we could take out of Florida that would have at
least one new port. HAL Nordam, Crown Princess or the Celebrity
Constellation. Have never been on Princess. We like HAL and
Celebrity. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Old March 31st, 2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

I thought we'd like to go to Bermuda. The options are

1) in June either before or after my (younger) sister's 50th wedding
anniversary party. Advantage - if I go out of NYC on NCL we will go
to St. Georges and Hamilton. Disadvantage - in the summer it will be
hot and we will have to find a place to park and a way to get to the
port.

For St. George and Hamilton you need HAL not NCL. June is not all that
hot in Bermuda. Low humidity.

Bermuda is not al that accessible. You can take a scooter or wheelchair
on the ferry. You can't take them on the bus. If you take a wheelchair
someone is going to have to push it (Bob). I have been pushing my
mother in a her wheelchair a few blocks, I am in fairly good shape, and
it gets tiring pretty fast. So I suggest a motorized wheelchair then or
scooter. From what you say I think a scooter but you might want to talk
to your doctor. Medicare will pay part of the cost of either a
wheelchair or scooter.

Then for the winter there are three different 14 day cruises on three
different ships that we could take out of Florida that would have at
least one new port. HAL Nordam, Crown Princess or the Celebrity
Constellation. Have never been on Princess. We like HAL and
Celebrity. Does anyone have any recommendations?

That is hard to say without knowing the itinerary but having been on
Crown Princess and Constellation, between those two the Constellation
is way better. Less crowded, better service and better food on
Constellation.

--
Charles
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BikeRider50

On 3/30/2011 7:07 PM, Charles wrote:

Bermuda is not al that accessible. You can take a scooter or wheelchair
on the ferry. You can't take them on the bus. If you take a wheelchair
someone is going to have to push it (Bob). I have been pushing my
mother in a her wheelchair a few blocks, I am in fairly good shape, and
it gets tiring pretty fast. So I suggest a motorized wheelchair then or
scooter. From what you say I think a scooter but you might want to talk
to your doctor. Medicare will pay part of the cost of either a
wheelchair or scooter.

Isn't this a wonderful country? Here we have a poster discussing her
ability to easily pay for 2 different 14-15 day cruises for her and her
husband and someone tells her how to scam Medicare into buying her a
scooter or electric wheelchair.
No wonder Medicare is going bankrupt. Not to mention all the State
Medicaid programs that can't keep up. It makes you wonder just how many
people with real medical needs that can't get treatment feel because
people like Charles and gmbeasley are working the system to pay for
multi thousand dollar devices to make their bi-yearly 2 week vacations
more enjoyable.

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:07:27 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I thought we'd like to go to Bermuda. The options are

1) in June either before or after my (younger) sister's 50th wedding
anniversary party. Advantage - if I go out of NYC on NCL we will go
to St. Georges and Hamilton. Disadvantage - in the summer it will be
hot and we will have to find a place to park and a way to get to the
port.

For St. George and Hamilton you need HAL not NCL. June is not all that
hot in Bermuda. Low humidity.

OK I realized had the wrong ship after I posted.

It would be the end of June and end just before July 4th. That would
mean we would be traveling on July 4th weekend.

The last time I was in Bermuda at that time of year it was 1963 and I
was pregnant. I didn't notice that it was less humid than where I
live (Maryland).

Bermuda is not al that accessible. You can take a scooter or wheelchair
on the ferry. You can't take them on the bus. If you take a wheelchair
someone is going to have to push it (Bob). I have been pushing my
mother in a her wheelchair a few blocks, I am in fairly good shape, and
it gets tiring pretty fast.

We had a beach wheelchair for Cumberland Island and it WAS hard to
push. But I don't think normally it bothers Bob much. I have pushed
my mom in a wheelchair and it wasn't that bad.

We had a friend on a scooter and he was in Bermuda with it He got on
the ferry to St. George, but then he couldn't go anywhere after that
so just came back to the ship.

So I suggest a motorized wheelchair then or
scooter. From what you say I think a scooter but you might want to talk
to your doctor. Medicare will pay part of the cost of either a
wheelchair or scooter.

I go to respiratory therapy with people who have had strokes or who
are on oxygen. I am not as bad off as those people. I've got a hang
tag for my car, but I don't use it unless there are no other
reasonable places. So I wouldn't ask Medicare.

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

It would be the end of June and end just before July 4th. That would
mean we would be traveling on July 4th weekend.

The last time I was in Bermuda at that time of year it was 1963 and I
was pregnant. I didn't notice that it was less humid than where I
live (Maryland).

I was going by what you said which was June. If you mean July you
should say July. I was there last June, the middle of the month, June
13 and the weather was pleasantly warm. I have been there in July. In
July it gets hotter and more humid.

--
Charles
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:42:36 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

It would be the end of June and end just before July 4th. That would
mean we would be traveling on July 4th weekend.

The last time I was in Bermuda at that time of year it was 1963 and I
was pregnant. I didn't notice that it was less humid than where I
live (Maryland).

I was going by what you said which was June. If you mean July you
should say July. I was there last June, the middle of the month, June
13 and the weather was pleasantly warm. I have been there in July. In
July it gets hotter and more humid.

The cruise starts at the end of June and ends in July. So it is both
June and July. Actually I think the worst part of that cruise timing
would be getting home afterward.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

In article ,
wrote:

I'm leaning toward Carnival. We have never been on Carnival and we
don't like RCI that well. It would be the last cruise to Bermuda in
the fall which is good and would be about 15 days.

We are discussing either buying or renting a wheelchair or a scooter.

someone who is NOT Ray Goldberg wrote:
But...but...but...shouldn't Carnival be *obligated* to provide you with
a wheelchair or scooter for FREE?? After all, we're talking about your
HEALTH here!!!

No it isn't for my health in the sense that I would died without it.
Unlike I guess a CPAP machine which I don't have.

There are some cruise lines that charge quite a bit for bottled water
(can't remember which ones) and some that don't. We don't buy bottled
water to drink anywhere except possibly in Cozumel, and there we go to
one of the back street grocery stores that the locals use and buy a
gallon jug of it for cheap.

I don't think the cruise lines save that much buying in bulk because
water is heavy to transport which is the problem that Janet has. It's
like my problem with cranberry juice and RCI. They will give me a
small amount of juice in a glass with ice and charge me $2.04 for
that. I could buy a whole jug of cranberry juice and have enough for
the whole cruise, so I won't pay $2.04 per glass for it. Now that I
know that, I will know to bring my own. It won't keep me from sailing
with them just because I have to bring cranberry juice.

We like to fill our water bottles on the ship with water from the tap
which is often R/O water and that is as good as any distilled water in
our opinion. I don't think we BUY distilled water for anything except
the batteries on the boat which are lead acid batteries and need to
have additional water added periodically.

Anyway - if I bought a wheelchair or scooter it would be for more than
just one cruise. The last cruise we got a wheelchair from the ship,
but they wouldn't let us take it off the ship. I think it might be a
good idea to rent one first to see how I liked it. But I'm not sure
that either Bermuda or the Bahamas is a good place to do that.